Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Runner

• 02-04-2020 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’ve took up jogging to shed some weight and improve some fitness. It’s my first time jogging in a long time but I’ve went the gym and lifted weights.

Anyway, I did my 5km today and it took me 31 mins ish and I was wheezing and coughing heavily. I think I should have eased myself in to it slowly by maybe doing 1km but I wanted to test myself.

Can anyone offer me some solid advice before I go throw myself in to my next jog?

Will I start out with a C25K app? Or is there any other programs you recommend?

How should I warm up and cool down?

Also, I don’t smoke yet I was wheezing really badly?

Do I need particular clothing/footwear?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You don't need C25k if you already can run 5k.

If you were wheezing and coughing, you were probably running too fast - just slow down next time and you will soon get a feel for pace. Run easy - easy enough to hold a conversation (talking to yourself, obviously, in the current climate). :)

Warm up and cool down by starting/finishing even slower.

Re gear - a good piroshki's of proper running shoes is essential. Avoid cotton - 'technical' fabrics wick sweat away and don't chafe.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Omega28

Murph_D wrote: »
    You don't need C25k if you already can run 5k.

If you were wheezing and coughing, you were probably running too fast - just slow down next time and you will soon get a feel for pace. Run easy - easy enough to hold a conversation (talking to yourself, obviously, in the current climate). :)

Warm up and cool down by starting/finishing even slower.

Re gear - a good piroshki's of proper running shoes is essential. Avoid cotton - 'technical' fabrics wick sweat away and don't chafe.

Good luck with it!

I was reading online that 5km should take below 30 mins easily and I took 31 mins?

The wheezing was really bad to be fair.

Where do I go from here regarding how to improve my pace/distance?

Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't get too hooked into what it 'should' be. If it's 31 minutes for you now (or slower), that's fine. Listen to your body. Take it down a bit now to ease the breathing and until you get more comfortable with the distance and your own style. Play the long game and your time will come down.

Here's a sub 30 5k video. Maybe something to come back to after you feel you've reached consistency in your approach (taking it slow).

Don't get too hooked into what it 'should' be. If it's 31 minutes for you now (or slower), that's fine. Listen to your body. Take it down a bit now to ease the breathing and until you get more comfortable with the distance and your own style. Play the long game and your time will come down.

Here's a sub 30 5k video. Maybe something to come back to after you feel you've reached consistency in your approach (taking it slow).

Is the wheezing and coughing from pushing too hard?

Do you think I should be following some sort of running program or just continue to work my 5k?

Also, my inner thighs were chafing. Is this because I'm just too fat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

31 mins for your first 5k is a super start give your self a day off and get out and do it again next time you could use the 1st k to warm up push the second at your 31 min pace and slow your 3rd push your 4th and slow your 5th give yourself a few weeks of this and you will get faster and fitter and the coughing and wheezing will ease until you push it again

lookup parkrun get yourself registered and when that starts up again get a saturday morning fix :)

Went out today and did the 5km again 30:19. About 1 min quicker than yesterday. Hopefully I get under 30 mins soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭ooter

Omega28 wrote: »
    Also, my inner thighs were chafing. Is this because I'm just too fat?

no, I wore a pair of short shorts that I don't normally wear on a run last week and I got pretty bad chafing. been wearing my usual longer shorts since and I've been fine

make sure to give yourself breaks between runs and dont worry about the times last think you want is an injury

bmwfan wrote: »
    make sure to give yourself breaks between runs and dont worry about the times last think you want is an injury

I also do a lot of walking daily in general with work etc... for example, I'm on 41,000 steps and it's 8pm.

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend me a pair of runners? Budget of around €50 - €100

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

You can get the Reebok Forever Floatride Energy 2 for around €50 delivered from their website at the moment. Great shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I like ASICS gt2000. Depending on your size can get a pair for 70-90. But if you are a standard size 10 or similar you’ll be paying about 100-140.

Fir chaffing you can get cream or I find shorts with lining great : https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/run-dry-men-s-running-shorts-blue-en-s165444.html

Basically have built in tight boxers. Keeps dry and reduces chaffing

you dont want to get any runner the best is to get someone to look at how you run and get the correct fit
    https://www.amphibianking.ie/ are great but im guessing are closed because of c19 elverys also do this

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm going to try stick at this now. How long does it take to progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Nike pegasus 35 or 36's..good price on sportshoes..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm going to try stick at this now. How long does it take to progress?

What is progress to you, running a 5km faster or running longer distances? Something else?

Naos wrote: »
    What is progress to you, running a 5km faster or running longer distances? Something else?

For now, to get better at my 5km. I take around 30/31 mins to do it, which I know is ridiculously slow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

For now, to get better at my 5km. I take around 30/31 mins to do it, which I know is ridiculously slow

I'm not an expert by any stretch, my fastest 5km is around 25mins but I'm working on it at the moment.

I'm sure someone more experienced will give better advise but from my reading, in order to get faster then you need to up your weekly distance.

Increase your weekly distance with longer runs, just run slower (you're doing 6mins/km at the moment, so run at say 7mins/km) and then re-test in 4 weeks time.

Naos wrote: »
    I'm not an expert by any stretch, my fastest 5km is around 25mins but I'm working on it at the moment.

I'm sure someone more experienced will give better advise but from my reading, in order to get faster then you need to up your weekly distance.

Increase your weekly distance with longer runs, just run slower (you're doing 6mins/km at the moment, so run at say 7mins/km) and then re-test in 4 weeks time.

Thanks for the advice. Will I go for 10km now at 7mins/km?

25 mins is amazing. Fair play to you.

Did you pick up any injuries when you started running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,537 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In weeks of commitment you’ll be in the mid 20s time wise. It’s all endurance improvement in the beginning. Getting the speed-endurance is where it really gets tough..

walshb wrote: »
    In weeks of commitment you’ll be in the mid 20s time wise. It’s all endurance improvement in the beginning. Getting the speed-endurance is where it really gets tough..

At the beginning is it all improving stamina and adapting?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,537 ✭✭✭✭walshb

At the beginning is it all improving stamina and adapting?

100 percent.....you said yourself that it has been quite a while since running, and this would explain the coughing and wheezing

It's also a great time to get your form and posture and gait in order.....this will help with overall efficiency and economy.

After a few weeks of commitment you will find that you can hold your form and pace that bit longer and longer....

30 minutes will then seem a lot easier to do consistently. You won't feel it near as tough to do; this is where you then push on, and the times lower.

The miles are in the legs and in the heart and in the lungs....you should see yourself pushing on with actual intent, as opposed to having to to reach a goal...you will want to, and will feel strong pushing on as opposed to really hurting.

And remember, apart from foods and liquids you put into your body, mots important of all is decent rest between days of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

The below really worked for me a couple of years back.

My best advice: slow down.

If your really intent on getting your 5k time down - start with your 30 mins benchmark. 6mins per km.

If you're running a couple of times a week do:

1. EVERY WEEK: A slow, long run - DEAD slow (7 or even 8 mins per km). Run for an hour, don't even think about the distance.
    2. An interval run - run HARD for a short distance (sprint 200m, or run fast up a hill) then slow for a while. Do 5, 10, 20 repeats - depending on how you feel.
    3. A tempo run - run whatever distance you want to run THAT DAY (i.e. doesn't have to be 5k) at 6mins or maybe 6:30 per km

Lastly - forget 5k except every few weeks to do a test to see how you're progressing. Some days do 3k - some days do 7k - just be consistently running.

And finally - REST.

Also - on the wheezing - I find this time of year with cold weather can be bad for getting wheezy.

It's possible you have a mild cold or something like that.

There's a virus going around at the moment - shortness of breath is one of the symptoms - probably not anything to worry about though.....:P

thejaguar wrote: »
    The below really worked for me a couple of years back.

My best advice: slow down.

If your really intent on getting your 5k time down - start with your 30 mins benchmark. 6mins per km.

If you're running a couple of times a week do:

1. EVERY WEEK: A slow, long run - DEAD slow (7 or even 8 mins per km). Run for an hour, don't even think about the distance.
    2. An interval run - run HARD for a short distance (sprint 200m, or run fast up a hill) then slow for a while. Do 5, 10, 20 repeats - depending on how you feel.
    3. A tempo run - run whatever distance you want to run THAT DAY (i.e. doesn't have to be 5k) at 6mins or maybe 6:30 per km

Lastly - forget 5k except every few weeks to do a test to see how you're progressing. Some days do 3k - some days do 7k - just be consistently running.

And finally - REST.

This is great advice. I am going to make this my program from now on.

How many days a week do you recommend I run? Is it wise to run 7 days a week? I know you mentioned rest but just wondering how many days a week should I rest.

Also, should I be incorporating other forms training such as core work?

Thanks

a day on and a day off
    let your body heal

you dont want to get injured

Would it be perfectly normal to experience pains/niggles around the ankles, shins, hips, knees, quads when starting out running?

I've been going every day now, sorta on a buzz with the running but my legs feel like there in a lot of pain and feel sorta numb?

How many days a week do you recommend I run?

I was doing 3 days a week running, but cycling to work 5 days and getting some sessions in the gym.
    Day on, day off sounds reasonable

Is it wise to run 7 days a week?

Starting out - I'd say no. Or some of those days should be very short runs. Rest is so important - and probably the most difficult thing to do when you're starting out full of enthusiasm.

Plan your day(s) off and look forward to the rest, so you don't get the urge to get out and do something.
    (Going for a swim could count as a day off by the way)

Also, should I be incorporating other forms training such as core work?

Yes.

Full disclosure - the fastest 5k I've EVER RUN was 21 minutes or so. I'm nowhere near that right now. There are people on here far more qualified to give advice - but what I'm descirbing really worked for me - got me feeling fit, strong and really enjoying running.

• Advertisement

Would it be perfectly normal to experience pains/niggles around the ankles, shins, hips, knees, quads when starting out running?

I've been going every day now, sorta on a buzz with the running but my legs feel like there in a lot of pain and feel sorta numb?

Yes - it's your body telling you to take a break. You need to listen carefully.

Advertisement