Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Irish delivery take so long?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Amazon shipped a package Tuesday evening and An post delivered it today. (I'm prime customer).

Another Irish company shipped something via DPD 2 weeks ago and still no sign of it. This Irish company is based in Dublin.

I'm also in Dublin and would take less than 5 minutes to walk to where my package "currently is".

I also ordered something else from the UK on Tuesday via Hermes and then to Parcel Motel. Will be interesting to see how long it takes.

Also, something I ordered in January, that was shipped the start of March from China, arrived yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

antodeco wrote: »
    Amazon shipped a package Tuesday evening and An post delivered it today. (I'm prime customer).

Another Irish company shipped something via DPD 2 weeks ago and still no sign of it. This Irish company is based in Dublin.

I'm also in Dublin and would take less than 5 minutes to walk to where my package "currently is".

I also ordered something else from the UK on Tuesday via Hermes and then to Parcel Motel. Will be interesting to see how long it takes.

Also, something I ordered in January, that was shipped the start of March from China, arrived yesterday!

Yes I find An Post tend to be ok. Our local driver is a bit snarly these days, but I don't really mind as he still delivers the stuff! DPD are an absolute abomination. Every so often someone will reply to a comment on FB saying "oh please message us your tracking number and we will sort it for you" but that's just f*cking optics for the social media - I have sent them countless messages already and none have had a response.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

antodeco wrote: »
    DPD have out some of my packages "out for delivery" and then nothing. I ring up a few days later and they tell me they sent it back to sender because they didn't get a chance to deliver it. Very weird logic and they've been happy to charge me each time.

Also, I emailed them about a query. The replied back saying they can't find it on their system. I had to explain to them that they took 14 months (yes 14 MONTHS) to reply to this email and the package had long been delivered

Have a machinery part coming in from England with DPD. Picked up yesterday, they told the sender it'll be with me in 2 days, after reading this thread I'm thinking.....fcuk this will be interesting.

Still waiting on something from USPS, 10 weeks, posted at the end of March. I'm going to claim off the insurance if it's not here by Friday.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ordered some bits from a company which I thought was American but is actually in fact Chinese and it took only 2 weeks to arrive :) From reading the horror stories here I was hoping they won’t use Dpd and no they used DHL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

blue5000 wrote: »
    Have a machinery part coming in from England with DPD. Picked up yesterday, they told the sender it'll be with me in 2 days, after reading this thread I'm thinking.....fcuk this will be interesting.

Still waiting on something from USPS, 10 weeks, posted at the end of March. I'm going to claim off the insurance if it's not here by Friday.

No complaints about DPD here anyway, Monday's pickup in UK arrived on Thursday.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I ordered some cigars from Switzerland 2 weeks ago. Sent via Swisspost. They arrived in Dublin 3 days after I ordered them, haven't received them yet!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RandRuns wrote: »
    I ordered some cigars from Switzerland 2 weeks ago. Sent via Swisspost. They arrived in Dublin 3 days after I ordered them, haven't received them yet!

They have likely been seized by customs; as you cannot personally import tobacco (or alcohol/medicines, even OTC ones) by post. You'll get a letter from Revenue (eventually) if this is the case.

L1011 wrote: »
    They have likely been seized by customs; as you cannot personally import tobacco (or alcohol/medicines, even OTC ones) by post. You'll get a letter from Revenue (eventually) if this is the case.

Feck, I hope not - didn't realise that. Never had a problem with it before, but maybe I was just lucky. That's a big kick up the arse if it's the case.

L1011 wrote: »
    RandRuns wrote: »
    Feck, I hope not - didn't realise that. Never had a problem with it before, but maybe I was just lucky. That's a big kick up the arse if it's the case.

Arrived safe & sound today!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hhmmm?

China to Ireland in eight days.

Been sitting on a shelf somewhere here for 2 and a half weeks by the looks of it.

We're a joke.

GpCth0L

https://ibb.co/GpCth0L

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

China post not paying for their costs to the rest of the world is the joke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

hhmmm? wrote: »

Been sitting on a shelf somewhere here for 2 and a half weeks by the looks of it.

We're a joke.

GpCth0L

They may hold on to it till January 2021 so they can charge you VAT.

Another month, another post. Ordered 4x phone covers end of August from AliExpress. Arrived in Ireland in September. It's November now and still waiting on delivery. It's become a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Another month, another post. Ordered 4x phone covers end of August from AliExpress. Arrived in Ireland in September. It's November now and still waiting on delivery. It's become a joke at this stage.

Probably paid little or no postage for delivery from China. When ChinaPost start paying their dues to worldwide delivery services there may be an improvement in delivery times. Plus, in the past I found the likes of Aliexpress showed tracking of parcels as arriving in a country once they had left China.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭PreCocious

We're a joke.

GpCth0L

I've seen a few of these tracking statuses and a lot of the time the "last mile carrier" reference means that it has arrived in Netherlands Post or Belgian Post (or some other European carrier) for onward distribution.

Arrived yesterday.

Advertisement