Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science PEEHS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

In thanks, will post answers now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Can you rephrase question 10? What does it mean? Sounds like cannibalism.

I answered Americans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

PM/Postcard sent. Great PEEHS altogether.

Have recently re-read Bill Bryson's "A Short History" and "The Body" so I'm riding the high of Bill's wacky and arcane research :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

PM/Postcard sent. Great PEEHS altogether.

Have recently re-read Bill Bryson's "A Short History" and "The Body" so I'm riding the high of Bill's wacky and arcane research :)
    I listened to the body on audible in the car and I found myself willing there to be traffic on commutes. I enjoyed I so much that I bought a real copy so I can highlight the interesting bits.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

It's on my to read list. I love his non-travel books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We are up to 27 entries!!

Hello 2D Person Below
    Necro
    Ted_YNWA
    Homer J Fong
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    sKeith
    Gru
    Zaph
    Rikand
    Strawberry Milkshake
    Baggly
    bolgbui41
    Electric Nitwit
    quickbeam
    lassykk
    bubblypop
    Green&Red
    ShaneU
    Spook_ie
    sammyjo90
    Sheridan81
    Niska
    Skippy44
    Three More Big Sleeps
    conor222
    sullivlo
    Barney92

sullivlo wrote: »
    I listened to the body on audible in the car and I found myself willing there to be traffic on commutes. I enjoyed I so much that I bought a real copy so I can highlight the interesting bits.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    It's on my to read list. I love his non-travel books.

I love his books too, but the only (minor) criticism I have of this book is that it seems to have been written to a template. X amount of chapters, each about 15 pages long, like it was targeted so people would sit and read a chapter a day, maybe his publishers were targeting a new market of readers or something. Normally when he writes there isn't such a rigid structure and he goes off on all sorts of tangents which are great. It's still a very good book, but I preferred 'A Short History...'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I love his books too, but the only (minor) criticism I have of this book is that it seems to have been written to a template. X amount of chapters, each about 15 pages long, like it was targeted so people would sit and read a chapter a day, maybe his publishers were targeting a new market of readers or something. Normally when he writes there isn't such a rigid structure and he goes off on all sorts of tangents which are great. It's still a very good book, but I preferred 'A Short History...'
    Yes. I agree.

I also thought that some of what was written was a bit biased or skewed towards a particular view. I also thought that a lot of it was quite basic, but then I reminded myself that I have a PhD in biology, which focused on digestion and breast milk, and that I worked as am immunologist for 4 years :D

I recommended it to some of my more "think outside the box" students and the ones who enjoy biology. I think it could be an amazing resource for TY biology as it skirts the LC syllabus, without going too technical on it, but is also interesting to a layperson (or one who only chose biology in TY because of the way things were banded).

Yes. I agree.

I also thought that some of what was written was a bit biased or skewed towards a particular view. I also thought that a lot of it was quite basic, but then I reminded myself that I have a PhD in biology, which focused on digestion and breast milk, and that I worked as am immunologist for 4 years :D

I recommended it to some of my more "think outside the box" students and the ones who enjoy biology. I think it could be an amazing resource for TY biology as it skirts the LC syllabus, without going too technical on it, but is also interesting to a layperson (or one who only chose biology in TY because of the way things were banded).

I'd agree with all of that, I'm a science teacher too (no PhD though). He hasn't really presented as much of a biased view in previous books.

I'd agree with all of that, I'm a science teacher too (no PhD though). He hasn't really presented as much of a biased view in previous books.
    How are you finding distance learning? I'm mainly maths this year - only have 2 JC science classes (2nd and 3rd) so relying on youtube/quizizz etc for them... Maths I'm recording myself doing sums and emailing them videos. What else can we do?!

• Advertisement

How are you finding distance learning? I'm mainly maths this year - only have 2 JC science classes (2nd and 3rd) so relying on youtube/quizizz etc for them... Maths I'm recording myself doing sums and emailing them videos. What else can we do?!

I have LC Physics and Ag Science, and JC Science and Maths. I'm recording videos with voiceovers of myself doing the maths and posting it on Teams. Recording audio files for the theory end of things that they can follow in their books and for experiments I'm trying to find them on youtube where possible so they can see what they should have done in class. It's about all we can do.

I don't mind working like this but would prefer to be in the classroom. The creating and uploading videos etc is very time consuming. That would be the main downside and being glued to a laptop all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

... so people would sit and read a chapter a day...

Yikes, I read it in one sitting :) My version of binge-watching, I guess.
    ... but I preferred 'A Short History...'

Me too. At risk of derailing your very own thread, the chapter "Getting The Lead Out" is a fascinating insight into industrial chemist Thomas Midgley Jr's ignoble discovery of not only leaded petrol but also Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), arguably the 20th century's worst discoveries.

Shout-out too, to the little-known Clair Patterson, the first person to calculate the definitive age of our planet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clair_Cameron_Patterson

I love popular science :) Right, back to PEEHS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

sent mine in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I entered.
    You'll know by my answers that I definitely didn't cheat :D

To thine own self be true

We are now up to 31 entries!

Hello 2D Person Below
    Necro
    Ted_YNWA
    Homer J Fong
    sKeith
    Gru
    Zaph
    Rikand
    Strawberry Milkshake
    Baggly
    bolgbui41
    Electric Nitwit
    quickbeam
    lassykk
    bubblypop
    Green&Red
    ShaneU
    Spook_ie
    sammyjo90
    Sheridan81
    Niska
    Skippy44
    Three More Big Sleeps
    conor222
    sullivlo
    Barney92
    yozico
    aspiewriter
    spacetweek
    Purple Mountain

I am going to close entries for this tomorrow at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

In, if it all goes wrong I can blame my leaving cert physics teacher from 13 years ago right? :D

In, if it all goes wrong I can blame my leaving cert physics teacher from 13 years ago right? :D

Of course.... Peehs should be on the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Of course.... Peehs should be on the Leaving Cert.

Negative marking was bad enough in college, would be harsh on LC

OMG, I haven't done science since my inter cert in 1990!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

bubblypop wrote: »
    OMG, I haven't done science since my inter cert in 1990!!!

Well I haven't done any since some pretty dodgy chemistry for my Leaving in 1984. How I even got a D in that remains one of life's great mysteries.

• Advertisement

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Negative marking was bad enough in college, would be harsh on LC

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

It would make college entry far more interesting though!

Right entries are now closed!!!

Hello 2D Person Below
    Necro
    Ted_YNWA
    Homer J Fong
    sKeith
    Gru
    Zaph
    Rikand
    Strawberry Milkshake
    Baggly
    bolgbui41
    Electric Nitwit
    quickbeam
    lassykk
    bubblypop
    Green&Red
    ShaneU
    Spook_ie
    sammyjo90
    Sheridan81
    Niska
    Skippy44
    Three More Big Sleeps
    conor222
    sullivlo
    Barney92
    yozico
    aspiewriter
    spacetweek
    Purple Mountain
    mustangshelly
    davetherave
    Local_Chap

We have 34 entries. I will run this game tomorrow evening. Stay tuned!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Well I missed this one by a hair's breadth...possibly for the best, my dignity can remain intact :D

Reveal Thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112956923#post112956923

Can a mod close this thread please?

Reveal Thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112956923#post112956923

Can a mod close this thread please?
    Done

Advertisement