Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin D question

Options
  • 30-03-2020 5:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34

So I've taken a guess that I would need 25 ug per day of D3. For a while I was taking one 100 ug capsule every 4 days.

But the company Solgar sell vitamin D in jars of 100 ug, 50 ug, and 25 ug. You'd expect the jar with the 100 ug to work out at better value (which it does), but given that it works out at so much better value, I'd don't get the logic behind selling the smaller sized capsules at such an expensive price!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Google vitamin d3 and + Ivor Cummins or Rhonda Patrick.
    Will give you a wider perspective of opinion on dosage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Griselda

Zamboni wrote: »
    Google vitamin d3 and + Ivor Cummins or Rhonda Patrick.
    Will give you a wider perspective of opinion on dosage.

Jury is out on Rhonda imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Griselda wrote: »
    Jury is out on Rhonda imo

I can understand your comment.
    I am not growing masses of broccoli sprouts anytime soon.
    But then she is a very smart and articulate scientist and like all of us, is fallible so I wouldn't completely write her off either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Increasing your magnesium intake is important when you take vit D. I have no idea what ug measurement coverts to in iu, but I take 4,000iu a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 EuKaryMe

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Increasing your magnesium intake is important when you take vit D. I have no idea what ug measurement coverts to in iu, but I take 4,000iu a day.
    That's normally the biggest size pill.

I take the view that it's okay to take a little (1000 IU) because I'm young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DefineSD

The general consensus is that 1000iu - 2000iu is perfectly okay to take daily.

Now thanks to having less sun In Ireland you could need more.

The easiest thing to do is get your based Vitamin D levels tested.

Now in our current predicament, that means it could be a little hard to get to the GP and get it done. So the likes of Letsgetchecked allow for you to do the work at home and send it off for the results.

This will give you a clear picture of how much you could need.

Also the use of DMinder - Which allows you to see when you go out in the sun to optimise your Vitamin D levels and bases it on your current level of Vitamin D.

Advertisement