Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XPS Graphics Card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a Precision 5510 which is basically the XPS 15 with a "pro" graphics card instead of the GeForce. It works fine with light gaming (actually it runs Battlefield 4 very well! :))

Try this:

- Get the latest BIOS from the DELL site for your machine
    - I see you have the GeForce Experience drivers so that should cover you there
    - Go to the Intel Support site and download their all-in-one updater. Install whatever it recommends

The GeForce card will NOT be used in everyday tasks - including benchmark tests (unless you specify it in NVidia Control Panel). This is normal and saves battery life too, but it will/should automatically switch when a game launches full screen.

Also note that these laptops are prone to loud fans and performance throttling when gaming due to heat and the slim design. Look up "Intel XTU undervolting" (but do your research first as it can crash your machine or worse if not used correctly!) Essentially it allows the full power of the CPU to be used for longer under stress.

The card in mine is weaker than yours but I can happily play BF4 and other (older or non-FPS) games on it.

Also.. yours, like mine, should have a USB-C Thunderbolt port which would allow an external Graphics card in theory. It's not something I've looked deeply into as I have a full gaming PC at home anyway :)

Advertisement