Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibility of TV above fireplace

Options
  • 02-04-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am obviously clueless about electrics. We recently moved into a house, and above the fireplace there is wiring from the picture below. Does this mean its set up to hang a tv about the fireplace. There isnt a socket close by so im hoping so

IMG-20200402-151835.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Looks more like a wall light position, but hard to tell from that photo.

It's super trashy to hang a TV over a fireplace.
    But thats for another day .
    How would you get your other cables to the TV?

Those cables are for a light anyway.
    There are singles

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

First no that's most likely a lighting fixture for maybe above a picture.
    Secondly we've our TV above the fireplace. If that makes me super trashy then sign me up. Our room is symmetrical laid out if it was placed anywhere else it would offset the room and look stupid.
    Rather trashy than stupid.

Oh yeah it's my house... No one else is in it.

It's super trashy to hang a TV over a fireplace.

Yea I dont know what the appeal is with that.

listermint wrote: »
    Secondly we've our TV above the fireplace. If that makes me super trashy then sign me up. Our room is symmetrical laid out if it was placed anywhere else it would offset the room and look stupid.

Take it down at once:pac::D

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea I dont know what the appeal is with that.

The appeal is probably that not everyone lives in a two up two down where the fireplace is 2 meters from the couch... Perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Me too it saves loads of space and the TV can be seen from every angle...

Take it down at once:pac::D

I would but the missus is watching a movie

I would but the missus is watching a movie
    Is it any good?

Is it any good?

No idea. I'm on here :)

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    Me too it saves loads of space and the TV can be seen from every angle...

You must like sitting in the front row of the cinema :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi,
    I am obviously clueless about electrics. We recently moved into a house, and above the fireplace there is wiring from the picture below. Does this mean its set up to hang a tv about the fireplace. There isnt a socket close by so im hoping so

IMG-20200402-151835.jpg

A TV will require a minimum of the following:
    - Power supply cable
    - HDMI cable

In my opinion a TV looks terrible over a fire place, it is simply too high.

Sit on your favorite TV chair, measure the vertical distance from the floor to your eye. This is the ideal height for the center of the TV screen from finished floor level. Any higher and you have to look up any lower and you have to look down. Too much of either can result in neck strain. The ideal height may look low but very quickly you will realize that it is best.

There is an obsession with mounting flat screens high that people need to get over. I think that this is because pubs were the first place that people saw flat screens and they had to be high so that everyone in the pub could see them. Back in the old days our box TVs were low and it worked. We should have stuck with that IMHO.

In summary don't mount your TV over the fireplace :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Ours lasted about 2 weeks above fireplace before it was taken down. I hated the height it was at, just couldn't get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

2011 wrote:

This is it for me. Forget trashy. It would just be hung too high for optimum viewing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Thanks for advice everyone. It's sort of a playroom so the fireplace wouldn't be used and it's to keep out of reach of young hands.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think for a playroom it's a good idea.

I'd mine above the fireplace. I moved it, it was a pain in the neck watching it.

It's the right spot, just the wrong height. Works out well for sound too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

2011 wrote: »
    - Power supply cable
    - HDMI cable

Sit on your favorite TV chair, measure the vertical distance from the floor to your eye. This is the ideal height for the center of the TV screen from finished floor level. Any higher and you have to look up any lower and you have to look down. Too much of either can result in neck strain. The ideal height may look low but very quickly you will realize that it is best.

There is an obsession with mounting flat screens high that people need to get over. I think that this is because pubs were the first place that people saw flat screens and they had to be high so that everyone in the pub could see them. Back in the old days our box TVs were low and it worked. We should have stuck with that IMHO.

In summary don't mount your TV over the fireplace :D:D

Hdmi cable, that's horse and cart generation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People mostly think of it for horizontal viewing angles with TV and seat placement, but if the TV is too high the picture will look very washed out. Then you'd need to angle the TV and if it protrudes too much to ruins some of the astetics of wall mounting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I think the OP simply asked about a power supply (not advise about where the tv should be located)

It does indeed look that there is an available power supply via a (as others said) disused lighting fixture.

Perhaps first try to find if that power supply works -?

If so, for all practical purposes I do not see any issue for using that supply for a tv as opposed to a light.

(Yes, hdmi cable also required , inter alia possibly, but those are different questions.

To the OP I would try to find out if there is power there - others could possibly suggest how you could determine that

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The appeal is probably that not everyone lives in a two up two down where the fireplace is 2 meters from the couch... Perhaps.

Yeah but the top on the tv being 2m off the ground is the issue. How the hell do people sit watching television looking up near the ceiling.

CRT TVs used to be on stands roughly the height of the seat cushion you sit on. That way you're looking more or less at it straight on. The television in my sitting room is on the wall a little bit higher than that so it's at eye level when I sit down not up high at eye level when you are standing like pictures.

Edit , beaten to it by 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

Pretty sure that just powered a sacred heart lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stoner wrote: »
    I think for a playroom it's a good idea.

I'd mine above the fireplace. I moved it, it was a pain in the neck watching it.

It's the right spot, just the wrong height. Works out well for sound too.

Tbh, I'd say itd probably be worse in a playroom. Kids are probably going to be sitting on the ground playing, meaning their heads will be constantly up in the air at a worse angle than adults on a sofa.

Yeah but the top on the tv being 2m off the ground is the issue. How the hell do people sit watching television looking up near the ceiling.

CRT TVs used to be on stands roughly the height of the seat cushion you sit on. That way you're looking more or less at it straight on. The television in my sitting room is on the wall a little bit higher than that so it's at eye level when I sit down not up high at eye level when you are standing like pictures.

Edit , beaten to it by 2011

Perhaps a wall bracket to adjust the angle?
    (the OP may have considered this aspect - the question was regarding the power supply)

But good suggestions, overall

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Podge201 wrote: »
    Hdmi cable, that's horse and cart generation

I did state that it was a minimum. That means that it could be replaced with a superior alternative.

adrian92 wrote: »
    Perhaps a wall bracket to adjust the angle?

This will deal with the angle that the screen is observed at but the viewer will still have to look up. Also in my opinion a flat screen TV always looks best when mounted flat to the wall with no cabling visible. This gives it a cool minimalist look.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The most minimalistic tv set-up I've ever seen was a picture of the corner of a room where the tv used to be. I wonder would ya still have to pay the tv licence fee...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

2011 wrote: »
    - Power supply cable
    - HDMI cable

Sit on your favorite TV chair, measure the vertical distance from the floor to your eye. This is the ideal height for the center of the TV screen from finished floor level. Any higher and you have to look up any lower and you have to look down.

To be pedantic, it's your eye level to near the top of the screen, not the centre.
    That accommodates children and when you're slouching in your chair.

For a lot of people it's easier to move your eyeballs down that up, same with tilting your head. Monitors are the same ;)

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    To be pedantic, it's your eye level to near the top of the screen, not the centre.
    That accommodates children and when you're slouching in your chair.

For a lot of people it's easier to move your eyeballs down that up, same with tilting your head. Monitors are the same ;)

So when sitting on a couch, you want the top of the tv at eye level?

The OP was asking about the power supply.
    None of us have addressed the question, me too.

Anyone know how to answer the OP question?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

adrian92 wrote: »
    The OP was asking about the power supply.
    None of us have addressed the question, me too.

Anyone know how to answer the OP question?

It was answered in replies #1, 2 & 3 among others. The cabling pictured appears to be from a wall/picture light and not suitable for the supply of a t.v.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement