Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coillte Trails - Stay at Home

Options
  • 28-03-2020 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭

Practice your social distancing at home..
    Hi all. Daithi de Forge here. Responsible for Coillte's MTB trails. As you will have heard by now, please stay at home. Don't go out tomorrow on the trails. As soon as this is over we will be building trails again as hard as we can. But for now, nothing. Thanks. Daithi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Someone who lives down near most of the trails in Wicklow posted this on MTB Ireland FBK:
    All the "mountain bikers" driving around wicklow with bikes hanging off the backs of your cars, you are taking the dorking piss , we will be banned from cycling altogether because of stunts like you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Absolute idiots. As a community we rely on the authorities turning a blind eye to some activities. Last thing we need is to put a target on our backs. Just jump on the turbo or go for a run.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Someone who lives down near most of the trails in Wicklow posted this on MTB Ireland FBK:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

If they bought a van or estate we wouldn't have this problem :rolleyes: (On a more serious not 10 lashings should be handed out to anyone caught)

Peter T wrote: »
    If they bought a van or estate we wouldn't have this problem :rolleyes: (On a more serious not 10 lashings should be handed out to anyone caught)

Ha! Well it's gotten ridiculous over the last 5 years or so, to see lads driving big Land Rover SUV's with €8,000+ MTB's with coil shocks and 170mm forks to go "Shred Ballinastoe"

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Keeps the second hand market topped up nicely though:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

I live within 2kms of 3 rock mountain and have been out biking and with the dog a bit since the lockdown, staying within 2kms of the house out of principle, there way too many bikers around to be living that close.

Gives all mountain bikers a bad name, especially groups of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

I live within 2kms of 3 rock mountain and have been out biking and with the dog a bit since the lockdown, staying within 2kms of the house out of principle, there way too many bikers around to be living that close.

Several bigger groups today (3 or 4), plus one or two motocrossers who seem to be taking advantage of their new "freedom" to rip the place up. I'm personally not at all bothered by people stretching the elastic band on the 2km front, but it's just stupid to be grouping up.

In contrast, nice to see several obvious father/son pairings out on the bikes though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very few residences within the 2K area when you look at it, and what percentage are likely to by MTBers? Sounds very much like people taking the píss.

509492.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

smacl wrote: »
    Very few residences within the 2K area when you look at it, and what percentage are likely to by MTBers? Sounds very much like people taking the píss.

509492.jpg

Must be strictly doing runs of dreamtrack, sending the canyon gap I'd imagine.

Enduro wrote: »
    Several bigger groups today (3 or 4), plus one or two motocrossers who seem to be taking advantage of their new "freedom" to rip the place up. I'm personally not at all bothered by people stretching the elastic band on the 2km front, but it's just stupid to be grouping up.

Same, I don't mind seeing one or two solo spinners around the hills, typically you won't see anyone apart from the odd walker, horse rider or long distance runner.. ;)

But it's the groups!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

As for the MX'ers, they park up the vans at a well known pub carpark in South.Dub and then blitz up the trails, god help the person who gets in their way...

• Advertisement

In contrast, nice to see several obvious father/son pairings out on the bikes though.

Went for a short spin yesterday, heard at least one muppet on Motorcross or scrambler alright, some of them are total a holes, they shouldn’t be surprised if they come across a flying rock if they’re driving recklessly when there’s people about including kids *and mine in particular*

Went for a short spin yesterday, heard at least one muppet on Motorcross or scrambler alright, some of them are total a holes, they shouldn’t be surprised if they come across a flying rock if they’re driving recklessly when there’s people about including kids *and mine in particular*

Yeah, that was actually what was annoying me the most. So many family groups out trying to enjoy the outdoors (possibly newly discovering it) on a bank holiday, with one or two gits making an unbelievable racket and not exactly safety conscious either (I had one speed pass from them).

mad turnip wrote: »
    Must be strictly doing runs of dreamtrack, sending the canyon gap I'd imagine.

There are loads of young lads doing exactly that! Fair fecks to them.

Yeah, that was actually what was annoying me the most. So many family groups out trying to enjoy the outdoors (possibly newly discovering it) on a bank holiday.

Were all these family groups locals I wonder? ....:pac:......:pac:.....

One thing a lot of people(not you Enduro) don't realise is that the MX'ers were all over 3Rock long before walkers and MTB'ers arrived, so if people stick to the main fireroad trails when walking it's usually fine.

Were all these family groups locals I wonder? ....:pac:......:pac:.....

One thing a lot of people(not you Enduro) don't realise is that the MX'ers were all over 3Rock long before walkers and MTB'ers arrived, so if people stick to the main fireroad trails when walking it's usually fine.

I did the bone shaker on a bmx more than 35 years ago and first cycled up to fairy castle on mountain bike more than 20 years ago

All I’m saying is I’m old...

Don’t agree about mxers being around before walkers.

I try to be live and let live generally but some mxers are just plain dangerous whereas others are either ignorant or indifferent to the fact they’re negatively impacting others enjoyment

I’ve seen a solo mxers doing the upper metro relatively slowly late on a Friday evening when I have been pretty much the only other person around, doesn’t bother me but was up one busy weekend with two of my kids and three muppets came speeding up behind us on one of the single track trails, that’s plain stupid, needless to say after a few attempts to get past me(I wasnt very obliging) they fooked off somewhere else..

I think a lot of mountain bikers don’t realize that walkers were there Way before them and mountain biking is a relatively new phenomenon for older walkers, Imo nothing to be lost giving walkers a wide berth, particularly if you are somewhere that technically you shouldn’t be

Met someone I know recently and a mountain biker played chicken with him when he was running along sleepers up djouce/ white hill; it nearly came to fisticuffs. I cycle up there the odd time in the summer late in the evening when it’s dry, if we ever come. Across a Walker we stop and dismount or hop off the boardwalks, just seems common sense to me at least

I did the bone shaker on a bmx more than 35 years ago and first cycled up to fairy castle on mountain bike more than 20 years ago.Don’t agree about mxers being around before walkers.
    I try to be live and let live generally but some mxers are just plain dangerous whereas others are either ignorant or indifferent to the fact they’re negatively impacting others enjoyment
    I’ve seen a solo mxers doing the upper metro relatively slowly late on a Friday evening when I have been pretty much the only other person around, doesn’t bother me but was up one busy weekend with two of my kids and three muppets came speeding up behind us on one of the single track trails, that’s plain stupid, needless to say after a few attempts to get past me(I wasnt very obliging) they fooked off somewhere else..
    I think a lot of mountain bikers don’t realize that walkers were there Way before them and mountain biking is a relatively new phenomenon for older walkers, Imo nothing to be lost giving walkers a wide berth, particularly if you are somewhere that technically you shouldn’t be
    Met someone I know recently and a mountain biker played chicken with him when he was running along sleepers up djouce/ white hill; it nearly came to fisticuffs. I cycle up there the odd time in the summer late in the evening when it’s dry, if we ever come. Across a Walker we stop and dismount or hop off the boardwalks, just seems common sense to me at least

MX'ers have been up around 2/3 Rock for 30+ years, however, I'm not making any excuses for irresponsible behavior, i've had my run in's with lads on motorbikes up at Ticknock and have have been physically threatened by them too so i'm all for reporting dangerous riders, and would report them to either the Gardai or Coillte.

I should have prefaced walkers by saying "casual". There's been an explosion in the popularity of walking in the last number of years, usually by groups in bright Yoga pants and brand new shiny trainers.

As for your mate running along the Boardwalks, there's 2 sides to every story, there's plenty of people walking and running who believe no one should travel by bike where they run or walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Spotted a middle aged father and teenage son having a pootle around the village yesterday, both pulling sychronised wheelies...there's hope for the world yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm well aware that walkers were there walking the mountains before bikers. I always give way and get out of their way on designated walking trails. That doesnt excuse the attitude that a quite a few of them have towards mountain bikers, I can remember one woman completely ruining the buzz as we got to the summit of djouce and were just sitting around recovering and taking in the view.
    There is this feeling that we are treading upon their domain. Most walkers are fine though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gerry wrote:
    I'm well aware that walkers were there walking the mountains before bikers. I always give way and get out of their way on designated walking trails. That doesnt excuse the attitude that a quite a few of them have towards mountain bikers, I can remember one woman completely ruining the buzz as we got to the summit of djouce and were just sitting around recovering and taking in the view. There is this feeling that we are treading upon their domain. Most walkers are fine though!

I think some walkers can be arseholes, and some mountain bikers are arseholes to, we constantly have walkers in mind when designing trails, it's worked resonably well so far, with few incidents

For sure, definitely would agree there. It's hard to factor in to trail design completely though, a lot of metro 1 "skyline" is very fast and there are a lot of nearly blind corners, walkers do go onto it though, which is a recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I think some walkers can be arseholes, and some mountain bikers are arseholes to, we constantly have walkers in mind when designing trails, it's worked resonably well so far, with few incidents

When on 2 wheels you can usually spot the snarky walkers who may be looking for a chance to give you some grief...

I've also come across Mtb'ers who ride down trails as if they were at an Enduro world cup race on the badly made trails they build which cross fireroads where people typically walk...

I think the bottom line is people are a*holes no matter if on foot or bike.

Gerry wrote: »
    For sure, definitely would agree there. It's hard to factor in to trail design completely though, a lot of metro 1 "skyline" is very fast and there are a lot of nearly blind corners, walkers do go onto it though, which is a recipe for disaster.

V hard to put a MTB trail onto the side of the hill closest to probably 100,000+ people without adequate signage, I know there's a few little signs but they are easy to miss.

Plus the fact that the trails are nice and smooth and look like a lovely place to walk, who wouldn't be curious...

Some more rock gardens and gap jumps would make it a bit more of a MTB trail...

Coilte contractors are working on metro upper at the moment, as well as blocking off some of the ‘downhill’ trails off it they’re smoothing some of the very few rocky bits on it, it’ll be like a walking trail by the time they’re finished with it

Agree there is no need for the us and them attitude, some people are just tossers regardless of whether on foot, a bike, mxer or in a car. I run, walk and cycle around the mountains mostly solo, other times with kids, the dog or in small group of lads. In my experience no point going looking for confrontation and it just ruins everyone’s day, had a run in with the same walker a few times early in the morning who was obviously has nothing better to be fo*king doin but generally most walkers are fine. If your walking it can be disconcerting if someone on a bike come too close or too fast especially with younger kids, which I don’t think some younger people get

Thing is people remember the encounter with the asshole on a bike who nearly ran them over rah there than the 7 or 8 bikers who have them a berth and people tend to tar us all with the same brush

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Some more rock gardens and gap jumps would make it a bit more of a MTB trail...

... and you'll still get walkers on them. Happens not in-frequently here in Sheffield given the sheer volume of riding trails (mostly official & sanctioned) surrounding the city, although every other ride over the last few weeks in particular. Trails with rock gardens, drop offs, berms, table tops, rollers, etc. - even a dual slalom track - and you'll still have people/dogs/prams trying to wander onto them.

What the last few weeks has shown me is just how oblivious, inconsiderate, and/or generally just lacking in observational and situational awareness most people are. More depressingly is the reaction of some folk when explained politely that they're on a [designated MTB] trail, and in some cases the most unwise/unsafe parts to be given people cycle down those parts at speed, some folk just don't give a sh1t and continue.

It's not so bad if you're on a straight section with decent visibility, or an uphill climb (unless they refuse to move but tbh that's rare), but it's when you're on downhill sections and turn a corner to find a family with a pram, or a dog walker with a dog on a 20ft leash strung across the trail in front of you that just makes me wince at the thought; it gets into "Grab the brakes and pray" territory.

But what can you do? "Be nice, say hi" and be aware of what's going on around you so you can try not to have an accident because someone else is an ignorant/blind/inattentive plank.

Edit: just to be clear, I am talking about actual sanctioned MTB trails, not shared trails, bridleways, or unofficial MTB trails.

Yep if anything the more built nature of the coillte trails makes it more obvious that it's an mtb trail . For unofficial natural trails theres nothing to be said anyway..
    Regarding upper metro, I'm not surprised that it's being worked on. For an official trail it's quite chunky, some parts are quite easy to go otb.. and it's best tackled at speed. So I'd say it's easily the toughest trail that coillte have and given our claims culture not surprising they'd want to tame it a bit. As for other trails off it, some of those will ultimately be under the ownership of GAP soon as they are buying some of that land. Not sure if upper metro has to go through that land actually so that may be a part of the current works

Gerry wrote: »
    Yep if anything the more built nature of the coillte trails makes it more obvious that it's an mtb trail . For unofficial natural trails theres nothing to be said anyway..
    Regarding upper metro, I'm not surprised that it's being worked on. For an official trail it's quite chunky, some parts are quite easy to go otb.. and it's best tackled at speed. So I'd say it's easily the toughest trail that coillte have and given our claims culture not surprising they'd want to tame it a bit. As for other trails off it, some of those will ultimately be under the ownership of GAP soon as they are buying some of that land. Not sure if upper metro has to go through that land actually so that may be a part of the current works

I’ve heard of a few people who pollaxed themselves at ticknock and it was their first time ever mtb’ing so makes sense I guess to make some of the main trails easier. One of my regular detours has been blocked too so I might have to manufacture a More subtle new one...

I’ve been noticing a few trails that people are making more obvious too, cruagh, crone etc. The more obvious a trail is the more likely someone will block it! Don’t be cutting branches away people just so the first drop in is a bit easier

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I’ve heard of a few people who pollaxed themselves at ticknock and it was their first time ever mtb’ing so makes sense I guess to make some of the main trails easier. One of my regular detours has been blocked too so I might have to manufacture a More subtle new one...

I’ve been noticing a few trails that people are making more obvious too, cruagh, crone etc. The more obvious a trail is the more likely someone will block it! Don’t be cutting branches away people just so the first drop in is a bit easier

we ve realised this the hard way. we try make our first drop in almost impossible for riders now, it generally scares most away, and makes it a lot of fun for us, but in saying that, we ve also gone too far also, almost causing some serious crashes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

A lot of people living in the housing developments at the bottom of Ticknock Hill. There were several mountain bikers and runners in my block who would head up there a few times a week. Moved a couple of months back and miss having the trails on my doorstep.

• Advertisement

There one or two drops ins I used walk in, partly an age thing mostly and bad experiences of being out of action for a while

I was around ticknock earlier today, saw a lad trail building on a main walking route, said nothing but is just going to accelerate action by coillte to block more trails imo

Advertisement