Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attracting birds to back garden

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I can’t remember exactly all the species we planted but it included some berry rich varieties. Hawthorn, spindle, buckthorn, wild rose, hazel, beech, holly, cottoneaster. Some of these are native, some not, some have berries some not but all play a role. My advice would be as great as the wild rose is, birds absolutely love the hips, go easy on it, I read somewhere only 10% should be wild rose and I disregarded this and wanted to make it the ‘feature’ plant. I live to regret it! It takes over and smothers the rest and is very unruly. But I definitely wouldn’t leave it out. We planted about half an acre of hedging. If you can get your hands on it for free that’s brilliant! Otherwise it can be very expensive. The best time of year to do it is bare root season, which is far cheaper but you might have missed the boat this year. Spend the time planning what you want now so you can be ready to go come winter/spring.

Brilliant, thats great advice. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Hi, i have about a third of an acre that im trying to turn into a bird (sanctuary)? to try and attract birds and other creatures, what native hedges have you planted, ive planted a mix of any type of hedges and bushes i come across in my line of work that i get free to take away but im just getting started really and id like to plant something that birds will really take to

Definitely blackthorn/ hawthorn. We have these at back of our garden + all birds adore flying in + out of them all time of the year. We also then have the bird feeder nearby.

appledrop wrote: »
    Definitely blackthorn/ hawthorn. We have these at back of our garden + all birds adore flying in + out of them all time of the year. We also then have the bird feeder nearby.

Great, and when is the best time to plant them? im planting red currant plants at the weekend but would need to find some blackthorn

Great, and when is the best time to plant them? im planting red currant plants at the weekend but would need to find some blackthorn

I cant help you with that one I'm afraid as planted when we got here!

I tell you through all the small birds adore blackthorn to perche in even in winter when no leaves. We have goldfinches, greenfinches, wren, Robin, blackbirds, sparrows blue tit, great toy, coal tit, dunnocks just to name a few!

The number one seed I'd recommend for attracting birds is sunflower seeds(hearts) with no shell.

All birds I mentioned in previous post all flock to our garden for these.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    The number one seed I'd recommend for attracting birds is sunflower seeds(hearts) with no shell.

All birds I mentioned in previous post all flock to our garden for these.

Actually, i just googled it now and it says between November and March, ill be busy at the start of November with all the hedging ill have to plant

Actually, i just googled it now and it says between November and March, ill be busy at the start of November

That probably makes sense as at the moment the blackthorn/ hawthorn are coming back to life after the winter so maybe youd damage them by moving them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

Try to entice them with their common food sources such as suet, seeds, and peanuts. You can also catch their attention with the use of small fruits such as cherries or berries on a platform or tray feeder. But no matter what your feeder is, make sure the food is accessible and installed in a spot where they can comfortably eat and perch on.

Advertisement