Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Irish houses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

A new build at 300k might seem much more expensive on the face of it, but you'd likely get a mortgage handy enough, first time buyer grant, it'd need no renovating, and likely be much closer to your job, saving you on transport costs etc over time.

First times buyers grant disappeared years ago. The young lady in last night's programme said she could only get mortgage approval for €120,000 so a €300,000 new built for her would be out of the question. This one on daft looks like a great buy, it's much newer and more modern though I'm not familiar with the area. https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-38-hyde-road-prospect/1528943

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Steer55 wrote: »
    First times buyers grant disappeared years ago. The young lady in last night's programme said she could only get mortgage approval for €120,000 so a €300,000 new built for her would be out of the question. This one on daft looks like a great buy, it's much newer and more modern though I'm not familiar with the area. https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-38-hyde-road-prospect/1528943

Has it bulletproof windows?

Is it that bad :eek:

Steer55 wrote: »
    First times buyers grant disappeared years ago.

According to revenue, the Help to Buy scheme is open til end of December 2021.
    The young lady in last night's programme said she could only get mortgage approval for €120,000 so a €300,000 new built for her would be out of the question. This one on daft looks like a great buy, it's much newer and more modern though I'm not familiar with the area. https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-38-hyde-road-prospect/1528943

Not familiar with the area myself, but a quick mooch on Google Maps shows me this is fairly close by so can't imagine anyone with a budget exceeding the cost of the house buying there, unless they were from the area and knew it, and it's inhabitants, well.

There's also THIS HOUSE on the same street, at 20k at auction (albeit, looks fire damaged).

These are ones I seen online that I think look suitable to the girl on the show:

Tiernahille, Ballingarry, Co. Limerick, V94 H32Y

€50k - 4 Bed, 2 bath, has all you need to get a mortgage on it (kitchen, bathroom). Comes with a fair bit of clutter ("outbuildings" my hole) but nothing a few slaps of a sledgehammer and a couple of skips wouldn't soon sort out. Has houses either side, so not completely isolated.

It's auction, so the price could go mental of course, but assuming it's had for €60k or less, that leaves €60k to put into renovating, which would travel a fair bit as the house seems generally okay (although they avoid the ceilings in every picture, so I presume damage to the roof, causing dampness).

Rathmoy, Borrisoleigh, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, E41 F7Y7

€55k, 6 Bed, 4 Bath. Again, auction, so price could be misleading, but a big house, with 3 acres. Messy in the photos, but looks like there's no structural issues, with the exception perhaps of one of the rooms that looks particularly damp around one of the windows/radiator in the last couple of pics.

As above, it's rural and isolated, but yet still has neighbouring houses so you're not alone if you need help or assistance or such.

Ballyrichard, Mullinahone, Co. Tipperary

€40k, 3 Bed, 1 Bath. Not auction so likely to be a more realistic price. Would leave her €80k to renovate and extend if she wanted. Also comes on a long narrow .75 acres of land that has a road on both sides, so if you wanted, you could cut it in two and sell the bottom half as a separate site to recoup some money if you wished.

It's up as detached, but it looks semi-d to me, which again, means you're not out on your own, but considering you've a reasonable site, you still get a decent bit of privacy. Although it's only about 25 minutes to the M8, it's nearly 90 mins from limerick city, and yer one never said exactly where she worked so could be too far away.

I think many of the houses up for auction have title issues so you prob be taken on alot of hassle trying to sort them afterwards as well as increased legal expenses.

• Advertisement

Just in relation to the Hyde park property posted above, i posted a nearby location that was in bits.. maybe it's not.

This is mad!

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6502585,-8.6298752,3a,90y,168.89h,83.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5JLqW7T3dz7bGk6gzEDMOg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Take one step forward and google goes from 2009 to 2014...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭macscoob

All the houses shown on the shows are still up for sale....reality of renovating must of kicked in

macscoob wrote: »
    All the houses shown on the shows are still up for sale....reality of renovating must of kicked in

I think a lot of people dream about this, but don't take the effort involved into consideration. These are only worth doing if you can at least DIY a large portion of the work.

Handing it over to a contractor and you may aswell just buy a new build in Dublin. It's the saving you could make from getting stuck in yourself that makes them appealing (to me, anyway). I'd enjoy getting stuck in and doing what I could. The two people on the show so far don't quite give off that vibe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It says at the end that it was filmed in February and March, so I assume the pandemic will have gotten in the way of anyone buying anything.

I'd imagine putting social distancing measures in place on a TV show like this would be fairly easy (there's only a handful of people involved from what I can see - usually the two hosts, two guests and there seems to be a cameraman sitting in the back seat of each car, so about 6 people needed to pull the show together out and about?).

So I'd imagine it'd be easy enough to keep filming on that basis, anyway.

EDIT: Just realised I completely mis-read your post, Posy! :o

I'd imagine if a serious offer was made on any of the properties they'd be at least marked sale agreed on the property sites?

• Advertisement

Episode 3 Aftershow video:

This week's episode didn't really do a whole lot to encourage people to 'live the dream' I wouldn't say. All relatively expensive houses, considering what they were. The Mayo one (2 storey with 3/4 acre of land) was the best of the bunch in my opinion, by far. Unfortunately, according to the description in the 'aftershow' video, it has been taken off daft. So presumably someone made an offer on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bogfairy

Show has potential but is drab enough in all fairness. Its like daft.ie live, although you get to see a little bit more of some of those properties.

Whilst I appreciate what engineers do, and a good one is worth their weight in gold, they are not trained the same way as architects. Some of his 'design' advice can be extremely mundane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The thatched house might have a higher insurance cost also mortgage?

saabsaab wrote: »
    The thatched house might have a higher insurance cost also mortgage?

The thatch will definitely have to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Bogfairy wrote: »
    Whilst I appreciate what engineers do, and a good one is worth their weight in gold, they are not trained the same way as architects. Some of his 'design' advice can be extremely mundane.

He either glossed over, or the producers omitted the reality of renovating an old house on a bog. Sewage? Broadband? Rewiring?

It's a complete minefield to say the very least, and recommending to a young couple on the pretense of being 'cheap', is bordering on morally wrong IMO. It would cost another 200k to bring it to modern living standards, and then some.

It's a disservice to the house too I think, a very wealthy buyer and visionary architect is what the house deserves.

Episode 4 Aftershow:

Not sure why I'm still watching this to be honest. It's completely wandered away from being anything about Cheap Irish Houses. You can get a house in Drogheda for under 200k, able to be lived in and less than an hour from Dublin.

Now, I live in Drogheda area so it's easy for me to pick this area as an example, but if I can buy a 2 bed, 1 bath, with a big garden, loads of space to extend, Less than 10 minute walk from a hospital, a shop, a town centre, has it's own driveway, is ready to move into, etc. with an asking price of €160k, then I don't see how the houses on the show are a good example of "the secret side of the Irish property market" at all. :(

The €40k house looked appealing and looked like a couple of weeks of DIY would do it a lot of good, and remain in the 'cheap and cheerful' category.

In the description of the Youtube Videos, she usually posts the links to the houses on Daft/MyHome, but this time around she reckons they've all been sold or taken off the sites. Which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. I reckon a follow-up show in a year or two would show that none of these houses had been bought by the people in the show. This show makes it look like it's genuinely a pipe dream to get into a 'cheap' Irish Houses. There are some nice little gems out there, but when the asking price is over €100k and still needs an almost entire refurbishment, it doesn't qualify as 'cheap' in my opinion. Only cheap compared to certain Dublin houses. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

NIMAN wrote: »
    Does Ireland need its own version of 'Home Under The Hammer'?

I used to watch that every chance I got, gave a good indication of what could be done with some properties and for what sort of money.

I love HUTH - but am always amazed at what developers can achieve on their budget. What can be done for £20K Sterling would cost €45k and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I think a lot of people dream about this, but don't take the effort involved into consideration. These are only worth doing if you can at least DIY a large portion of the work.

Been there, done that. A deal of work, but if you can spread over several years, entirely doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

angeleyes wrote: »
    I love HUTH - but am always amazed at what developers can achieve on their budget. What can be done for £20K Sterling would cost €45k and more.

Some of them must be telling porky pies so they don't look like they lost money on TV.

So Mike, you replaced all the windows, put in a new kitchen and bathroom, put on a new roof and plasterd painted and put in new flooring in every room. Oh and you had to put in a new boiler and rewire. Did you manager to stick to you budget of 8,000 pounds?

Yeah just a little over came in at 8,500 but happy enough.....

No way they all do that for that money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

angeleyes wrote: »

Yeah, Rewire the house, put in a new kitchen, change an upstairs bedroom to a smaller bedroom and a bathroom, replaster and decorate the entire house, all new second fix woodwork for under 20K

and my favourite, the end of line kitchen for under 1k :rolleyes:

A follow up would be nice but the likelihood of the people buying the ones they looked at is small I think.

If the series was recorded over a much longer period and we got to see a whole process it would be more interesting, but would probably be very complicated and expensive to produce if you had to follow people viewing 10/20 properties to be sure you recorded the viewing they go on to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Last nights has to have been the worst yet. Did the host even realise the couple had a child? The place with no toilet or shower? Grim as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tonight was interesting. House without foundation and the rampant mold would be a lot of work others might have been more practical for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I've given it a go as the concept is very good. But the execution is terrible. Presenters are terrible - maybe they should have had a professional presenter along with the girl?
    Like tonight's couple wanted space for chickens and alpacas so why look at ones that are too small? Too many cliches.

It's really poorly produced

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I've given it a go as the concept is very good. But the execution is terrible. Presenters are terrible - maybe they should have had a professional presenter along with the girl?
    Like tonight's couple wanted space for chickens and alpacas so why look at ones that are too small? Too many cliches.

It's really poorly produced

It’s like they don’t even listen to the briefing of what the couple want. It was the same last week when the couple literally had a child hanging off them in a sling and I don’t think the host even acknowledged it let alone find them a house suitable for a baby. I think the houses are picked in advance and the couple are chosen secondary to that.

I don’t know where they pulled the presenter out of she is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The Engineer gets on my nerves more and more each night.
    Some of these properties are clearly sold as sites yet he is there giving people false impression of what is achieveable.
    Its ok to say that oncw you have walls you can refurbish. It does not however follow that it would be cost effective to refurbish versus demolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Like some of the houses featured this show has potential.

It's a good effort so far but could be improved.

It's the first Irish produced non studio show filmed according to C19 guidelines that I've seen. Fair play to them for giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I like it, but then I'm really interested in old houses too and this is what I want in a few years-to move to an old house in the country with an acre of land. I follow Maggie on Instagram and she's an artist by trade. I think that's where she's coming from, she sees the beauty and potential in old cottages and farmhouses. Same reason I love my own one.
    She pays €280 a month mortgage for her own home which is amazing for the size of the farmhouse she has. Paying that little every month gives you financial freedom. She renovates and upgrades as money comes in which how I've done it with my cottage. If you're prepared to get stuck in and do a lot of the work yourself it shows what's possible.

Obviously it's not for you if you want a new 3 bed semi-d house on an estate ready to move into, or if you're intent on staying in Dublin, Cork city or other areas where housing is very expensive, or you don't want to live in rural Ireland. But it would to many who have a limited income, or you're single and trying to own your own home and can either work from home or close to your job and want to live in the country with an acre of land to have the hens and poly tunnel and don't want to be shackled with a huge mortgage like the couple on the last episode.

I liked the one in Cork with the artist couple and baby, thought the shop in Skibbereen for I think it was €130k would have been perfect if it had a bigger living area and actually had a bathroom. :pac:

The other presenter engineer Kevin has given a few good tips but he's obsessed with dry lining them all when most old properties should not have that done as it doesn't allow old stone walls to breathe. Drives me mad when I hear builders doing that to old properties. The reason so many are damp is because we put cement render over the original lime finishes trapping cold air and moisture.

Of course these houses are all "cheap" by crazy Irish housing market standards. I've seen big villas in rural parts of former East Germany that no-one wants to live in any more and you'll find €1 houses for sale (literally costing €1) in better condition than many of these. Same in Spain and Sicily. Only problem is they come with stringent planning conditions attached and are listed buildings and so cost a fortune to renovate. Or at least the ones I've seen in Germany are.

I think it's a shame more people here don't appreciate old houses. Probably to do with our history of them being associated with poverty. In the UK it's the exact opposite. People will pay a premium for an old listed barn to turn into a home and older houses are the desirable properties certainly for the comfortable middle classes. The older the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think it’s particularly attractive to people who have a graw for old houses.

If your looking for the mod cons then this sort of show isn’t for you.

It has great potential. Small things irk me about it but my oh and daughter watch it and I’ve found myself looking in more.

The engineer suggests some real silly ideas, he keeps suggesting taking out jedroom windows and putting in French doors In bedrooms. Really, who would actually use them ?? This is ireland not the south of France.

The couple renting the tatch cottage annoyed me, they couldn’t seem to see past a house being dusty, why then were they on a show aimed at reviving derelict houses. It seemed a wasted show to have them on.

Advertisement