Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you reckon pubs/nightclubs will reopen?

Options
  • 22-04-2020 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

My arbitrary guess is March 2021.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

We'd be lucky if it's before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

My guess would be January 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

End of summer. It's too hard to know. If the general sentiment becomes let those who most vulnerable protect themselves, then it will be sooner than we think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

When ever the few survivors of the impending apocalypse decide they need to open one for nostalgic reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Nightclubs, maybe next year, pubs late Summer but things would want to go well for that, re treatment, rapid testing options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

My previous estimate of March 2021 was a bit silly now that I think about it. No way they'd reopen days from St Patricks Day. That'd be a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Young adults seem to be the safest from the virus.

Restrictions for them should be lifted ahead of everyone else.

If done that way, pubs/clubs for restricted ages could probably open well before the year's end.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Early July for pubs with reduced opening hours, nightclubs/late bars open in December

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

July I reckon. But with limited admittance, to ensure distancing, beer gardens . Card only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

ID checks for over 35's

• Advertisement

ID checks for over 35's

I'll be back to the days of the fake ID so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'll be back to the days of the fake ID so! :D

Yeah right. Like the 27 yos who make a point of proving to the bouncers they're over 18, like it was even in doubt it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Once the travel restrictions are eased your just going find people having bigger housepartys.
    I really miss going pub but everyone will get used to this as new normal.
    A lot cheaper and good houseparty just as good of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My guess will be too soon, but only time will tell. I'm actually pretty impressed with the overall effort Ireland is putting into this, so I can't see them relaxing the rules too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joeym82

If they're not open by the end of the summer I question how many will re-open at all. Government can't backstop them all forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

This is all starting to seem massively overblown.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

They're open already ad hoc style in Coolock, Darndale, Tallaght, Finglas West, Kilbarrack...

All round to Jayo's house, BOYB, Drugs supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

When they are told they can open

branie2 wrote: »

Thanks for that

branie2 wrote: »

You're no fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What a headfck that'll be - having to convince the bouncer you're underage.

Ah, I think attempting to put a date on it is impossible. You'd like to think, best case scenario, that it could possibly be August - September. But, honestly, I think that's optimistic. If they are open before the end of year they'll be doing well.

Arghus wrote: »
    What a headfck that'll be - having to convince the bouncer you're underage.

Ah, I think attempting to put a date on it is impossible. You'd like to think, best case scenario, that it could possibly be August - September. But, honestly, I think that's optimistic. If they are open before the end of year they'll be doing well.
    Sweden ain't doing to bad at all and they did nothing really.

Italy seem to call every death a Corona death for awhile and got this huge number breaking news every day for weeks.

If you were fired out through the window in a car crash it was Corona fault.

Our HSE is woeful so we took a nuclear option.

Open everything with restrictions I say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Pubs as we knew them are basically gone. Those that do reopen will be more like the wine bars Michael McDowell tried to introduce a few years ago.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Young adults seem to be the safest from the virus.

Restrictions for them should be lifted ahead of everyone else.

If done that way, pubs/clubs for restricted ages could probably open well before the year's end.

yes, but some not so great news on that front

seven-fold increase in strokes due to CV19 in younger people

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/494140-doctors-warn-coronavirus-causing-sudden-strokes-in-younger-patients

touts wrote: »
    Pubs as we knew them are basically gone. Those that do reopen will be more like the wine bars Michael McDowell tried to introduce a few years ago.

they were actually a good idea but the LVA cnuts shut it down with their lobbying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm guessing they will have a staggered opening.
    Anytime of the year is guaranteed to have people cramming into the pub, so they will avoid it when there is also holidays.
    Summer, and the off chance of a week of hot weather - nope.
    October during flu season - nope
    November and the run up to Christmas...... Nope.

I think a good idea would be to allow pubs open to locals only (random ID checks maybe to double check). With maybe also time restrictions for the amount of time allowed to stay there on one visit to see how it goes..
    More rural locations could maybe be a little more relaxed. More populated areas (e.g. Dublin City) could divide up the pubs by area.
    Allow x amount of people in per square meter.
    Tourists/visitors may get some sort of tourist/visitor card so as to not stifle things entirely.

It will have to be a staggered opening no matter what, but how they decide to do it will be another thing. There is no way that there is going to a day that says "Pubs are open".... There would be mayhem.

Queues into the place would also not be allowed. So maybe prebooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

FFVII wrote: »
    Sweden ain't doing to bad at all and they did nothing really.

Italy seem to call every death a Corona death for awhile and got this huge number breaking news every day for weeks.

If you were fired out through the window in a car crash it was Corona fault.

Our HSE is woeful so we took a nuclear option.

Open everything with restrictions I say

Sweden has nearly 2000 deaths. At least. That's probably only a percentage of their actual death toll.

There's been a lot of talk about how things have been done in Sweden, but if you read or listen to reports from people in the country it's clear, that while the mandatory lock-down hasn't happened, people are still limiting their movements, loads of people are working from home etc, etc. Life isn't just carrying on 100% as normal. Lots of Swedes live on their own and don't have busy crowded pubs as the cornerstone of social life. What works for Sweden, may not work for us.

Our health system isn't top of the class, everyone knows this. It wouldn't take much for it to be overwhelmed. And that would have knock on effects. Many people who are ill and require treatment, irrespective of Covid, wouldn't get it because the resources would be stretched so thin. That's loads more unnecessary death, suffering and misery. It wouldn't be good.

That remark about every death in Italy being recorded as a Corona death isn't true and is pretty stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

10:30am

This thread is pretty depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This thread is pretty depressing.
    They may relax the laws for public drinking.. small groups... :pac::D

(maybe) a little.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement