Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps5 or Xbox or maybe stadia

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

"Stadia free" is here now so it is a much better value proposition. While I couldn't see how the Pro version would find a market, Free is very different.

Every Chrome browser, a chunk of phones, tablets smart TV's are essentially a free high powered PC. That is a massive potential install base.

Now the €4-500 for a console can go to games. For the majority of consumers who buy 1-2 games a year it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yep, that's what I find as well. The platform holders have to keep their store and authentication systems intact and therefore the amount of hoops and restrictions you have to jump through when using a console now is just a nightmare compared to PC.

As for PS have the best exclusives and not having to wait for games, the PC indie market is chock full of excellent indies that are exclusive to the platform or take an age to get to console.

If your a casual gamer who just wants to play games consoles are more straightforward, you don't have to worry about system requirements or changing settings. Theres nothing about basic console use that's a nightmare. The exclusives is an individual choice, for some people like me consoles like the PS4 and Switch have an advantage over pc because the games that they want to play are not on the PC. And yes it can also work the other way where a PC gamer might not care about a consoles exclusives, it's an individual choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I'm paying for access to games, the hardware matters zero.

Sony is the best at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

My thinking at the moment is PS5 this Christmas. The Xbox looks stronger in terms of specs but I read that they won't have a proper exclusive for 2 years so that xbox one owners won't feel burned. So then in maybe 2 or 3 years I can buy the new xbox and take advantage of game pass which should have a good offering at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Personally I want to get both.
    Pick the one you most like then after 2-3 years and after a lot of exclusives are on the other console go buy that should you choose.

While there's always going to be exclusives it's not like it was years ago. Think PS2/Xbox/GameCube. If you wanted to play GTA, Tekken, Dead or Alive, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy etc. You were forced to get the PlayStation. A lot of games are cross platform today.

I will say that VR may sway things in my opinion. With Half Life Alyx pushing AAA VR game development the PS5 surely will continue with it's VR. XBOX hasn't said a peep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

ZiabR wrote: »
    Not sure what owning previous consoles from a manufacturer has to do with nextgen? Are you letting pride get in the way slightly?

Means I've played The Last of Us, God of War, Uncharted, etc and look forward to any of their sequels. I'm assuming The Last of Us 2 will get a PS4 & PS5 release so I'd probably buy the PS5 for that alone. I'm only a casual gamer and have less and less time for it these days. I won't be changing to Xbox at this stage of the game. Interested to see what Nintendo do in the future as I have a child. The Switch is a bit expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Seems like Google and EA have done a deal to bring EA games to Stadia.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/28/21239809/google-stadia-pubg-launch-ea-games-fifa-star-wars-madden-nfl-release-date

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order coming in a few months, with Fifa and Madden by the end of the year.

The easy access to Fifa/Madden might appeal to a lot of more casual players who'd mostly just buy a console for those games, but I still wouldn't put a lot of faith into Stadia as a service.

I honestly don't see the appeal in Stadia.
    On paper you could say it allows people to play high end PC games but without having a powerful pc and straight through to your TV.

But remember 15 years ago when console ports wouldn't be as good as their pc counterparts?Then yeah sure. Something like Stadia would have been awesome then. Especially if you wanted to play a pc only game like I dunno, vampire bloodlines.

But today everything gets a console port and there's not that much of a different between pc and console.

I honestly don't see the appeal in Stadia.
    On paper you could say it allows people to play high end PC games but without having a powerful pc and straight through to your TV.

But remember 15 years ago when console ports wouldn't be as good as their pc counterparts?Then yeah sure. Something like Stadia would have been awesome then. Especially if you wanted to play a pc only game like I dunno, vampire bloodlines.

But today everything gets a console port and there's not that much of a different between pc and console.
    It really is hard to find a reason for it. Streaming from your consoles, yes. Or even a sub like xcloud to stream your collection from the cloud. But that's an additional service and not a PC/Console replacement.

It really is hard to find a reason for it. Streaming from your consoles, yes. Or even a sub like xcloud to stream your collection from the cloud. But that's an additional service and not a PC/Console replacement.

Yeah.
    Thing is even if it was a gamepass / Netflix for games that would be interesting. Pay X amount each month and play over 100 games.

You would think after making the console Google would be announcing some major game developed solely for it as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement