Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

• 17-03-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭

Will the pubs be closed for? Currently 2 weeks but likely to increase IMO. Think somewhere between 4-6 weeks myself....

How long will Pubs be asked to close? 1314 votes

2 weeks (current ask)
    63% 838 votes
    3 weeks
    0% 7 votes
    4 weeks
    0% 5 votes
    5 weeks
    1% 18 votes
    6 weeks
    0% 4 votes
    2-3 months
    5% 70 votes
    3-6 months
    9% 122 votes
    6+ months
    9% 126 votes
    Will open again within 2 weeks
    9% 124 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Mid April. But they will certainly try to be back on the most holiest of weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The end of the month, as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Mid to late summer I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Whenever they do reopen I wouldn’t fancy some of the first few pints of Guinness that have been sitting in the pipes.🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

SwissToni wrote: »
    Whenever they do reopen I wouldn’t fancy some of the first few pints of Guinness that have been sitting in the pipes.🀢

You will need the stockpiles of toilet paper then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

I'd say 3-4 months. Not great, but containment is one of the best ways to combat the spread of this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

as soon as we lift the isolation policy is this virus not going to explode again one way or another?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

End of summer sounds most likely. Many won't reopen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

SwissToni wrote: »
    Whenever they do reopen I wouldn’t fancy some of the first few pints of Guinness that have been sitting in the pipes.🤢

Fine art in drawing out that mucky sputter. It’ll be like slurpin’ down a load of gick

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And a lot of people won't have the money to go drinking either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Where's the option for already open? I know of at least one pub in my area that's having a lock in today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Where's the option for already open? I know of at least one pub in my area that's having a lock in today.

I knew that would happen, I was hoping I’d hear of one !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Why?

This isn't the Walking Dead here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Because the question was how long pubs would be asked to close!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why?

Because the majority of pubs cant survive without income for that long and will go out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why?

Many rural pubs were doing badly even before all this happened, once a place closes for a long period of time it's very hard for them to get going again.

Depending on how bad this gets over the next few weeks we could be looking at a few months before things start to get back to normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Should be reported for endangering public health

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Why?

Many were hanging on by a thread as it was. This will have pushed them over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The pubs/schools etc will not reopen until such time as there is either herd immunity or a vaccine. To open before then will have made the closure pointless and just put us back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Scotty # wrote: »
    Many were hanging on by a thread as it was. This will have pushed them over the edge.

Yeah rural pubs maybe, the rest will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is possibly the least important aspect to covid 19. Sure there's livelihoods to consider but in the national scheme of things pubs are trivial and they won't be reopened to save jobs.

Probably late summer and maybe not for more than a couple of months if it behaves like seasonal flu as social interaction will need to be reduced again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

I'm chef working in a bar and have been laid off

How long do people think the bar/restaurant closure will last?
    I'm optimistic they will be open on or before the 29th of March

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully not too long, but as long as necessary.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No one knows. Its speculation to talk about anything past April. No one could tell you with any certainty.

If you want me to speculate (and its exactly that), I would say its at least a month and likely 2 months. (warning: speculation!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I'm chef working in a bar and have been laid off

How long do people think the bar/restaurant closure will last?
    I'm optimistic they will be open on or before the 29th of March

Could you restaurant no do take out or deliveries observing social distancing of course.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I do think there's something to this take-away idea. I know Taza (in Artane) are doing that for example. You could team up with Deliveroo or Uber Eats, etc if you don't have your own service yet.
    If there's online only payments then that helps further - you pay in advance, driver rings the doorbell when the food's there and you collect it from where he leaves it. No interactions required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Unfortunately it will probably go on a lot longer than after the 29th of March.

By the 29th, we will only be seeing new cases, we will only be past one incubation period for example, if someone got the virus yesterday or before that..

Leo said in his statement last night this could easily go on until summer months

Sorry to hear about your job BTW.

If it's any help, in the meantime supermarkets are hiring as they're so busy, all my local tescos and lidl.

Amazon is hiring work from home reps €12 pH.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

How long do people think the bar/restaurant closure will last? I'm optimistic they will be open on or before the 29th of March

I feel bad for all that have been laid off.

Schools most likely won't be back until September. Crèches hair salons & pubs most likely will be shut until the end of April at the earliest. This could turn out to be end of May or into June.

China have had a two m shutdown and are only getting to grips with the virus now. I think all countries can expect at least a two month shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Spain state of alarm has been extended to April 12. Theirs was also supposed to be 29 March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

mariaalice wrote: »
    Could you restaurant no do take out or deliveries observing social distancing of course.

The bar I work in is in a tiny rural village that relies on tourists so deliveries won't work for us

Advertisement