Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a Room Eviction Ban

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    He was served verbal notice long before the eviction ban with an agreed exit date of 1st april. As soon as the eviction ban was announced he said he wasn't leaving anymore, i sent him a watsapp message to have on record his exit date but it was too late. In the meantime they amended the bill extending the eviction ban to all dwellings and on top of that they announced the lock down. Impossible to kick him out now
    The problem i have with him is that he still goes to work every night, using public transports and possibly not being in a position to apply social distancing in the work place - he is not a nurse - and i honestly don't feel safe in my house anymore and i think i have the right to protect my health, this is not about money

According to some the property and rental market has crashed and rents are plummeting. Your tenant should have no problem finding a short term let. I would kick him out. You don’t want him in your property where you live so he has to leave. Whatever the reason you want him gone for you will fell more comfortable in your home if he is gone. Remember that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Are landlords showing their greed? Even in times like this? Money is important but people need to put their profit seeking aside for a short while until this is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

timhenn wrote: »
    Are landlords showing their greed? Even in times like this? Money is important but people need to put their profit seeking aside for a short while until this is sorted.

I have no doubt you are working for free at the moment, and not displaying greed by taking a wage from your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

garhjw wrote: »
    According to some the property and rental market has crashed and rents are plummeting. Your tenant should have no problem finding a short term let. I would kick him out. You don’t want him in your property where you live so he has to leave. Whatever the reason you want him gone for you will fell more comfortable in your home if he is gone. Remember that...

There are plenty of rooms available but with the new bill i lost my right to evict him, simple as that

DubCount wrote: »
    I have no doubt you are working for free at the moment, and not displaying greed by taking a wage from your employer.

Social welfare while it's closed down. No one said to work for free. Just don't be kicking people out on the streets at times like this. The amount of airbnbs that have gone up on daft is crazy. And I mean they are using daft as airbnb. Short term rents for individual rooms.

• Advertisement

Social welfare while it's closed down. No one said to work for free. Just don't be kicking people out on the streets at times like this. The amount of airbnbs that have gone up on daft is crazy. And I mean they are using daft as airbnb. Short term rents for individual rooms.

Accomodations are available, this is not about kicking people out in the streets. They can find other rooms in shared houses, prices are the same.
    Unfortunately the new bill allows some lodgers to take advantage and have an excuse to stay around someone's house
    it's shocking how a bill like this could pass considering how risky it is for some people to live in a share environment at the moment. A lot of house owners are left with no rights overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Would you cop on? How is someone renting a room in their own house showing greed?

Just check thread on here where the people refused to clean etc so putting the person at risk

Is that what you call greed?

I have yet to see any stories of landlords throwing anyone out, loads of people mentioned to me
    Landlord reducing etc so they can keep good tenants

As I said already, this is only protecting the waster tenant and giving them more rights, scree the landlord,

Accomodations are available, this is not about kicking people out in the streets. They can find other rooms in shared houses, prices are the same.
    Unfortunately the new bill allows some lodgers to take advantage and have an excuse to stay around someone's house
    it's shocking how a bill like this could pass considering how risky it is for some people to live in a share environment at the moment. A lot of house owners are left with no rights overnight

Have you looked up daft? A lot of places have come available put short term only! Also, there are still many shared room places available, not cheap either! You should be directing your anger at these types of greedy landlords.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Would you cop on? How is someone renting a room in their own house showing greed?

Just check thread on here where the people refused to clean etc so putting the person at risk

Is that what you call greed?

I have yet to see any stories of landlords throwing anyone out, loads of people mentioned to me
    Landlord reducing etc so they can keep good tenants

As I said already, this is only protecting the waster tenant and giving them more rights, scree the landlord,

Have a look at daft and then come back to me. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

He was served verbal notice long before the eviction ban with an agreed exit date of 1st april. As soon as the eviction ban was announced he said he wasn't leaving anymore, i sent him a watsapp message to have on record his exit date but it was too late. In the meantime they amended the bill extending the eviction ban to all dwellings and on top of that they announced the lock down. Impossible to kick him out now
    The problem i have with him is that he still goes to work every night, using public transports and possibly not being in a position to apply social distancing in the work place - he is not a nurse - and i honestly don't feel safe in my house anymore and i think i have the right to protect my health, this is not about money

Don’t bother speaking to citizens advice. Spend a small bit on a consultation with your solicitor, they’ll confirm what you’ve been told here re: this not applying to private residences where the owner also lives. Then on April 1st you can simply change the locks.

• Advertisement

Have a look at daft and then come back to me. Cheers.

I don’t have to....

Have you looked up daft? A lot of places have come available put short term only! Also, there are still many shared room places available, not cheap either! You should be directing your anger at these types of greedy landlords.

I'm on Daft right now, there are pages and pages of rooms available in shared accommodation for +1 year, let alone that most lodgers are ok with 4-6 months
    There is not an accommodation issue at the moment, in fact it's the opposite, things haven't looked this good for renters in a long time

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I don’t have to....

So you know of the greed of certain landlords. Why are you denying it then?

So you know of the greed of certain landlords. Why are you denying it then?

Why did you come on this thread spouting your anti landlord bitterness? OP is in a tough situation and all you can do is whine.

I'm on Daft right now, there are pages and pages of rooms available in shared accommodation for +1 year, let alone that most lodgers are ok with 4-6 months
    There is not an accommodation issue at the moment, in fact it's the opposite, things haven't looked this good for renters in a long time

For how much? What price are you talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You're the one who extended the notice for this lodger. You've effectively shot yourself in the foot on this one. I understand your fears but you could have avoided all of this stress.

garhjw wrote: »
    Why did you come on this thread spouting your anti landlord bitterness? OP is in a tough situation and all you can do is whine.

Sympathy to the op. It's important that anti tenant sentiment doesn't set in, however. It's a difficult enough time as it is.

For how much? What price are you talking?

I'm charging him 600 including bills for a double
    I'm seeing anything from 450 to 850 at the moment. Single to double, worst case he can take a single room if really this is an emergency

I'm charging him 600 including bills for a double
    I'm seeing anything from 450 to 850 at the moment. Single to double, worst case he can take a single room if really this is an emergency

600 isn't cheap. A single room for how much? In what area? Far from his work?

Time wrote: »
    Don’t bother speaking to citizens advice. Spend a small bit on a consultation with your solicitor, they’ll confirm what you’ve been told here re: this not applying to private residences where the owner also lives. Then on April 1st you can simply change the locks.

I'll take your advise, you seem to know what you are talking about
    I'm getting conflicting advise from friends about this, i hope there are no legal consequences for changing the lock in case he isn't moving

• Advertisement

600 isn't cheap. A single room for how much? In what area? Far from his work?

600 for a double is pretty standard in D15, I cover all bills and cleaning
    It sounds like you are the one who hasn't' been on Daft

Caranica wrote: »
    You're the one who extended the notice for this lodger. You've effectively shot yourself in the foot on this one. I understand your fears but you could have avoided all of this stress.

Fair enough, he said he was having trouble finding another room, i said ok to stay longer on the ground that he would definitely move on 1st April. He said that worst case he was going to move back in with his family for a few weeks, they live in the same estate, i know them personally. It didn't sound like a big deal

But i don't think they are going to have him, that's why he is playing this game now

600 for a double is pretty standard in D15, I cover all bills and cleaning
    It sounds like you are the one who hasn't' been on Daft

I didn't say 600 was off standard, I said it wasn't cheap and you've proved my point. You said "things haven't looked this good for renters in a long time", prices are still ridiculous. 600 for a room in D15 is crazy. Landlords have been gouging tenants and nothing has changed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Timhenn, if you want to have a general moan about rents, landlords or tenants please take it somewhere else rather than dragging this thread further off topic.

<SNIP>

I didn't say 600 was off standard, I said it wasn't cheap and you've proved my point. You said "things haven't looked this good for renters in a long time", prices are still ridiculous. 600 for a room in D15 is crazy. Landlords have been gouging tenants and nothing has changed.

600 euro with bills is hardly crazy

That will include, electricity, bins, heating, property tax, tv licences and probably the tv itself....

Put all of this together and the bills dont long add up. Going back to early 2000's and it was circa 350-400 at least for a double room without bills in the D15 area. I know because I rented plenty of properties around that time in D15. Plus price of all of the above have increased substantially in that time frame.

Maybe if you want to comment, at least know what you are talking about

This is just another kick in the teeth for the diminishing landlord/landlady community. At the same time you have people moaning about property been sold to vulture funds and big companies for renting. Well this is the reason why.

Tenant should be fighting against this, not the landlord. It is just going to drive the cost up higher and reduce the options more

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Another way of looking at how ridiculous and unworkable this thing would be, if it did apply to licensees, is that they have no rights to the home owner's possessions e.g., oven, fridge, sink, toilet, bed, wardrobe, etc., the home owner simply allows the licensee to use them. The homeowner lets the licensee use these at their discretion. No one can stop the homeowner from entering the room they are allowing the tenant to use (and of course it is not permitted for this door to be locked) at any time. Of course out of basic decency this would usually never be an issue but basic decency goes out the window as soon as the lodger crosses the line.

Also, what if the homeowner feels uncomfortable or threatened?

Anyway, the important point is that what the OP described is not an eviction or a tenancy. This is very important to be clear on. It's telling a paying "guest" to get out of the house.
    Notwithstanding any of the provisions in this section, all proposed evictions in all tenancies in the State

Clear, reasonable notice has been given and I'd have their possessions outside the front door and the locks changed the next time they leave the house after the notified date to leave (in fact I'd walk them out the door at the time I'd fairly stated if I was getting trouble from someone, but I'm understanding this wouldn't be something that everyone is physically or otherwise capable of).

OP, change the locks if they're not gone and seek legal advice if that makes you feel better about it. You're hardly going to keep living like this and have someone bully you in your own home, telling you what's what.

And please let us know how you get on. All of the best.

Quick update for those who's been following the saga
    He packed up everything, bags are sitting in the hall, all set up and ready to move out tomorrow!
    Seems like he's moving back in with family after all

And thanks everybody for the advise!

• Advertisement

Quick update for those who's been following the saga
    He packed up everything, bags are sitting in the hall, all set up and ready to move out tomorrow!
    Seems like he's moving back in with family after all

And thanks everybody for the advise!

Glad it worked out for you. It must be a big relief.

Advertisement