Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grey Windows

Options
  • 26-04-2020 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Looking at picking windows in the next month or so, it looks like grey windows are very popular.
    Any opinions on them?
    I have to a cottage and for planning the are two wigs and a porch that have to be clad in Grey limestone for planning.
    I have to have sash windows and can pick any colour apart from grey my other option is cream but I’m unsure how it look against the grey stone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Choose grey, limestone is grey , depending on window supplier , or cost depending on slim frames etc, the grey will sit/ hide very neat.

A cream light frame will look like a a window frame drawn on a blackboard. If you want this look.

The lighter frame will be just that, it will stand out against the darker angular frame of a window opening and be the feature that provides the purpose of a window and an aesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Lleyn elec

Choose grey, limestone is grey , depending on window supplier , or cost depending on slim frames etc, the grey will sit/ hide very neat.

A cream light frame will look like a a window frame drawn on a blackboard. If you want this look.

The lighter frame will be just that, it will stand out against the darker angular frame of a window opening and be the feature that provides the purpose of a window and an aesthetic.

Thanks for that, sash wouldn’t be a light gram do you just confirmed what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Lleyn elec wrote: »
    Looking at picking windows in the next month or so, it looks like grey windows are very popular.
    Any opinions on them?

Hard to get architects to consider anything outside of RAL7xxx ;)
    In saying that there is a pretty wide range of greys to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It is amazing that planning authorities ask for stone cladding which is a totally non traditional building style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

fatty pang wrote: »
    50 shades I believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

fatty pang wrote: »

99% of the time you can tell a house immediatley where they owners chose the colours instead of an Architect! The clash stand out a mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wanted dark blue windows till I found out how much extra they would cost, so I went for dark grey, against white rendered walls (as yet un-re-painted but still, white) and a bright red door, and they look great.

edit, against grey limestone I would go for a very dark grey if the limestone is light and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Lleyn elec

looksee wrote: »
    I wanted dark blue windows till I found out how much extra they would cost, so I went for dark grey, against white rendered walls (as yet un-re-painted but still, white) and a bright red door, and they look great.

edit, against grey limestone I would go for a very dark grey if the limestone is light and vice versa.

Thanks, I’ll look at the light grey. Hadn’t though of it. As much as I don’t like some of his work I found this pic of Dermot Bannons and I think the windows are light grey?
    Looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I think black framed windows look well with grey but I’m not an architect

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

What is with the fascination with RAL 7*** on homes. I've noticed more and more are putting them in their homes in housing estates against red brick and white dash etc...

Looks good on some modern built one off homes etc but for the most part I think greys and blacks are very industrial looking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Lleyn elec

Consider white for the inside frames of the window. This makes it easier when you wish to choose or change the interior decorations.

unfortunately white internally and a different colour externally could cost approx €500 more

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

consider a pastel light green, I think would look fab in both sash and more modern glazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

See a lot of front doors that green color nowadays. We put anthracite grey in a few years ago when it wasn't as common. It'll probably be totally unfashionable in a few years n white will be retro!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

We went for an ivory colour for the inside of the windows and doors, dark grey outside. Cost just under €1,000 extra (14 windows, 2 doors, 2 sliders) , but well worth it as a dark grey window frame on the inside does not look great.

Advertisement