Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland - A Gerard Butler Disaster Movie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

I thought it was a great movie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

What a load of garbage, Butler couldn't act the egit. Cliche after cliche, of course the kid had diabetes and who'd have guessed they lost his medicine. They just don't make movies like they used to. I haven't seen a good movie since Gene Hackman retired lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Thought it was great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It was mediocre tbh. As a stand-alone movie it was “ok”. It passed 2 hours. But it brought absolutely nothing to the genre, so you’d wonder what was the point? All the usual cliches and tropes as others have said. Lots of movies, particularly from the 1990’s (Independence Day, Armageddon, deep impact...) all did this far better and they still stand up to repeated viewings. This one won’t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This was entertaining, if not particularly good. The plot hit the clichés pretty hard, but one welcome narrative twist was how the various side characters were not universally awful when the excrement hit the fan; good people helped others amid the chaos, which made for a nice change from the usual nihilistic impulses of these kind of disaster films.

The real let down was the FX: they were OK, but frequently just fake enough to break the suspension of disbelief. In particular, the use of obviously CGI flames during a car crash completely robbed the scene of any danger.

• Advertisement

Totaly unbelievable, dude does the dirt on Morena Baccarin?
    Not buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's very unoriginal and painfully cliche, but I still enjoyed it, it's one of those popcorn munchers that is visually very satisfying and moves along at a good clip the whole time.

Doesn't really have the re-watch factor of something like 2012 - and isn't much more than a much lower budget version of that movie really - but for once-off entertainment it's fairly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

did he get his pancakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think he has more than pancakes lately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Not the disaster movie you're expecting. Enjoyed it.

I'm not going to tear into a movie cause it's cliched. I'll tear into it cause it's cliched and sh!t (or worse mediocre). This is cliched and good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

It's decent. a very low-key end of the world film. I watched Geostorm recently and found it odd that there was no big money shot or anything as the trailer certainly suggested as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,159 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I couldn't get over how nice everyone was for the most part.

Soooo many times I would have expected people to be told to F off or shot in real life, but everyone was just so helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I couldn't get over how nice everyone was for the most part.

Soooo many times I would have expected people to be told to F off or shot in real life, but everyone was just so helpful.

on that, the Black NPC's were great and helped our heros along the way, the looter in the Pharmacy and the guy in the truck. the dodgy NPC's where white, white suburban couple will steal your kids Yo! and the white racist in the truck that had a beef because our hero was Scottish :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

silverharp wrote: »
    on that, the Black NPC's were great and helped our heros along the way, the looter in the Pharmacy and the guy in the truck. the dodgy NPC's where white, white suburban couple will steal your kids Yo! and the white racist in the truck that had a beef because our hero was Scottish :pac:

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that I actually noticed that about the random characters.
    I thought the film was surprisingly effective in parts. It could have been improved by removing the unnecessary husband/wife issues, and also replacing Gerard Butler with any other actor *at all*.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yet the pivotal Kind Stranger role, the one who most demonstrably saved the family from immediate death, was a white Canadian. If we're going down that road. Though the Canucks are genetically kinder anyway ;)

A fairer read would be along class lines IMO. Not without reason it was those already on the edges of society, before the meteor fell, that helped the leads. Those already living on charity and desperation finding it easier to pay it forward than the suburban middle class who turned into monsters at the first sign of trouble. THAT'S a theme seen loads of times previous.

Butler's dad of course being the "salt of the earth" working man, more pragmatic in the face of annihilation. The film had an angle on class, not race - though the two are inextricably linked in America IMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yet the pivotal Kind Stranger role, the one who most demonstrably saved the family from immediate death, was a white Canadian. If we're going down that road. Though the Canucks are genetically kinder anyway ;)

A fairer read would be along class lines IMO. Not without reason it was those already on the edges of society, before the meteor fell, that helped the leads. Those already living on charity and desperation finding it easier to pay it forward than the suburban middle class who turned into monsters at the first sign of trouble. THAT'S a theme seen loads of times previous.

Butler's dad of course being the "salt of the earth" working man, more pragmatic in the face of annihilation. The film had an angle on class, not race - though the two are inextricably linked in America IMO

Im not sure I'd want to test that theory in real life but far as the film goes my comment was specifically about the random characters they bumped into, i wouldnt include the pilot as they were seeking him out or the dad in that group, plus in the truck the white working class guy was the racist.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that I actually noticed that about the random characters.
    I thought the film was surprisingly effective in parts. It could have been improved by removing the unnecessary husband/wife issues, and also replacing Gerard Butler with any other actor *at all*.

you seem to have the same opinion as all of his film wives :pac:

silverharp wrote: »
    Im not sure I'd want to test that theory in real life but far as the film goes my comment was specifically about the random characters they bumped into, i wouldnt include the pilot as they were seeking him out or the dad in that group, plus in the truck the white working class guy was the racist.

So what you're saying is both our readings are flawed, and that "Greenland", the Gerard Butler film, mightn't be as clever or subtextual as we might assume ;)

Naw, the pilot has to count given he
    decided to take the family, despite the fact the plane was overweight already and they were late to the airport. Heck Butler's character played chicken with the plane, I can't say I'd have been so accommodating after trying to kill everyone.

pixelburp wrote: »
    So what you're saying is both our readings are flawed, and that "Greenland", the Gerard Butler film, mightn't be as clever or subtextual as we might assume ;)

Naw, the pilot has to count given he
    decided to take the family, despite the fact the plane was overweight already and they were late to the airport. Heck Butler's character played chicken with the plane, I can't say I'd have been so accommodating after trying to kill everyone.

eehh , they were seeking out someone that clearly had good intentions, as you mentioned above it was in Canada so kind of lends itself to the character type. I'm not saying they went out of their way to make a racist film , all the main characters were White and decent people, it was like they had to throw a bone where they had a little bit of freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Maybe the character was Canadian because it added the factor of distance as an obstacle and it’s closer to Tir Glas. What aboot that, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watched it last night, I thought that was brilliant to be honest, really enjoyed it. Excellent characters, pacing and tension. Absolutely a predictable ending but it felt realistic and scary.

So apparently there's a sequel on the way, which is kind of a shame given it was a nice once-off surprise; the story didn't need a follow-up IMO. Difficult to know what success here was, given everything that happened in 2020. No domestic box office with a paltry $53 million worldwide: but obviously the studio saw enough potential to greenlight another film. No mention of budget on boxofficemojo, but it wasn't especially FX heavy, with no real stars to speak of ... maybe $10 million? I dunno, that's pulled outta my áss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It was a big VOD hit apparently. While none of this stuff is publicly available, IndieWire estimates the studio took in a 60-80 million profit thanks to digital rentals, streaming rights deals etc…

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/02/stx-greenland-pvod-hit-exhibitors-existential-threat-1234617593/

Given that sort of profit on a relatively modest budget for a disaster movie… yes, you can see why they’re eager for a sequel.

I'd well believe it was a successful on VOD. A starved market and good word of mouth to the effect of "it's surprisingly decent" would have done wonders.

Butler was born for Olympus Has Fallen, he is a bit wooden for me otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The distribution rights to Greenland: Migration was just bought by STX for $75m

While the film itself is costing close to $70m to make.

Butler & Baccarin will both return.

The original made about $55m at the VOD/Box Office on a budget of $35m.

Advertisement