Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest towns/villages in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Another contender is Hyde Road in Limerick city. Some nice area's around there

Hyde Road would make some of the slums in The Wire seem palatial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Cong
    Roundstone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

My town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Castleconnell in Co.Limerick is quite nice. Lovely walks along the River Shannon there.

Malahide, Dalkey and Howth are beautiful too, if only I won the Euromillions I'd buy property in all 3 of those villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Ballycotton is always a favourite of mine. Locally Malahide is a lovely town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Adare on many peoples list of nicest towns
    Rathkeale top of many peoples worst towns

Yet only 12km apart
    Never been to either, what makes the difference?

One has an abundance of culture.
    The other has an abundance of "culture".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Adare on many peoples list of nicest towns

Is Adare not always choked with traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, is a great spot. Good for outdoor activities, shops and reasonable employment opportunities and close to Cork/Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Are middle class and working class allowed in Dalkey?

Yes, although prob not as prevalent as they once where. I spent a lot of time there as a kid as had aunt uncle and cousins there. My uncle grew up there at a time when there were working class people there, and bought a fixer upper on Coliemore Rd., he is a painter decorator. Sold it during the boom and bought a smaller place nearby but made a fortune. They all have stronger Dublin accents than I do too.
    It really is a beautiful place, I doubt there's any area in Ireland as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Yes, although prob not as prevalent as they once where. I spent a lot of time there as a kid as had aunt uncle and cousins there. My uncle grew up there at a time when there were working class people there, and bought a fixer upper on Coliemore Rd., he is a painter decorator. Sold it during the boom and bought a smaller place nearby but made a fortune.
    It really is a beautiful place, I doubt there's any area in Ireland as nice.

All the coastal villages in Dublin are nice tbh. Even Ringsend has its charms.

• Advertisement

Castleconnell in Co.Limerick is quite nice. Lovely walks along the River Shannon there.

Malahide, Dalkey and Howth are beautiful too, if only I won the Euromillions I'd buy property in all 3 of those villages.

I think Howth is just absolutely ruined by the amount of cars that are rammed in there, it's like a giant car park nowadays. I don't really know what the solution is but I would never dream of driving to Howth on a nice day, bicycle or Dart is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Is Adare not always choked with traffic?

It sure is, although like everywhere else it's probably very quite lately.

To be fair it is a beautiful town that just badly needs a bypass, it has two golf courses, one the best hotels in the world and another hotel, lots of heritage and a river runs through it that not only gets a run of salmon but is one of the best brown trout rivers in Ireland.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Dunmore East is very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Rathmullan
    Portsalon
    Killough
    Portstewart
    Carlingford
    Schull
    Dingle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

All the coastal villages in Dublin are nice tbh. Even Ringsend has its charms.

Balbriggan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Balbriggan?

I meant within the city. Dalkey, Monsktown, Sandymount, Raheny, Sutton etc.

I have a friend that lives in Balbriggan and go there sometimes. The centre isn't that bad, it really has potential. With the amount of new developments out there I think it might turn out half decent sooner or later, parts of the old centre are quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Blackrock and Dun Laoighre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Dunlewey County Donegal

I think Howth is just absolutely ruined by the amount of cars that are rammed in there, it's like a giant car park nowadays. I don't really know what the solution is but I would never dream of driving to Howth on a nice day, bicycle or Dart is your only man.

A cycle to Howth via Clontarf is really nice. You're right about the cars though, the main road is a hazard to cross at the best of times. It's jammed full of people on sunny days also. On the good side though there are some nice shops and a great butcher there. The walking trails are amazing also and The Bloody Stream do a lovely seafood pie and pint of Guinness.

• Advertisement

I have a friend that lives in Balbriggan and go there sometimes. The centre isn't that bad, it really has potential. With the amount of new developments out there I think it might turn out half decent sooner or later, parts of the old centre are quite nice.

The centre does have some good things going for it. I love Molly's Coffee shop, I'm really missing it at the moment with the lockdown. Libero's, Deli Burger, Moti Mahal, The Bracken Court and The Harvest are really good food spots also. Papagellino's Ice cream parlour is a good spot. The walk from Balbriggan beach to Gormanstown via the Martello tower and the Bremore passage tombs is a huge favourite of mine.
    On the bad side though you have De Brún's, The White Hart and the old Tesco boarded up and rotting away at the moment. With some investment and development those areas have a lot of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Surprised it hasn't been already listed but Kinvara in County Galway is a serious contender (one of the most photographed villages in the country for sure) not including Dunguire Castle at the entrance to the town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Thomastown Co Kilkenny is a picturesque little place

Inistioge is also very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Igotadose wrote: »
    Dingle tries to have some damn festival every weekend year round, certainly no less than monthly even in Winter. It's fairly run down and lots of wandering dogs so you need to step lively most of the time. It fails to make the tidy towns list pretty regularly. Just too much tourist traffic to keep it clean. The restaurants pre-Lockdown were nondescript at best, usual boring tourist restaurant food. One outlier was Idas, but it's closed. And the restaurant prices are crazy.

There's also very little to do in town - take a boat to see the local tame dolphin? It's not pretty like Adare with well kept historical 'stuff.' It's an old fishing town where they've put lipstick on the pig and opened up lots of tourist stuff. You can take a bus tour around Slea Head, which is pretty, and maybe to Gallarus Oratory, is about it.

Yeah Dingle can be choked with traffic, I was there around this time last year and even in April we faced a couple of traffic jams, Id fear what July would be like with campervans all over the place. The drive out to Slea Head is nice though but its pretty short and easily done in a couple of hours.

Agree with the restaurants in Dingle too, value for money is completely out the window there. We had a good walk around scouting of menus and you'd only find one starter on them under ten euro (inevitably soup for 8 or 9 euro that you dont want in summer anyway) and all the mains were 20 euro and upwards. Irish stew for 22 euro was a like some kind of sick joke, they've somehow made peasant food cost an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Straffan is a lovely village, close enough to Dublin, but rural. Very friendly folk there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Dingle can be choked with traffic, I was there around this time last year and even in April we faced a couple of traffic jams, Id fear what July would be like with campervans all over the place. The drive out to Slea Head is nice though but its pretty short and easily done in a couple of hours.

Agree with the restaurants in Dingle too, value for money is completely out the window there. We had a good walk around scouting of menus and you'd only find one starter on them under ten euro (inevitably soup for 8 or 9 euro that you dont want in summer anyway) and all the mains were 20 euro and upwards. Irish stew for 22 euro was a like some kind of sick joke, they've somehow made peasant food cost an arm and a leg.

There's a place in Kenmare that was charging 24 euro for beef and Guinness stew, places like that will have a handy landing coming to them when things open up again.

In fairness to Kenmare there are places near to that particular establishment that were doing a choice of 7 or 8 main courses for half that price, these are the places that have a good chance of surviving the impending doom and deserve to be supported.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

wildwillow wrote: »
    Straffan is a lovely village, close enough to Dublin, but rural. Very friendly folk there.

You need the big wallet to be let inside the 50 limit signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Westport was pretty nice.

Newry had a lot of thicc girls.

I'm trying to think of nice towns and I'm coming up pretty empty.

Bray was alright as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Technically neither a town or a village, Gweedore

Advertisement