Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax discount 30 Sterling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

You can't really "split" satellite signals (you can sort of get half them on the same channel e.g. horizontal/vertical but someone can explain that more).

You could, as I did, get a quad LNB (instead of your possible dual lnb) and take 2 extra cables from the 2 new points on your dish directly into the 2 bedrooms giving you absolutely independent satellite signals for 2 new boxes in those rooms. (the reason for the dual lnb on the sky allows reception of channel and record a different channel at same time - if getting rid of sky and you don't need this function, you could drop that 2nd line directly into one bedroom without replacing the LNB at all).

Yes quad lnb

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You can't really "split" satellite signals (you can sort of get half them on the same channel e.g. horizontal/vertical but someone can explain that more).

You could, as I did, get a quad LNB (instead of your possible dual lnb) and take 2 extra cables from the 2 new points on your dish directly into the 2 bedrooms giving you absolutely independent satellite signals for 2 new boxes in those rooms. (the reason for the dual lnb on the sky allows reception of channel and record a different channel at same time - if getting rid of sky and you don't need this function, you could drop that 2nd line directly into one bedroom without replacing the LNB at all).

Cheers a quad LNB sounds like a good solution, hadnt known they existed. But is there such thing as a tv that contains the satellite decoder inside it (thought I had heard this before?) The two tvs for the bedrooms are going on the walls where theres no space for a box, I dont need the ability to record or pause from these, just to watch the freesat feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Cheers a quad LNB sounds like a good solution, hadnt known they existed. But is there such thing as a tv that contains the satellite decoder inside it (thought I had heard this before?) The two tvs for the bedrooms are going on the walls where theres no space for a box, I dont need the ability to record or pause from these, just to watch the freesat feed.

you can get 6LNB or even 8LNB.

https://www.freesat.ie/catalog/category/view/s/sky-lnbs/id/140/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Yes, many TVs have a satellite input (but normally just one feed for watching).

Even budget tv's e.g. https://powercity.ie/product/219566

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sound, that looks like just the trick I need. Do you know if they can output both freesat and Saorview on the one EPG or do you have to switch between feeds/modes?

• Advertisement

Sound, that looks like just the trick I need. Do you know if they can output both freesat and Saorview on the one EPG or do you have to switch between feeds/modes?[/quote
    Switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sound, that looks like just the trick I need. Do you know if they can output both freesat and Saorview on the one EPG or do you have to switch between feeds/modes?

It's only LG & Samsung that offer Freesat branded TV's with 7-day EPG. You'll have to switch between inputs, though LG"s are considerably less clunky and convoluted

Yamanoto wrote: »
    It's only LG & Samsung that offer Freesat branded TV's with 7-day EPG. You'll have to switch between inputs, though LG"s are considerably less clunky and convoluted

Samsung's 4k are tops- richer sounds + 6 years warranty,on here aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Belfast wrote: »

Humax finds more channels? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

I have a recent Samsung and it has a great picture but its one downfall is the Freesat EPG for recording tv shows. It's completely unreliable. I'd be lost without iplayer and the various hubs to watch stuff I missed.

Terminator wrote: »
    I have a recent Samsung and it has a great picture but its one downfall is the Freesat EPG for recording tv shows. It's completely unreliable. I'd be lost without iplayer and the various hubs to watch stuff I missed.
    Haven't got that,I use my Humax box for all that,find my Samsung (2018/19) tops

I sent back my sky Q box yesterday.
    I am using my Sony Bravia KD-49XG8196 connected to the sataltine dish and saorfree aerial.
    I have an external hd that can record on programme at a time.
    I might get the new FREESAT UHD-4X Smart 4K Ultra HD Digital TV Recorder later.
    I not sure there will be much to watch on TV any time soon and I need to focus on find a Job as myt careers allowance stops near the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

I installed a 49" LG TV for mother last Christmas and switching between the saorview and freesat was a bit awkward for her having to go through the menus.

I found a quick way around it. You can save any channel you want on the 1 - 9 buttons. I saved most of the saorview channels on 1 - 6 and bbc 1 & 2 and utv on 7 - 9.

When she is on a saorview channel a long press on 7, 8 or 9 switches over to the freesat channels and a long press on 1 - 6 switches back. It made the TV a lot easier to use for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    I installed a 49" LG TV for mother last Christmas and switching between the saorview and freesat was a bit awkward for her having to go through the menus.

I found a quick way around it. You can save any channel you want on the 1 - 9 buttons. I saved most of the saorview channels on 1 - 6 and bbc 1 & 2 and utv on 7 - 9.

When she is on a saorview channel a long press on 7, 8 or 9 switches over to the freesat channels and a long press on 1 - 6 switches back. It made the TV a lot easier to use for her.

Didn't know that, great that it simplifies the process for her.

You can also group Freesat & Saorview channels together as favourites. So one press of the home button on the remote and you can then toggle across both Sat & Terrestrial channels displaying side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

Didn't know that, great that it simplifies the process for her.

You can also group Freesat & Saorview channels together as favourites. So one press of the home button on the remote and you can then toggle across both Sat & Terrestrial channels displaying side by side.

I tried that but when I showed her the long press on the number buttons she just stuck with that. She has been used to using sky and virgin medias setup and didn't like the set up on the LG.

Happy enough with it now, it's all about what you get used to

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

I've an LG thats about 3 years old.
    I had intended to buy a proper Enigma satellite combo box but just never got round to it.
    I've been using the saorview and freesat feeds in the meantime. Generally its pretty good.
    I have a fast external HD drive plugged in to allow recording.

Just wondering if ye see any of the oddness that I see with the TV tho:

1- The TV reboots itself now and then and screws up the HD so I have to plug it in to a windows pc and repair it.
    2- Channel changing is really slow.
    3- The TV forgets the long settings for the number buttons now and then. (Thats really annoying.)

Oh and just in case.. Do you know about setting the freesat up as a UK location to get the full EPG?
    I got that advice on a forum here on boards and twas very helpful.

vidapura wrote: »
    I've an LG thats about 3 years old.
    I had intended to buy a proper Enigma satellite combo box but just never got round to it.
    I've been using the saorview and freesat feeds in the meantime. Generally its pretty good.
    I have a fast external HD drive plugged in to allow recording.

Just wondering if ye see any of the oddness that I see with the TV tho:

1- The TV reboots itself now and then and screws up the HD so I have to plug it in to a windows pc and repair it.
    2- Channel changing is really slow.
    3- The TV forgets the long settings for the number buttons now and then. (Thats really annoying.)

Oh and just in case.. Do you know about setting the freesat up as a UK location to get the full EPG?
    I got that advice on a forum here on boards and twas very helpful.

External hard drive is slowing it down

Advertisement