Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First cases in Cheltenham

• 18-03-2020 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭

A number of punters who attended the Cheltenham Festival are claiming they are now showing symptoms of coronavirus. The four-day meeting went ahead last week despite widespread criticism as sporting events all around the world were cancelled.

More than 250,000 fans attended Cheltenham and as of Monday, 10 people have now tested positive for coronavirus in Gloucestershire.

One user said on Twitter: “I’ve been in bed with a nasty fever, headache, mild cough and back pain for nearly four days now, I’m completely exhausted and have no urge to move or eat.

Another commented: “I was at Cheltenham for three days last week and I am now showing all the symptoms of coronavirus, please be careful everyone.”
    Someone else replied to the above tweet: “Was there as well and showing signs.”
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/other-sport/coronavirus-cheltenham-symptoms-latest-updates-17942590

I hope the 20,000 odd Irish who were over there last week are now in self isolation. Somehow I doubt it though and theres a good chance they are now infecting the rest of us in huge numbers.

Meanwhile
    Harrington in Self-Isolation
    It was also announced on Monday that leading trainer Jessica Harrington had decided to self-isolate for two weeks after attending last week’s Cheltenham Festival.

The damaging cost of the loss of most major sporting events has had a hugely damaging effect on betting company share prices.

Flutter Entertainment, who operate Betfair and Paddy Power, has estimated a drop in revenue of £90-110 million, but that would increase by a staggering £30m a month should racing be suspended altogether.
    https://www.gambling.com/news/covid-19-british-racing-to-continue-behind-closed-doors-2223200

Yet Horse Racing Ireland today sanctioned that Irish horse racing will still go ahead behind closed doors. Seems the health of jockeys, vets, stablehands and horse transporters doesnt matter so much as long as the bookies aren't missing out on making money. Unbelievable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Muahahaha wrote: »
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/other-sport/coronavirus-cheltenham-symptoms-latest-updates-17942590

Meanwhile

https://www.gambling.com/news/covid-19-british-racing-to-continue-behind-closed-doors-2223200

Yet Horse Racing Ireland today sanctioned that Irish horse racing will still go ahead behind closed doors. Seems the health of jockeys, vets, stablehands and horse transporters doesnt matter so much as long as the bookies aren't missing out on making money. Unbelievable.

I can't say i'm surprised by this, it's only Equine flu that gets horse racing meeting cancelled. That tells you all you need to know about the mindset of those at the top of this industry

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭bonaparte2

So, no confirmed links as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I hope the 20,000 odd Irish who were over there last week are now in self isolation. Somehow I doubt it though and theres a good chance they are now infecting the rest of us in huge numbers.

Meanwhile

People need something to pass the day, I don't see any difference in these race courses being open in private to any normal buisness opening here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

People of a certain elk travel over to Cheltenham on a normal year, never mind during a Coronavirus crisis. No doubt the vast majority of people that went over are still going about their daily business. They're the type that turns up to Lidl or Tesco to do shopping during OAP shopping hours.

People of a certain elk travel over to Cheltenham on a normal year, never mind during a Coronavirus crisis. No doubt the vast majority of people that went over are still going about their daily business. They're the type that turns up to Lidl or Tesco to do shopping during OAP shopping hours.

As are the people who travelled for football matches, the people who attended concerts, the people who went to London who pose a far greater threat because London is the epicentre of the UK outbreak , not rural Gloucester

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    As are the people who travelled for football matches, the people who attended concerts, the people who went to London who pose a far greater threat because London is the epicentre of the UK outbreak , not rural Gloucester

And what percentage of people that attended last week out of the 250,000 that did actually live in rural Gloucester?

The vast majority were from equally rural parts of the UK and Ireland. It was far riskier go to London or Anfield as Madrid is full of Corona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    The vast majority were from equally rural parts of the UK and Ireland. It was far riskier go to London or Anfield as Madrid is full of Corona.

This is just whataboutery, it was risky to go to all those places.

Either way now we've got around 20,000 Irish back home after 4 days on the piss and with weak immune systems. On top of that a hundreds of Irish based stable workers and jockeys were over there too but instead of self isolating they are now going horse racing in Ireland behind closed doors. This is despite horse racing being cancelled in other countries on public health grounds. It is completely irresponsible for Irish racing to be continuing on, every other industry is stepping up to the plate except for these guys.

First cases in Cheltenham . Kind of doesn't acknowledge the other higher risk areas. So it's fair comment to say that there are degrees of risk and Cheltenham wasn't the highest by any means .

Yet those who went to Cheltenham attracted all the moral opprobium . I don't see any other witchfinder threads such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Two bar and restaurant staff working at Cheltenham complained of having symptoms but were told by the Jockey Club it was fine to continue working on
    TWO Cheltenham Festival workers fear they may have infected thousands of race-goers after suffering coronavirus symptoms while tending bar. Andrew Maclean, 24, and Scott Saunders, 25, told The Mirror they were advised to continue working by the Jockey Club despite complaining of dry coughs and other symptoms.

Over 250,000 punters descended on Cheltenham last week for four days of horse racing and revelry, despite criticism of the festival going ahead.Mr Maclean, who worked at a restaurant, and Mr Saunders, who was behind a bar, now worry they have exposed many to the potentially fatal illness. And they are questioning why Cheltenham organisers didn’t pull the plug on the event, claiming other workers are also complaining of coronavirus-type symptoms.

Mr Maclean said: “I’m pretty certain we all have coronavirus in this house. I’ve never had anything like it before.“It’s the worst I have ever felt. My chest is really tight. The fever is horrendous. “By the second day of the festival we had symptoms.We had the dry cough.

“The Jockey Club said that it could just be a common cold so not to worry, so we took their advice and came back in.”
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/5225459/cheltenham-coronavirus-fears-as-staff-admit-to-working-with-symptoms-during-festival-that-attracted-over-250000-people/

Would think that they would have served well over a thousand people over the four days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Two bar and restaurant staff working at Cheltenham complained of having symptoms but were told by the Jockey Club it was fine to continue working on

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/5225459/cheltenham-coronavirus-fears-as-staff-admit-to-working-with-symptoms-during-festival-that-attracted-over-250000-people/

Would think that they would have served well over a thousand people over the four days.

And of course the first thing you'd do if you suspect you're infected is run to the sun newspaper. How about they get tested?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

ceadaoin. wrote:
    And of course the first thing you'd do if you suspect you're infected is run to the sun newspaper. How about they get tested?!

Took the words out of my mouth.

Typical tabloid crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Isn't that the problem, in the UK they are now only testing those admitted to hospital. The option to get tested and self isolate in the meantime isn't there, they probably won't be tested even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

ceadaoin. wrote: »

In England you only get tested if you are admitted to hospital.

Advertisement