Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sale contract signed

Options
  • 23-03-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Myself and my brother are selling a house and have a contract signed by both parties. Can the people buying the house back out because of whats happening at the moment. I know they were loan approved etc and the closing date is 3 weeks.
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well they can decide not to proceed but they will lose their deposit at a minimum.

This coronavirus is not grounds to set aside the contract. Legally they are obliged to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

blowin3 wrote: »
    Myself and my brother are selling a house and have a contract signed by both parties. Can the people buying the house back out because of whats happening at the moment. I know they were loan approved etc and the closing date is 3 weeks.
    Thanks for your help

They may be close to their loan offer lapsing and then have to reapply and just tell the bank one of their jobs or both jobs are no longer secure in the current climate. Most solicitors will put a clause in that it goes through under the provision of getting the mortgage so there is still a way out for them

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

Well they can decide not to proceed but they will lose their deposit at a minimum.

This coronavirus is not grounds to set aside the contract. Legally they are obliged to complete.

It's outlined here. British law , but same principles here I would think.

https://www.russell-cooke.co.uk/failuretocompletepurchase/

So did you ask for a discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,565 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

fliball123 wrote: »
    They may be close to their loan offer lapsing and then have to reapply and just tell the bank one of their jobs or both jobs are no longer secure in the current climate. Most solicitors will put a clause in that it goes through under the provision of getting the mortgage so there is still a way out for them
    Thats an interesting if nefarious "out"

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Thats an interesting if nefarious "out"

How is it nefarious are you saying that we are not living in unprecedented times and unless you have a public sector job, your job is at risk and would it not be prudent to tell the bank this if you have to reapply for your mortgage.

It's nefarious if you use it without grounds.
    Many people (especially those buying houses) will not be affected by this.
    Of course, some industries (esp non essential retail, travel etc) will be affected

Of course, some industries (esp non essential retail, travel etc) will be affected

Already 350k people are affected as in they lost their jobs. Anyone in the private sector in now not as secure as it was. So there is grounds for anyone working in the private sector nothing nefarious to tell the bank that your job is no long secure. In fact it would be a silly idea to proceed if you had this option

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭listermint

On what basis did you make that assertion

The amount of people who are continuing to work as normal, but from home.
    It's like the '08 downturn. Some jobs were unstable and some were less so, based on the type of work. Retail workers in Tesco, Lidl etc are not going to lose their jobs because of this. Someone who is a flight attendant or runs an OTA for instance, would be a lot more likely to be affected.

Some professions (risk analysis, data modelling and data science, retail demand modelling, perhaps stock market related etc) may actually gain in numbers due to this. We're stepping up hiring experienced credit risk folks due to this crisis, for instance.

• Advertisement

It's like the '08 downturn. Some jobs were unstable and some were less so, based on the type of work. Retail workers in Tesco, Lidl etc are not going to lose their jobs because of this. Someone who is a flight attendant or runs an OTA for instance, would be a lot more likely to be affected.

Some professions (risk analysis, data modelling and data science, retail demand modelling, perhaps stock market related etc) may actually gain in numbers due to this. We're stepping up hiring experienced credit risk folks due to this crisis, for instance.

AND?? So tell me what has that got to do with a single transaction that in law was signed under the provision that the buyer gets approved for a mortgage and with the current pandemic going on which could last anywhere up to 2 years a large majority of workers will have either no job, or a cut in wage for doing the job or a job that is no longer secure as it was. Do you not think it is prudent to tell the bank this information when reapplying for the mortgage or do you think they should just lie to the bank and get mortgage and hope that their job stays in tact with out losing or a paycut in the next 2 years.

AND?? So tell me what has that got to do with a single transaction that in law was signed under the provision that the buyer gets approved for a mortgage and with the current pandemic going on which could last anywhere up to 2 years a large majority of workers will have either no job, or a cut in wage for doing the job or a job that is no longer secure as it was. Do you not think it is prudent to tell the bank this information when reapplying for the mortgage or do you think they should just lie to the bank and get mortgage and hope that their job stays in tact with out losing or a paycut in the next 2 years.
    I think they are under no obligation to do either. Certainly no one needs to lie to the bank.

If they are approved then they are approved and if the banks underwriters are happy to continue in the current climate then I don't see why you need to "tell the bank" anything. I'm sure the bank are all aware of the current pandemic!

I think they are under no obligation to do either. Certainly no one needs to lie to the bank.

If they are approved then they are approved and if the banks underwriters are happy to continue in the current climate then I don't see why you need to "tell the bank" anything. I'm sure the bank are all aware of the current pandemic!

So don't bring up the fact that your job is no longer as secure as it once was anyway we arguing over something else.

The OP was asking if the buyer could get out of the deal after the contracts were signed and I simply highlighted an out where if the buyer was close to their loan offer expiring they could let it expire and reapply and tell the bank that their job was no longer secure and basically ensure no mortgage approval and that most solicitors insist that you put in a "on the provision of getting mortgage approval" clause which may trump any contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im working from home, there is nothing to say our US market (our biggest one) wont get pulled from under us. There is too much stock in 'professions' job. Nothing in life is infallible tbh. So id urge people to consider that.

There is new normals being set here. And 2008 has no reference to it frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

kevinc565 wrote: »
    It's outlined here. British law , but same principles here I would think.

https://www.russell-cooke.co.uk/failuretocompletepurchase/

This is not Britain. This is ireland with different laws.

So don't bring up the fact that your job is no longer as secure as it once was anyway we arguing over something else.

The OP was asking if the buyer could get out of the deal after the contracts were signed and I simply highlighted an out where if the buyer was close to their loan offer expiring they could let it expire and reapply and tell the bank that their job was no longer secure and basically ensure no mortgage approval and that most solicitors insist that you put in a "on the provision of getting mortgage approval" clause which may trump any contract.

Approval in Principle (AIP)
    Choose house
    Loan Offer
    Sign contracts
    Mortgage drawdown
    Completion

All different.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They'd be mad NOT to pull out. Any loss of deposit would be more than compensated for by the expected 20% average drop in market prices, when they return after the crisis. If, of course, they retain their employment and by extension their financing etc.

Sorry dude.

I know, that's why i caveated it by stating it was a British page.

the same principles apply here.

basically, you don't automatically forfeit the deposit. you only forfeit what you've lost buy the buyer pulling out. if you lose nothing eg new buyer appears and buys for same price then all you've lost is some legal fees.

However that's unlikely, so what tends to happen is the seller drops the price ( has a loss) and send for a price roughy €x below the old asking price as he will still achieve the same overall price.

the other option is to sue the buyer to complete the sale, but if he doesn't have cash it's a waste of time.

To prevent endless comments picking holes in what I've said I chose to post a link to a more verbose article.

this is not legal advice. please consult a solicitor or legal professional.

I know, that's why i caveated it by stating it was a British page.

the same principles apply here.

basically, you don't automatically forfeit the deposit. you only forfeit what you've lost buy the buyer pulling out. if you lose nothing eg new buyer appears and buys for same price then all you've lost is some legal fees.

However that's unlikely, so what tends to happen is the seller drops the price ( has a loss) and send for a price roughy €x below the old asking price as he will still achieve the same overall price.

the other option is to sue the buyer to complete the sale, but if he doesn't have cash it's a waste of time.

To prevent endless comments picking holes in what I've said I chose to post a link to a more verbose article.

The deposit goes if the buyer pulls out at a minimum. The 1925 Law of Property Act does no apply in Ireland and never did. Loss of a purchase deposit is an exception to the rule about mitigating loss. There may be some wriggle room if the property is subject to loan or there is a technical issue such as planning which can be used.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod

1) OP Talk to Your Solicitor
    2) UK Law Does not apply here even if there may be similarities.
    3) Please don't give legal advice as per Boards.ie rules.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Mod

1) OP Talk to Your Solicitor
    2) UK Law Does not apply here even if there may be similarities.
    3) Please don't give legal advice as per Boards.ie rules.

not giving legal advice, have no legal background. just posting a link to give my thoughts to a question.

i know british law does't apply in ireland. i thought that was obvious. Hence the statement "British law , but same principles here I would think."

The deposit goes if the buyer pulls out at a minimum. The 1925 Law of Property Act does no apply in Ireland and never did. Loss of a purchase deposit is an exception to the rule about mitigating loss. There may be some wriggle room if the property is subject to loan or there is a technical issue such as planning which can be used.

i'm not so sure. the standard conditions which irish solicitors generally use appear to state otherwise.

eg

If the Purchaser shall fail in any material respect to comply with any of the Conditions, the Vendor
    (without prejudice to any rights or remedies available to him at law or in equity) shall be entitled to
    forfeit the deposit and to such purpose unilaterally to direct his solicitor or other stakeholder to release
    same to him AND the Vendor shall be at liberty (without being obliged to tender an Assurance) to
    resell the Subject Property, with or without notice to the Purchaser, either by public auction or private
    treaty. In the event of the Vendor re-selling the Subject Property within one year after the Closing Date
    (or within one year computed from the expiration of any period by which the closing may have been
    extended pursuant to General Condition 36) the deficiency (if any) arising on such re-sale and all costs
    and expenses attending the same or on any attempted re-sale shall (without prejudice to such damages to
    which the Vendor shall otherwise be entitled) be made good to the Vendor by the Purchaser, who shall be
    allowed credit against same for the deposit so forfeited. Any increase in price obtained by the Vendor on
    any sale, whenever effected, shall belong to the Vendor.

Source: https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/committees/conveyancing/precedents/2019/2019-conditions-of-sale.pdf

this is not legal advice, just a reprint and link of a website.
    please consult a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

In a case like this would you lose whatever deposit you have paid?

In a case like this would you lose whatever deposit you have paid?

no you wouldn't any solicitor worth his salt will put a clause in stating that the sale is on the basis of mortgage approval. So if the buyer cant get it the contract is null and void due to the clause. As I say it would only be the case if the buyer was close to their original mortgage approval expiring, If it expires the mortgage process has to start all over again

i'm not so sure. the standard conditions which irish solicitors generally use appear to state otherwise.

eg

If the Purchaser shall fail in any material respect to comply with any of the Conditions, the Vendor
    (without prejudice to any rights or remedies available to him at law or in equity) shall be entitled to
    forfeit the deposit and to such purpose unilaterally to direct his solicitor or other stakeholder to release
    same to him AND the Vendor shall be at liberty (without being obliged to tender an Assurance) to
    resell the Subject Property, with or without notice to the Purchaser, either by public auction or private
    treaty. In the event of the Vendor re-selling the Subject Property within one year after the Closing Date
    (or within one year computed from the expiration of any period by which the closing may have been
    extended pursuant to General Condition 36) the deficiency (if any) arising on such re-sale and all costs
    and expenses attending the same or on any attempted re-sale shall (without prejudice to such damages to
    which the Vendor shall otherwise be entitled) be made good to the Vendor by the Purchaser, who shall be
    allowed credit against same for the deposit so forfeited. Any increase in price obtained by the Vendor on
    any sale, whenever effected, shall belong to the Vendor.

Source: https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/committees/conveyancing/precedents/2019/2019-conditions-of-sale.pdf

this is not legal advice, just a reprint and link of a website.
    please consult a solicitor.

If you understood it, it means the deposit is gone at a minimum. Irish conveyancing law and British are very different and it is dangerous to assume the same principles apply.

no you wouldn't any solicitor worth his salt will put a clause in stating that the sale is on the basis of mortgage approval. So if the buyer cant get it the contract is null and void due to the clause.

Plenty of recent new builds where the vendor wouldn't accept such a clause.

Graham wrote: »
    Plenty of recent new builds where the vendor wouldn't accept such a clause.

I think anyone solicitor who is buying for a cilent and signed to buy a house and be at the mercy of the bank as in even if they give loan approval they could renege on giving the loan. For example say a bank was going under and had given mortgage approval and could no longer give the mortgage what happens? There is no way any solicitor worth there salt would leave a client open to such an outcome even if it is unlikely to happen. but isnt that what solicitors are for?

I think anyone solicitor who is buying for a cilent and signed to buy a house and be at the mercy of the bank as in even if they give loan approval they could renege on giving the loan. For example say a bank was going under and had given mortgage approval and could no longer give the mortgage what happens? There is no way any solicitor worth there salt would leave a client open to such an outcome even if it is unlikely to happen. but isnt that what solicitors are for?

The solicitor can only advise the client as to the consequences of signing. They cannot force the Vendor to accept such a clause.

The solicitor can only advise the client as to the consequences of signing. They cannot force the Vendor to accept such a clause.

That is true but you can be damn sure the solicitor for the buyer will include it from the sellers side thy automatically just accept that the buyer has mortgage approval and there wont be an issue..its a grey area

• Advertisement

There's no grey area.

If a vendor refuses to accept such a clause it is up to the purchaser whether they wish to proceed or not after considering the inevitable warning about the risks from their own solicitor.

Advertisement