Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus, crafting and gifting

Options
  • 06-04-2020 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Now that i have some extra time on my hands i have been doing lots of knitting and sewing. Ive loads of little things made for family and friends but am concerned about contamination. There doesnt yet seem to be details about how long the virus lasts on fabric. Some can be washed first but not at the recommended 60C. Some are felt and cant be washed.
    I was thinking if i just leave something sitting in a sealed bag for a week would it then be safe to gift. Or what if i bagged it and put it in the freezer. Though if they are freezing the samples before testing then maybe that wont work.
    Any suggestions, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Freezing would only work for bacteria I'd say. Your best bet is UV light (from sun) and air moving over it. Luckily weather is dry these days so leave them out in a clear open bag. I don't think you'd have to wait a week:

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/how-long-does-coronavirus-live-on-clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Thanks I read that article and a few others that state they dont currently know how long it can survive on fabric.
    I appreciate the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Virus lasts longer on plastic than paper/cardboard so a box might be better than a bag, lovely weather to open the flaps and let air in/out, a week would it.

Ive got the sewing machine out also, also 70 degrees in oven for 40 mins is the advice HSE were given.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Fr. Altier : Coronavirus - The truth Revealed.

Fr. Altier has an "interesting" video on YouTube as per the above.

Is he right?
    He says there is proof of all his claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just keep items (in a plastic bag) for two weeks to establish that you didn't have the virus when you were making the item, then it will be safe to give. Recipient can wipe off bag when they receive it, if they are concerned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement