Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue tax relief for working from home

Options
  • 20-03-2020 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

For those of us who are lucky enough to be able to work from home, there's a (small) tax relief from Revenue. Basically, if you are working from home and your employer does not pay you an allowance, you are entitled to claim tax relief on expenses relating to your work from home; such as electricity, heating, internet.

For example (and from my understanding as I'm no tax expert), say I pay €50 per month internet, €150 per 2 months for electricity, €100 per 2 months for gas. For 2 full months working from home, that's expenses of €350. I worked 43 of the 60 days in two months. I'm entitled to claim 43/60 of the expenses over those two months.

See below some further guidance. Hopefully some get use of it.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/e-working-and-home-workers/index.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

sternn wrote: »
    For those of us who are lucky enough to be able to work from home, there's a (small) tax relief from Revenue. Basically, if you are working from home and your employer does not pay you an allowance, you are entitled to claim tax relief on €3.20 per working day towards your expenses such as electricity, heating, internet.

So doing the maths, if working from home for 3 months (66 working days), it's almost €200 that you can claim relief on. It's small, but may as well put some money in your pocket.

See below some further guidance.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/e-working-and-home-workers/index.aspx

You are not entitled to claim 3.20 euro per day. The 3.20 per day is a payment your employer can make tax free to you for eworking. If they don't pay it you can look at claiming tax relief on a portion of the expenses you incurred for working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

You are not entitled to claim 3.20 euro per day. The 3.20 per day is a payment your employer can make tax free to you for eworking. If they don't pay it you can look at claiming tax relief on a portion of the expenses you incurred for working from home.

You are right, you can claim any reasonable expenses such as electricity / heating / internet etc.. not necessarily €3.20 as that's an employer limit.

Anyway, it's something small that people can claim given many people are being asked to work from home.

You are right, you can claim any reasonable expenses such as electricity / heating / internet etc.. not necessarily €3.20 as that's an employer limit.

Anyway, it's something small that people can claim given many people are being asked to work from home.

Definitely. I'd say there will be plenty of claims for this. Hopefully the process is streamlined a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

What's a reasonable claim for a PAYE worker?

Can I just claim 3.20 times days worked in my income tax return for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I would advise not wasting your time on this.

Firstly I think it is a yearly thing you can claim.

Secondly revenue don’t want to give it to us who work from home on a permanent basis.

I jumped through all their loops one year and got 90 euro, they determined that I was due 20% of electricity bill only.

Their is no public facing(and from what I gather revenue only facing) documentation on how this is calculated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

Is there something to be said for not putting a claim into this. Only a small amount of money I know (considerable for government if a lot of claims come in) but for the majority of people fortunate enough to still have employment and work from home then maybe we don’t need this. Of course a lot of people will be struggling still with partners losing jobs and reduced pay etc so best to claim then but if you are on same salary just working from home then revenue is better going somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I am self employed and was told by my accountant it's not worth the hassle claiming for bits of electric and internet household bills

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Looks like a lot of effort for not much reward

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-05/05-02-13.pdf

I wonder can you claim office furniture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭thebourke

where do you go for the work from home tax relief...
    i dont see it when i logged into revenue.ie

thebourke wrote: »
    where do you go for the work from home tax relief...
    i dont see it when i logged into revenue.ie

You are looking at credits you can claim during an active tax year (2020). You need to calim it for prior tax years in the manage my tax for (2016- 2019) by filing a tax return for the year you are claiming it for.

The instructions on what to do are on the Revenue website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

For those of us who are lucky enough to be able to work from home, there's a (small) tax relief from Revenue. Basically, if you are working from home and your employer does not pay you an allowance, you are entitled to claim tax relief on expenses relating to your work from home; such as electricity, heating, internet.

For example (and from my understanding as I'm no tax expert), say I pay €50 per month internet, €150 per 2 months for electricity, €100 per 2 months for gas. For 2 full months working from home, that's expenses of €350. I worked 43 of the 60 days in two months. I'm entitled to claim 43/60 of the expenses over those two months.

See below some further guidance. Hopefully some get use of it.

I went through all this with revenue last year and you have a lot correct but if you claim it yourself they will only give you a percentage if it.

Depending on the size of your house and how many people are in it, plus you must provide every invoice for them to inspect.

You would come out with about 10% of your claim.

A full year of working from home would of got me €80 to claim back.

The person in revenue even told me it's very small the amount people get back, more or less implied that it's not worth it.

If your employer will claim it and pass it on to you, they you could get the allowance of €3.20 per working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,128 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Are people really that strung out for a few quid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Dymo wrote: »
    If your employer will claim it and pass it on to you, they you could get the allowance of €3.20 per working day.

The employer doesn’t claim anything, they make an ex-gratia payment of €3.20 per day which is tax free. This payment is in addition to your wages and voluntary, so you can see why most employers don’t do it.

Advertisement