Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 haircuts

Options
  • 23-04-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

It's over a month since the barbers closed and I still see young lads rocking fly skin fades.

Where are they getting them done?

Are barbers doing house visits?

I'm genuinely curious. I know people can cut their own hair or get a family member to cut their hair if they have an electric shaver, but skin fades?

Maybe I'm reading into it too much and they have a family member who's a hairdresser.

I'm jealous. I usually get skin fades but I've had to make do, and will probably have a mullet by the time they're open again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

It's over a month since the barbers closed and I still see young lads rocking fly skin fades.

Where are they getting them done?

Are barbers doing house visits?

I'm genuinely curious. I know people can cut their own hair or get a family member to cut their hair if they have an electric shaver, but skin fades?

Maybe I'm reading into it too much and they have a family member who's a hairdresser.

I'm jealous. I usually get skin fades but I've had to make do, and will probably have a mullet by the time they're open again.

You're having a hard life. First a thread about women's jeans and now haircuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why didnt you ask them? thats what i would do. if i ever see someone with a cool jacket or jeans etc i will ask them where they got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Did my own, not sure about fades but you get loads of guards with standard clippers. I didn't have any and ordered online came within a week! Watched a few youtube videos and gave it a go, reckoned even if its bad nobody will really see or notice and a week it won't be as noticeable. Have to say pleasantly surprised at how easy and well it looked. I stayed away from scissors or any of that. Just 2 or 3 guards, high on the top and the shortest one on the bottom of back and sides

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why didnt you ask them? thats what i would do. if i ever see someone with a cool jacket or jeans etc i will ask them where they got them.

Said no man ever

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Wtf is a skin fade?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Wtf is a skin fade?

It’s like a skin flute but slightly different

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

It’s like a skin flute but slightly different

Yeah, I think you have to rub peroxide on yer fella, then when you're tired from running around you ask yer missus to shave yer head and body and the nicer you cry the better the haircut

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Obv they looked up a vid on youtube or a family member did and they had a go and it came out ok. You plan do your research its hair its not rocket science.

If you want to use a scissors and a comb do...or you play around with the taper lever

You CAN do this. You just have to open up to learning something you don't know.

GO for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just shaved it off, one all over. I'll worry about it when I see people again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just shaved it off, one all over. I'll worry about it when I see people again.

Wouldn't that make you super non furry?

I'm embracing the growth. I'd rather hang on to it, than shave it off, and be wanting for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Keep it simple. I didn't really need a hair cut when we went into lock down but I knew I had to go early doors to be able to maintain it. I went blade 6 all over because I knew the back and sides were not long enough to be cut by the 6. Then I topped the back and sides up weekly with a blade 5 and eventually progressed to blade 4 as I gained confidence.

I'll probably have to give the top a going over again this week or next, so it will be 6 again, with the back and sides being to short to be cut by the 6.

Trimming the very back and sides to square things off is another story. I'll just have to wait for a professional to get that done properly.

A 6 is decently long when its on the top as the hair grows upwards.

Don't be trying any fancy fades, that's where it all goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I did a #2 all over . I was a little embarrassed the first time I went out then I spotted nearly every other guy with hair had the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Wife did it.
    Not a bad job but it an anxious time in the chair TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Rocking a Pat Sharp at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Missus did mine. Turned out ok

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I bought a Remington QuickCut which are pretty good.

Paid £69 on Ebay last week which is extortionate given they usually go for €35 here in Argos but didn't have much choice as they are in high demand.

Lot of sellers making a mint on such products actually, given that Amazon quickly sold out of them and most other places that would usually sell them are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I gave my brother the snap on attachments that fit on his old wahl, I says be careful with those popping off you want the magnetic ones and he comes back with a #0 all over anyway. Total novice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've given Mrs. Beer her second trim since all this. She had gotten a really nice haircut just before salons closed.
    I took the view that if it grew out, I'd never have the skills to recreate it but if I just gave it regular, slight trims, I'd be able to keep the shape.
    Working so far.

She's done my hair for years. Rocking an odd coronavirus haircut, all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say barbers are shïtting it, that people will get the hang of it and keep doing their own after normality resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d say barbers are shïtting it, that people will get the hang of it and keep doing their own after normality resumes.

Cutting your own hair is like DIY home improvements. Lads think they’ve done a great job, when in reality they’ve made a complete fücking hames of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

TBH, it's just hair. If you look good with a good haircut, you'll look good with a bad one. I'm currently sporting the V, a throwback to my 13 year old days. It looks okay, the barbers tend to take too much off the top anyway and make the style too preen and proper which doesn't suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cutting your own hair is like DIY home improvements. Lads think they’ve done a great job, when in reality they’ve made a complete fücking hames of it.

For some maybe. Some though have a flair for it.

It's not like rewiring a gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I gave my brother the snap on attachments that fit on his old wahl, I says be careful with those popping off you want the magnetic ones and he comes back with a #0 all over anyway. Total novice

That was my fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

cj maxx wrote: »
    I did a #2 all over . I was a little embarrassed the first time I went out then I spotted nearly every other guy with hair had the same

Same, was going to go longer but then decided I might as well, it will grow and its a good excuse to try something different :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It's not like rewiring a gaff.

Which would be illegal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m about a week to ten days or so from wanting a cut. I think I’ll post a before and after pic, if everyone else does. Can be just from eyebrows up to maintain everyone’s anonymity :p we can give marks out of 10... :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

cj maxx wrote: »

Thats what i usually get at the barber, im guesisng its not that tricky? (famous last words :eek:). I dont know where to start with getting clippers etc, nay advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've pretty much always shaved my head, might grow it now for the craic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,029 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I've pretty much always shaved my head, might grow it now for the craic :)
    Your head is big enough already!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement