Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirtbike trail use legality’s

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So your recommendation for off-road riding is.. roads. OK.

Life ain't always empty.

galwaytt wrote: »
    First off, as taxpayers, motorcyclists are entitled to no less consideration or accommodating than any MTB user, including on State lands. If MTB-ers can use them, so can motorcyclists.

What nonsense is this?

It's saying that if Coillte are open to allowing their trails to be used by mountain bike cyclists, they should be open to allowing them to be used by trail bike motorcyclists

But your prejudice is noted.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's saying that if Coillte are open to allowing their trails to be used by mountain bike cyclists, they should be open to allowing them to be used by trail bike motorcyclists

I don't think coillte are open to allowing mtbs use their land other than at designated trail centres although it does go on in almost every forest and they turn a blind eye. Other than both being preferably used off road there's no real comparison between a mtb and a mx bike or at least one is certainly a lot less annoying to the non user than the other which is annoying as fook to all but the user.

It would be great if the government started to invest in the outdoors more here and try to reclaim some of the land and forests to reuse for specific sports such as they have done with the mtb trail centres.

To the original poster up and around Nephin is pretty remote but you'll probably come across walkers almost everywhere and you'll be constantly crossing barriers and coming across fences.

It's nonsense. "As taxpayers" for one. Then there's the idea that one equals the other because well, they both have 2 wheels.

Sure why not go the next stage, if they allow dirt bikes, then buggy's, if buggy's why not 4x4s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

It's nonsense. "As taxpayers" for one. Then there's the idea that one equals the other because well, they both have 2 wheels.

Sure why not go the next stage, if they allow dirt bikes, then buggy's, if buggy's why not 4x4s?

They do let 4x4's go offroad, Leinster offroad club have the use of approx 4000 acres in Wexford/Wicklow area. If coillte can give them permission, we not off road motorcycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Seeing as 'taxpayers' fund everything, then it's entirely relevant.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

They do let 4x4's go offroad, Leinster offroad club have the use of approx 4000 acres in Wexford/Wicklow area. If coillte can give them permission, we not off road motorcycles.

I believe there's a license agreement there and it's only for day/multi day use for events it's not an ongoing arrangement. I'm open to correction but they also have to provide some form of insurance.

In an agreed place, not the bloody Wicklow way! As I'm sure you know well was the point considering the person I replied to wants open access to all coilte lands.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    Seeing as 'taxpayers' fund everything, then it's entirely relevant.

It's a nonsense. Your tax doesn't cover everything that tax pays for nor is it the reasoning behind access being denied. I like camping but that doesn't mean I can just meander into every single area that hikers can.

the person I replied to wants open access to all coilte lands.

But that's not what they said. You are resorting to creating a strawman to attack.
    Your tax doesn't cover everything that tax pays for

Utter nonsense. There are plenty of things I'd rather my taxes didn't pay for, but it all comes out of the same pot.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    As I side note is there anywhere near Bray area within a reasonable drive that I can take my CBX off road?

There is offroad and there is gravel roads? I assume you mean the latter.
    I wouldn't fancy taking a CBX through mud and slime, it would be a lot of weight to handle even with serious knobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Matthew.S

Where the f*ck can I ride a dirt bike in Ireland and dong say my own land because I have very little and don’t say tracks intended for dirt bikes because they are motor cross tracks! I want to trail ride! Like srsly where can I ride my dirt bike if I don’t want to motor cross? I live in Roscommon can anybody recommend a place to ride near me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I pay my taxes why can't I have this:pac::pac:!!

Matthew.S wrote: »
    Where the f*ck can I ride a dirt bike in Ireland and dong say my own land because I have very little and don’t say tracks intended for dirt bikes because they are motor cross tracks! I want to trail ride! Like srsly where can I ride my dirt bike if I don’t want to motor cross? I live in Roscommon can anybody recommend a place to ride near me?

There's no public investment in land/trails designed for motorbikes so officially there is no where public you can do what you have in mind. It would require significant investment to purchase lands and then develop these lands for specific use as has been done with the mtb trail centres and they've been pushing for that for years.

you could google disused quarries in your area and you might get your fix there but they're typically full of MX bikes as opposed to the trail type bumbling you probably have in mind.

If it's road legal you could always look at the TET and some of the UK bridleways. There my be some in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭chrabo

I try to get some land or permission from meath council. No way they will do it, for them all dirtbikes riders are idiots. You cant rent an land as well, as there is no way to get insurance, and even with it, landlord will not be fully covered. You need to find few places, old bogs, quarry or anything will do for You. Watch if there is any dog walkers etc. I have spot like this, it is for weekends where is no trackdays, so i can go with my kid and do some practice or just for fun. Other option is, go to north, and have tracks and stuff all day long, seems there is no hassle.

Advertisement