Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds... New Worrying Behaviour.

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I feed them and get sh/t for thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

So my thread went down like a lead balloon and the birds are not suffering at-all,.they just not eating junk food and are happier and fitter than ever.
    I'm actually glad I started this thread now. Birds Rock 🙏👍

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Limpy wrote: »
    I feed them and get sh/t for thanks.

I don't feed them in my area anymore the left the car absolutely destroyed with pigeon and seagull sh¡te, I rather bring the bread up to the swans and ducks. I'm not a 100% sure about this but I think uncooked rice grain killed pigeons. The council kill off a load of pigeons at certain times of the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Are they woodpeckers? Probably just starting the job so the can try to sell you the full roof refurbishment job...

Or those pesky Russian no woodnicks trying to rob your insulation to build there gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

5G drives 'em nuts
    Trust me I'm not going crazy!?
    But has anyone noticed the birds are trying to feed on what's left in roof gutters,really pecking hard into them and also pecking hard into exposed timber on sheds and similar.
    I'm starting to put 2&2 together and I'm concerned that there isn't any food around any more for our feathered friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Please don't give out about the birds. We have a pair of pheasants visiting our garden multiple times a day. Over a month ago the hen arrived, pecking away at the bird food we leave out. A week or so later, the cock appeared. Now the two of them are there non stop. She has a bad habbit of geting into the flower beds and cleaning herself - it's a great thing to watch. And he is contantly shaking himself and fluffing himself and shouting like a mad thing.

To hell with tv, netflix, youtube etc....... watching this couple is the place to be! And hopefully we'll have some wee birds in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

The birds work for the bourgeoisie!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

FanadMan wrote: »
    Please don't give out about the birds. We have a pair of pheasants visiting our garden multiple times a day. Over a month ago the hen arrived, pecking away at the bird food we leave out. A week or so later, the cock appeared. Now the two of them are there non stop. She has a bad habbit of geting into the flower beds and cleaning herself - it's a great thing to watch. And he is contantly shaking himself and fluffing himself and shouting like a mad thing.

To hell with tv, netflix, youtube etc....... watching this couple is the place to be! And hopefully we'll have some wee birds in a few weeks.

They're not native birds, bred and released by people who enjoy blasting them with shotguns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭RayCon

Speaking of birds .... My Mrs said "with all this spare time , why don't you make a bird table ?". Now she's not talking to me cos I put her in 5th place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Akrasia wrote: »
    If anyone is bored during the day, leave an old tennis ball in the garden on a patio or other hard surface and watch the birds come to it to try to take some of the fibers for their nest

I get a good gathering of sparrows after brushing my animals out the back. All the better if no wind and it doesn't move around the yard much. They reuse as nest material in April/May. Every last scrap is gathered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

414kFw8yKkL._AC_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

FanadMan wrote: »

Are you sure its not the neighbours whose in your garden, this social isolation and cocooning lark, has everybody looking extremely different

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Kylta wrote: »
    I don't feed them in my area anymore the left the car absolutely destroyed with pigeon and seagull sh¡te, I rather bring the bread up to the swans and ducks. I'm not a 100% sure about this but I think uncooked rice grain killed pigeons. The council kill off a load of pigeons at certain times of the year too.

feeding bread to ducks and swans is like feeding them junk food, it isnt good for them, they get fat and cant escape predators. you are supposed to feed them grapes, corn, bird seed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

The crazy b@stards devour chicken!
    Does it not taste a bit....."familiar" to them??

They're not native birds, bred and released by people who enjoy blasting them with shotguns.

Indeed. Practically tamed, thats why they're not afraid to wander into fanads garden. Hunting for sport is particularly sickening in this instance where the 'sport' element is non existent.

We too had a pair of pheasants visiting our garden last year. Every day for a few weeks. Absolutely beautiful creatures. Happily pecking the ground beneath our bird feeders, alongside a multitude of small birds. Then one of them disappeared. Met his maker, literally. The other pheasant stood at the highest point of our rockery and called for him all day long. It was actually heartbreaking. Then she was taken too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Indeed. Practically tamed, thats why they're not afraid to wander into fanads garden. Hunting for sport is particularly sickening in this instance where the 'sport' element is non existent.

We too had a pair of pheasants visiting our garden last year. Every day for a few weeks. Absolutely beautiful creatures. Happily pecking the ground beneath our bird feeders, alongside a multitude of small birds. Then one of them disappeared. Met his maker, literally. The other pheasant stood at the highest point of our rockery and called for him all day long. It was actually heartbreaking. Then she was taken too. :(

Indeed, sport my arse.

There's research suggesting that internal parasites carried by farmed pheasant are strongly implicated in decline of grey partridge in Europe and thought to be a factor in the scarcity of corncrake here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's the truth of nature.

We're the top of the foodchain. We rule the roost, pardon the pun.

Explain that to the bacteria that’ll munch you down to nothing when you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Thankfully there's no hunters around here. Most of the land is wild so very little argriculture.....plenty of places for them to nest and forage.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

**** them, we've got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

The Human Being takes precedence over all other creatures on this planet.

Wont be very long until we're not even part of the food chain at all thanks to attitudes like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

The Crows and Gulls love chicken. There is almost everyday remains of snackbox chicken bones on my yard and driveway. Every window in my house and on my car is destroyed in ****, My yard is like a rockery from them and they spent all day on my roofs doing their thing, making noise and general messing. The Crows are very playful and happy as for the Gulls they are the thugs of the bird world all brawn no brain, mad noisy things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Birds have been on this planet, OP, since Archaeopteryx, a hundred and forty million years ago. Doesn't it seem odd that they'd wait all that time to start a war against humanity.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

It's the truth of nature.

We're the top of the foodchain. We rule the roost, pardon the pun.

Will he say that if a lion tries to eat him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We've loads of birds in our garden. Feed them all year round. They are a joy to watch:)

We've one particular blackbird that seems to be singing even louder than usual, maybe because of the lack of noise around and we live in what would be classed a very quiet area at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Not shot though. Not until Nov afaik. Because they're all bred and fed by people , as said no fear of us . Wander the roads so a fair bit of roadkill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

No cos the chicken you eat is not even meat its processed protein matter and so far removed form the flavours of real bird flesh, try a wild bird sometime the flavour is unreal whereas a mopdern farmed chicken is not much different than tofu tasteless needing loads of seasoning to have any taste !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

No cos the chicken you eat is not even meat its processed protein matter and so far removed from the flavour's of real bird flesh, try a wild bird sometime the flavour is unreal whereas a modern farmed chicken is not much different than tofu tasteless needing loads of seasoning to have any taste !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Eh, birds eating birds is like mammals eating mammals
    Ever have a burger or rasher before?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Now that you mention it, those pork chops I had last night did taste somewhat....familiar.
    "Muaahahahaha..."

Advertisement