Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Mains supply energy monitoring

• 03-04-2020 1:29pm
    Moderators Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭ Black_Knight

Looking to get an energy monitor on my mains supply. My meter is outside, but i've an external socket right beside it to power a monitor.

Criteria:
    • Inexpensive
    • DIY install
    • Wireless connectivity
    • API to expose metrics or some integration with Home assistant

Ultimately I want to visualise it in Home assistant and thus Grafana, so it needs to be connected to my network in order to scrape data from it.

I've heard of the shelly EM... is that suitable for mains? Is that suitable for Ireland or is it US specific?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 11,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭ 2011

I have a Mi Home device. This is wireless, battery powered and is DIY install. It trends my homes electrical energy usage (in watts) in realtime as well as providing instantaneous values. I can also set the unit rate but not in € only in £ (no big deal). This information is available on a PC or mobile app.

• Moderators Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭ Black_Knight

2011 wrote: »
    I have a Mi Home device. This is wireless, battery powered and is DIY install. It trends my homes electrical energy usage (in watts) in realtime as well as providing instantaneous values. I can also set the unit rate but not in € only in £ (no big deal). This information is available on a PC or mobile app.

Thanks! That requires a hub and the monitor, yes? Seems about £110 for the hub and monitor. Unfortunately it looks like it doesn't integrate with home assistant directly, but perhaps could use their API to extract data.
    Battery powered would be handy too though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 11,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭ 2011

Thanks! That requires a hub and the monitor, yes? Seems about £110 for the hub and monitor. Unfortunately it looks like it doesn't integrate with home assistant directly, but perhaps could use their API to extract data.
    Battery powered would be handy too though.

It only requires hub, not a monitor. Your smartphone or PC is your monitor.

2011 wrote: »
    It only requires hub, not a monitor. Your smartphone or PC is your monitor.

By monitor, I meant the sensor itself. My bad.

Anyone else any experience with these types of monitors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ TobyZiegler

Anyone else any experience with these types of monitors?

Hey BlackKnight

I've the efergy energy monitor for about a year and works pretty well. The app interface is crap but I was able to download another Android energy monitor app which uses their APIs from a guy called Dan Stone.

The device I have has the standard clamps which I attached to the mains line which transmits to a receiver connected to the router. As the transmitter is battery powered it's a DIY job as you don't need to power it from the board.

Not sure does it integrate with Home Assistant tho. If HA can integrate with ZWave devices then Aeotec do an energy monitor which could work.

Decent list of options here https://www.smarthomeperfected.com/best-energy-monitors/ if it's any help

There's a RasberryPi based monitor which might be worth a look as it's open source so more likely to be integratable

Thanks Toby! I'm have to check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭ kaisersose77

I would like to do the same as I've got into using home assistant recently. For the Shelly EM how does one know which clamp to get (50A or 120A)? I just have a normal 3 bed house. Also is this something an electrician would be able to install no bother (as in there are clear instructions on how to install)? wouldn't be one for messing around with mainboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭ ECO_Mental

Just got the Shelly EM about a week ago and installed it into my main board and got it up and running with Home Assistant very easily and have it uploading to InfluxDB and then Grafana to do some fancy charts.

You are right though it does mean messing about in your main fuse board so if you are not comfortable doing this then this is not for you. I'm not an electrician and have two feeds as I have solar PV so I had to be extra careful. Just switch off the main trip switch and the the isolator for the PV and get a phase tester to double check everything is dead. But to be honest even when I knew I had the main trip down the the board was dead I still treated it like it was still live......The trickiest part is getting power to the Shelly unit as you have to attached a live and neutral to one of the trips on the board. The CT clamps are easy just again even if you know the board is dead treat it like it live.

I went with the 120A CT clamps as I have a house with a heat pump and I have a 16 kVA connection with a 100Amp fuse so this seamed appropriate. Once up and running and connected to Wi-Fi HA picked it up straightway and got it integrated. I have one clamp on the main ESB incomer before the PV feed as I wanted to capture any power going back to the grid. current going in the opposite direction is picked up as a negative and even the Shelly picks this as returned energy and tracks it. The sampling rate is instantaneous as far as I can see nearly every few seconds as far as I can see.

I would recommend, I am thinking of getting another one to monitor my PV as the Solis inverter only samples every 3 minutes I think and pick up the utility room plug circuit as I have the washing machine and drier on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ comete

I have a Shelly em with 120a clamp and don’t have the confidence to wire it into my fuse board myself, and don’t really use my HA for monitoring what my home is doing, mainly operating in the background to manage automations.

I know it’s against the rules so consider this more of a heads up that I’ll be popping it on adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ Explosive_Cornflake

Send me a PM or let me know when it's up, I am interested.

Advertisement