Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Force - Netflix -(**Spoilers**)

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We watched all episodes last week but honestly there weren't too many laughs. Some scenes had the promise of something great but it felt like it never really got going and then it was over. We laughed ab it more towards the end of the series but I'm not sure if it got funnier or we knew not to expect too much! A shame given the amount of really talented people on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I can honestly say .. this is hands-down the worst TV show I have ever seen in my life. I watched Ep1 thinking WTF...OK its an introduction Ill give ep2 a go. Absolutely ****e. then insisted on not giving up I put on EP3 and had to turn it off after 10minutes.

the most unfunny bull**** I have ever watched. Painfully painfully bad.
    And no Im not being a troll and yes I do have a sense of humour.

PS... WTAF was John Malkovich thinking, getting involved in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I watched it all and it's strange:

I like most of the characters and actors involved. I liked the fact that Carrell's character wasn't a total idiot as alluded to in the trailers. Liked the human sides to his character with his family and friendships.

I think John Malkovitch and Jimmy Yang are very funny and well cast. As a matter of fact I quite liked the entire cast apart from the PR guy. I get it, he's supposed to be annoying and is a comment on the Social Media-focused whitehouse currently in place but jeez, dial him back..... a lot.

I think it's the overall mixed-bag tone that doesn't work. I would be much more interested in seeing them cut out the kidnapped-monkey type thing and the last-minute replacements. I don't mean a serious drama, there are a couple already out there about the Space Race and more coming. Keep it light but not that light and keep a consistent tone.

If it gets another series I will watch it. The most common complaint by reviewers is the inconsistent tone and I'm sure they will address this to a degree going forward. So I will watch the next season but I'm not really counting down the days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Renewed for a second season, despite the consensus being a big "meh"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Didn't make it past episode 3 - obviously appeals more to the US audience than the worldwide one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »

That is a surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The mind boggles

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The husband and I seem to be one of the few people who enjoyed it. Not always funny, it had lots of nice character moments and I loved the relationship between Carrell's and Malkovich's character which played against my expectation in a good way. It reminded of "Upload" (also by Greg Daniels) which also isn't that funny but has strong character pieces.
    His shows also do tend to get stronger in their second season, so I'd be hopeful enough.

I assume its renewal is based partially on viewership - its reviews are fairly irrelevant to Netflix's metrics - but also on the names involved and keeping them sweet by whatever deal they signed them up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strange I thought Upload was a fun quirky show but just couldn't get in to this at all

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

fritzelly wrote: »
    Strange I thought Upload was a fun quirky show but just couldn't get in to this at all

Upload was actually great.
    Space force = utter SH1T3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What gets me about Space Force is how inconsistent it is, even with itself.

Naird is obviously very competent. He 'wins' the first episode by a very astute observation on human nature. He's an accomplished fighter jock, did the Scott O' Grady thing in combat, performs outstandingly in front of the Congressional hearing about the cost of oranges in space. He obviously 'understands' technology, you don't fly modern aircraft in combat without full faith that the scientists who built your airplane and weapons know what they're doing. He shows reasonable leadership qualities with the Captain/helo driver, and even gets properly exasperated at his aide who's a general himself. And he's not a bad dad.

Yet on the other hand, he goes into complete farce mode with the space monkey episode (which I thought was the worst of the lot by far, so obviously I have a different sense of humor to you guys) or the wargames episode, goes off the deep end with the spy hunt or habitat, totally ignoring those same scientists... It's like they are two entirely separate characters inhabiting the same body (And thus two entirely different types of show inhabiting the same series). It's possible for a straight, intelligent character to be incredibly funny, and even lose sometimes. Sir Humphrey Appleby being the high point of such a character. Why they decided to had to turn him into an idiot, I don't know. Sure, bad decisions can be made under stress, but stress doesn't turn you into a clown.

By the way, his uniform got kudos as being one of the few to appear in a movie or show with a medal rack which makes sense for the character wearing it, with the right numbers of the right levels of awards and campaign ribbons.

It's like I got to the end on principle and the hope it would get better,

• Registered Users Posts: 60,331 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 drops February 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Wonder if humour will be included this time? First season was such a waste of a great cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It must have been well watched....I admit I gave up after a few episodes, doubt it is cheap to make

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I watched the first episode today and it was right until it a creepy turn with the general’s reaction to Bobby the Russian spy dating the teenage daughter Then the end with Carrell & Malkiovich sitting on the porch made zero sense - through the episode they had a weird and funny relationship with Malkiovich believing Carrell worked for him and suddenly it they were friends having a normal conversation.

And of the small amount of women in the episode only one was given comedy to do.

Every scientist and military character were doing comedy (whether it was actually funny or not) except the female pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,331 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, the premise of this show sure aged fast. Is the real life Space Force even a thing, or was it quietly shelved after Biden arrived?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That trailer hasn’t done anything to convince me anyway, looks like another season of comedy-by-the-numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

lol im shocked, it looks like the days of throwing any auld shiite against the wall to what sticks are gone.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement