Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rahoon Cemetery filling up

Options
  • 27-03-2020 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭

Was in Rahoon Cemetery recently and was struck by how much it has filled up since the last time I was there. I was really taken aback. There were diggers making way for another small section but after that it will be full. There is yet another part behind a wall but again that is not very big either.

The cemetery is very well maintained I have to say with fresh tarmac laid down.

I was looking for someone I knew who passed away a few months ago but was disappointed not to be able to find the grave.

But I was reminded of Clarinbridge Cemetery and what a lovely place that is. Once you enter there just past the gates is quite an legend outlining where each grave is. It is pretty straightforward as it is in alphabetical order and is updated frequently enough. So why can't Rahoon do the same?

The city council has some online facility to request information on graves once you know the name and date of death. But I am surprised that the it does not seem to have a simple link that you can click and browse yourself. It is not a huge technological issue I am sure? As it is it seems almost like you are asking permission to access information which should be freely available with one or two clicks.

I was also shocked and saddened to see the grave of a local businessman that I knew whose death I hadn't known about. And I was saddened to see some graves with unopened beer cans left on them as some sort of tribute to the deceased.

I understand there has been a long struggle, (ten years? ) to access new land for a new cemetery. Of course trying to get things done in the city takes an inordinate amount of time as we all know to our cost but I believe we have only about four more years before Rahoon is full.

Comments

A new one has been approved due to the covid outbreak and will be rushed into service asap

No idea where it is though or how big it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Theres people dying now that never died before. Tis dreadful.

Advertisement