Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1400 WFH Laptop Recommendation

Options
  • 25-04-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

Summer internship has been changed to working remotely, still unsure with the situation about being given a laptop to use but I know generally junior employees aren’t given laptops. In the mean time, I’m looking at some options and have a budget of €1000-€1400.

I’ve used MacBooks my whole way through college but I need to run excel on windows so can’t go for a mac. I’m currently using parallels but would rather keep my personal and work device separate and there’s a chance that they’ll provide some reimbursement if they don’t provide us with a laptop.

Basically, I just need something that is going to work and is not full of bloatware. I’m used to the mac booting and waking up instantly but this has never been the case with any windows laptops I’ve owned (it’s been 4 years in fairness though). Would prefer something that is sleek with a good battery life as I might end up using it for my masters and sell the mac in the long run.

I’ve been looking at the Thinkpad X1 Carbon but is coming in at €1500+ with a student discount and only has as 8th gen i5 and 256gb SSD.

Also looking at the new XPS-13 is €1439 with 10th gen i5 and 512SSD.

Is there any reason I’m missing why the thinkpads have a premium attached the price tag of the DELL?

Also open to any other options if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

You looking to spend 1000-1400 just to run Excel?
    If you like mac so much just stick with and get Office for mac. Files created on mac can be opened on PCs and other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

reklamos wrote: »
    You looking to spend 1000-1400 just to run Excel?
    If you like mac so much just stick with and get Office for mac. Files created on mac can be opened on PCs and other way around.

Apologies, I didn’t mean for this to come across as an anti-windows post.

I know the work will involve using multiple Excel workbooks at once along with powerpoint in tandem, hence why the high spec. Excel for mac doesn’t have the same functions as Windows.

multiple ms office programs running concurrently are nothing to modern quad-core cpus

you don't need to (and shouldn't) spend any more than this

https://www.box.co.uk/53010WHT-001-Honor-MagicBook-14_2916295.html

quality all-metal build and light and portable (1.38kg)
    quad-core cpu and can be used to its full potential in this design due to good thermal efficiency
    long battery life
    fast ssd
    8gb ram - plenty for what you are doing
    decent IPS screen (good contrast and viewing angles e.g. for group work)
    Huawei is the manufacturer - makes quality goods. no relevance here to recent talk about google apps on phones

Don’t buy an XPS, they’re massively overrated. I’ve a 15 that’s nothing more than a paperweight.

I’d recommend the Thinkpad range. Great keyboards on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don’t buy an XPS, they’re massively overrated. I’ve a 15 that’s nothing more than a paperweight.

I’d recommend the Thinkpad range. Great keyboards on them.

Why on earth would it be paper weight? Makes no sense.

Personally if I am working on large Excel sheets and such I would want the largest screen I can get. I would not want to do that on small laptop screen.

I currently use a large screen and full sized keyboard and mouse with my work laptop when I'm WFH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have a G7, couldn't recommend it highly enough, 10% student discount will get you a top of the range 1 for your price range

beauf wrote: »
    Why on earth would it be paper weight? Makes no sense.

Personally if I am working on large Excel sheets and such I would want the largest screen I can get. I would not want to do that on small laptop screen.

I currently use a large screen and full sized keyboard and mouse with my work laptop when I'm WFH.

It’s a paperweight because I also have a thinkpad. Has a rubbish keyboard too.

It’s a paperweight because I also have a thinkpad. Has a rubbish keyboard too.

If you have two laptops with rubbish keyboards I see a pattern.... ;)

glasso wrote: »
    multiple ms office programs running concurrently are nothing to modern quad-core cpus

you don't need to (and shouldn't) spend any more than this

https://www.box.co.uk/53010WHT-001-Honor-MagicBook-14_2916295.html

quality all-metal build and light and portable (1.38kg)
    quad-core cpu and can be used to its full potential in this design due to good thermal efficiency
    long battery life
    fast ssd
    8gb ram - plenty for what you are doing
    decent IPS screen (good contrast and viewing angles e.g. for group work)
    Huawei is the manufacturer - makes quality goods. no relevance here to recent talk about google apps on phones

These Chinese mac wannabes are pretty decent. 3 years ago I got Jumper Ezbook for my wife. It came with 6GB of ram just needed to add SSD to it, spent less than 300 in total. It is still going strong and she does use it for excel book keeping. If you can claim some money back sure have a look at known brands but you will be paying extra.

Clareman wrote: »
    I have a G7, couldn't recommend it highly enough, 10% student discount will get you a top of the range 1 for your price range

he is looking for something "sleek" and with "good battery life" - not exactly two

attributes that gaming laptop will ever be accused of.

• Advertisement

reklamos wrote: »
    These Chinese mac wannabes are pretty decent. 3 years ago I got Jumper Ezbook for my wife. It came with 6GB of ram just needed to add SSD to it spent less than 300 in total. It is still going stron and she does use it for excel book keeping. If you can claim some money back sure have a look at known brands but you will be paying extra.

in fairness Huawei is a few rungs up from Jumper, no disrespect.

at the top end, Huawei make some of the best-regarded laptops in the world e.g. the Matebook X Pro.

If you have two laptops with rubbish keyboards I see a pattern.... ;)

The XPS 15 has a rubbish keyboard. The Lenovo has a great one.

If the OP wants to do lots on Excel then the last thing they want is an awful keyboard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

he is looking for something "sleek" and with "good battery life" - not exactly two

attributes that gaming laptop will ever be accused of.

There's an eco mode that lets the battery last for ages, I've the 17" version so that's never going to be considered sleek but there's 15" and 13" versions as well

in fairness Huawei is a few rungs up from Jumper, no disrespect.

at the top end, Huawei make some of the best-regarded laptops in the world e.g. the Matebook X Pro.
    None taken. I thought it will not last a year as HP at the same price range was worse spec and folded in just over 6 months.

Huawei, Xiaomi etc. are really doing pretty good tech now so I would not shy away from them.

There's an eco mode that lets the battery last for ages, I've the 17" version so that's never going to be considered sleek but there's 15" and 13" versions as well

there is a 15 inch but I've not seen a 13 inch Dell brand gaming laptop.

I'm pretty sure that the OP is looking for something light and portable.

The G7 is good for gaming but that's not a use mentioned here.

Fair enough, I thought there was a 13" version sorry.

I'm a big fan of this laptop and thought it ticked the boxes. I also have a Samsung S6 Tablet with the keyboard case, ticks all the boxes for what's being looked for especially with Dex mode

Fair enough, I thought there was a 13" version sorry.

I'm a big fan of this laptop and thought it ticked the boxes. I also have a Samsung S6 Tablet with the keyboard case, ticks all the boxes for what's being looked for especially with Dex mode

The Android version of Excel is very light compared to the Windows version though isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The Android version of Excel is very light compared to the Windows version though isn’t it?

Yea.. Might as well suggest using Google sheets.

In laptop I would look for good non glossy screen(1080p not more), good keyboard, being lightweight/slim and good battery. Now these are conflicting areas as the light/slim means small battery and not good keyboard. Bigger screen will impact battery life and size/weight of the laptop.
    But then when WFH you can use external keyboard, external screen, you do not need to carry it a lot and have power source.
    I've been using T4xxS series for almost 10 years now as they were provided by work. I do like it and do like them although I would like them to be lighter but these days I would not buy one myself as you do pay extra for that logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

Thanks for the replies,

Saw the Huawei as a suggestion on another thread, kind of leaning away from away to be honest. I’m sure they’re great from what reklamos said but I’d rather one of the established brands, hopefully I’m proven wrong in the long term though. It looks like the support for the high ends is quite good too in terms of courier service.

Probably should’ve mentioned that I will likely hook it up to two monitors and use an external keyboard. I was thinking I’d be better getting a workstation instead but it kind of defeats the idea of potentially using it for college. A bad keyboard would be a major dealbreaker for that.

I think the consensus here and from what I’ve read on reddit is that the thinkpads are better built so probably leaning towards them, even with the higher price tag.

• Advertisement

I haven't spotted a huge difference but I tend to use BI tools rather than Excel for anything too big.

noa2020 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,

Saw the Huawei as a suggestion on another thread, kind of leaning away from away to be honest. I’m sure they’re great from what reklamos said but I’d rather one of the established brands, hopefully I’m proven wrong in the long term though. It looks like the support for the high ends is quite good too in terms of courier service.

Probably should’ve mentioned that I will likely hook it up to two monitors and use an external keyboard. I was thinking I’d be better getting a workstation instead but it kind of defeats the idea of potentially using it for college. A bad keyboard would be a major dealbreaker for that.

I think the consensus here and from what I’ve read on reddit is that the thinkpads are better built so probably leaning towards them, even with the higher price tag.

that's just silly.

they (Huawei) are an established brand... as said they make what is reviewed as one of the best laptops in the world.

they also make phones that compete with Apple and Samsung at the highest end.

that Magicbook 14 2020 version has universally positive reviews.

if you want to spend more money you can but that is just a waste.

you have to spend double that to get anything demonstrably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Complete waste of your own money. There's nothing a summer intern will be tasked with that won't work on office for Mac. If it really is essential that you have windows then they will work something out for you.

Apologies for not posting advice but the best value here is keeping your €1500 euro in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op, if you need a laptop for excel and PowerPoint a good quality laptop under €600 will be more than sufficient. A 13" screen maybe isn't very practical for those applications and many laptops with smaller screens don't have full number pads.

If you want to pay over €1000 for a more premium product, that's absolutely fine.

Just to say large businesses often pay what private users would consider over the odds for Dell laptops or Thinkpads even though they're ugly or overpriced.

there is a 15 inch but I've not seen a 13 inch Dell brand gaming laptop.

I'm pretty sure that the OP is looking for something light and portable.

The G7 is good for gaming but that's not a use mentioned here.

Alienware is basically a Dell and they do smaller sizes. But they are designed for gaming..

Alienware is basically a Dell and they do smaller sizes. But they are designed for gaming..

I did say Dell-brand....

but in any case, Alienware do not currently make anything smaller than 15 inch laptops

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/gaming/alienware-laptops?~ck=mn

antix80 wrote: »
    Just to say large businesses often pay what private users would consider over the odds for Dell laptops or Thinkpads even though they're ugly or overpriced.

Those companies have models from the cheapest to the dearest. They have cheap lines and they have premium top end laptops. Also their corporate models have enterprise features only useful for business and enterprise.

I did say Dell-brand....

but in any case, Alienware do not currently make anything smaller than 15 inch laptops

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/gaming/alienware-laptops?~ck=mn

You said you'd never seen one. I'm just saying they did do one.

There's also razor they make smaller gaming laptops..

There's also razor they make smaller gaming laptops..

who are a totally different company

and it's Razer

• Advertisement

who are a totally different company

and it's Razer

Still a small gaming laptop.

I know it's Razor that's why I said Razor?

Advertisement