Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1's

• 19-03-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone,

I'm considering making a career change to Law.
    Seeking advice from anyone who has done so already or has always worked in Law as to whether I would be wise to make the leap or not!? Im looking for the good, the bad and the ugly truths!

If I go full steam ahead with the career move I'll be sitting 4 FE1's in October, and 4 in March.
    Can anybody recommend which 4 topics to sit together and which topics to separate between the two sittings?

All advice welcome!
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi LiketoKnow,

Welcome to Boards. The Legal Discussion forum may be a good place to start. There have been discussions in the past about FE1s so the Search function may be able to help you find these threads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

For anyone prepping for EU law at the moment, the Law Society European Law manual is a great resource.

I also have a manual from one of the prep courses and the Law Soc manual is a vastly superior product. It doesn't have absolutely everything that you need for the exam (the Law Soc manual was last updated in 2011) but it has a lot of the stuff and the explanations and writing and lay out is much better.

A qualified solicitor friend of mine recommended getting the Law Soc manual as she found the same thing when she was studying for her EU exam, and I have to agree.

By comparison the EU law manual from the prep school feels like it has been updated, edited and changed around ad hoc at various stages by various people - there are sections of it where a treaty article is referred to initially by its current article number but then half way down through the text without explanation or warning it starts referring to it by its number from an older treaty. There is also a lot of repetition in it, as in paragraphs containing multiple sentences saying essentially the same thing; not what you are looking for from something which is intended to be a study aid. There is a waft of academic writing off it (and I worked in a university for a couple of years), like making the text seem as erudite as possible take precedence over making it accessible. By comparison the Law Soc manual is a breeze.

Now the Law Soc manual costs EUR 70 (if I remember correctly) but in my experience it is money well spent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Law000

I have up to date manuals, sample answers, grids, qs and reports for all exams! I’ve yet to sit tort as it was cancelled but I’m happy to also send on copies off 2019/20 manual etc for that aswell! The prep courses are mad expensive and make an already expensive more difficult! PM me if you want stuff I can email them over to ye no problem ðŸ€

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭plee

Hi all. Law society have today published details of the August sitting for Tort and EU in August.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/News/News/Stories/august-sitting-of-the-fe-1-law-of-torts-and-eu-law-examinations/#.XswNNuR4WaM

I never studied or sat either and was thinking of trying one - I will be doing contract and property in October.

I only sat one in march - Company and passed 58%.

Any advice please. Which is easier EU or Tort?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As already stated above, you need to take this to the Legal Discussion forum.

You're not likely to get valid responses in this completely unrelated forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭plee

Spear wrote: »
    As already stated above, you need to take this to the Legal Discussion forum.

You're not likely to get valid responses in this completely unrelated forum.

Sorry I can’t see a suitable page there. Am I not looking it up correctly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

plee wrote: »
    Sorry I can’t see a suitable page there. Am I not looking it up correctly

Marks post, second from the top in this thread has a link to the Legal Discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bjsm

Anyone have FE1 Equity sample answer booklet I could buy? TIA

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Welcome to Boards Bjsm, you should try asking in the Legal Discussion forum where other people are discussing the FE1s: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin /forumdisplay.php?f=633

Edit - I see you have found the ofrum already, best of luck! :)

Advertisement