Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of school? Ask teachers questions (LC and JC students)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Lc2020 wrote: »
    Why haven't the SEC made an official statement yet. Causing untold stress to us students, can I take it that the orals due to take place on the 30th are cancelled ?

To be fair to the SEC, there probably isn't much they can say at this moment in time. This is completely unprecedented and I'm sure they are working very hard to come up with some sort of contingency plan. You cannot expect them to come up with solutions just yet, so much is still unknown.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

SEC are advertising for a CEO on publicjobs.ie.
    Sounds like someone said feic this I'm outta here!

On a more serious not, no one knows when they'll be happening. An educated guess would be that the 30th ain't happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Monday the 20th April at the earliest I reckon, 30th definitely isn't happening, only 5 more days till the Easter break, so 20th seems logical if things calm down over the next 35-40 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Accounting, business, economics and maths teacher here and happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cloud1969

patravers wrote: »
    English, history, Politics and Society teacher

Eldest is doing Politics and Society LC this year. Given the subject is new and there are very few past papers to go on, would you have any suggestions as to what are the key ingredients for achieving a high grade and any idea what's predicted to come up? Thanks for the offers of help all. It's a tough time for this group of pupils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Monday the 20th April at the earliest I reckon, 30th definitely isn't happening, only 5 more days till the Easter break, so 20th seems logical if things calm down over the next 35-40 days.

I agree. It'll be after Easter before classes are back. We'll see a better idea in 10 days but indications are things are going to plan. Remember it's not to stop the virus, it's to delay us getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Some helpful resources for students

Edco E-Books and resources (edcolearning.ie)

Primary School
    Username : primaryedcobooks
    Password : edco2020

Junior Cert
    Username : jcedcobooks

Leaving Cert
    Username : lcedcobooks

Revise.ie are offering free online classes until Easter for 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th years.

iRevise.ie are offering one month free access to their services using the code "STUDYCENTRE" at checkout

HomeSchool.ie have a promotion where you get €20 off each subject using the code "STAYSAFE"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

cloud1969 wrote: »
    Eldest is doing Politics and Society LC this year. Given the subject is new and there are very few past papers to go on, would you have any suggestions as to what are the key ingredients for achieving a high grade and any idea what's predicted to come up? Thanks for the offers of help all. It's a tough time for this group of pupils.

Look up King's Hospital PolSci podcast site (I found it through their Twitter page). They have lots of things up there like a handy sheet on timing for the exam. Probably have a lot more, I only had a quick look.

Get the student to make a list of all the big organisations like EU, UNDP, UNESCO etc and go on their websites. Maybe do one a day. I was trying to teach a CSPE class about the EU recently and found they have really useful powerpoints to explain what it is, how they work etc. If your kid did that for a lot of those organisations that would help.

There won't be predictions as that's usually done off what hasn't come up in a while, so hard to do with a new subject. I know a few years ago there was going to be a Healthy System essay on the Irish paper, but then the cervical check scandal happened and they pulled it at the last minute in case they upset anyone who had a loved one involved with that. So if they're anything like the Irish crew they won't have anything on the WHO on this year. But that's only a guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

Shn99 wrote: »
    LC student here.
    Would anyone have advice on how to self discipline and stay motivated during the 2 (or possibly 5) weeks of closure. Have never really worked well at home in regards to study and work. Usually do supervised study after school and at weekends but all out the window now. Tried following the timetable on Friday but failed miserably. Have all my classes on MS teams(4 teachers havent used them) but just overall stressed out and mildly panicking.

The most important thing to do is find a quiet space to only work in. No phone allowed (use a clock to keep track of time).

1. Make a study timetable. Your brain can only focus on something entirely for 20 minutes, so make out a study timetable for your subjects in 20 minute chunks, with breaks in between.

(Obviously this doesn’t apply if you are practising questions - I would suggest studying a topic for 20 mins then having a separate slot directly after for a question about what you had revised, followed by a break. You could also dedicate one day a week to completing longer questions e.g practising your essay writing skills).

2. Break it down for yourself! As you only have 20 minutes, instead of simply writing ‘Geography’ or ‘Maths’ down, choose a topic you have done recently that you can revise in 20 minutes. (I teach English, so I’ll attach a sample for that).

3. Be realistic. If you wake up usually at half 9, start your timetable at half 10. Factoring in your daily life and getting your study timetable to suit you will help you stick to it better.

4. Get a revision notebook for each subject. Trust me, it will make life easier than simply using bits of paper.

5. Before your 20 minutes starts, test yourself on your chosen topic - write down you’re subject, topic, date, then how much you actually know. Then using books/notes, add in things that you missed, had forgotten etc. When you’re finished test yourself again to make sure you know it. (Quizlet.com is also good for testing yourself on definitions/quotes etc.)

6. Lastly, Maths and English are skills that require practice, practice, practice! You need to write something everyday to improve your English - even typing pieces and e-mailing them to your teacher would help.

So try to relax, take today to simply organise a space, draw out a timetable and work out how best you learn/take notes etc.

Also worth mentioning that you should speak to your parents/others in the house about how you’re feeling. You‘d be amazed at how relieved you might be simply by articulating the stress you’re feeling. It is also good for others to know what you will be doing every day, and they may be able to help!

Best of luck with it and stay safe! 😊

In light of the cancellation of the Irish and other orals, my Irish teacher has said it would be ok to sit the higher paper in June as we automatically get 46 pts (currently doing OL)..Is this reccomended?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

In light of the cancellation of the Irish and other orals, my Irish teacher has said it would be ok to sit the higher paper in June as we automatically get 46 pts (currently doing OL)..Is this reccomended?

You cannot just change levels. That was outlined earlier in the press briefing.
    The level you picked a couple of weeks ago will be the one you will do for your exam..

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You cannot just change levels. That was outlined earlier in the press briefing.
    The level you picked a couple of weeks ago will be the one you will do for your exam..

Ah, she said we could change on the day like we could with other subjects. Thanks :)

Ah, she said we could change on the day like we could with other subjects. Thanks :)

Other subjects, yes, that is still the option, but not if there is a 100% already given for a section of the test, like Irish now has.

From RTE....... Students who were due to sit the orals or practical performance tests in the affected subjects will take their final written examinations in these subjects at the level they have indicated when confirming their subject choices to the State Examinations Commission earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

French and German here for anyone that needs anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrsMinicooper

Hi would anyone have an account on Jack Lynch in relation to the question "A Political Leader 1960-1985" many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Hi would anyone have an account on Jack Lynch in relation to the question "A Political Leader 1960-1985" many thanks.

What textbook are you using? Are you sitting the exam this year?

bobbyss wrote: »
    What textbook are you using? Are you sitting the exam this year?

Im actually a teacher but left some notes in my school. I've 2 small children at home and it's hard to make out new resources.

Im actually a teacher but left some notes in my school. I've 2 small children at home and it's hard to make out new resources.

I'm sure I have something on him but not sure where. Will look later when I get a chance and let you know.... i think the account i have was photocopied out of an old textbook. I'll get back to you this evening when I've had a chance to look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

Hello,

Hope everyone is well.

Just have a question for biology teachers, when was the new syllabus first examined? Looking online it does say 2009, but having looked at the 2008/2007 papers, they're identical in terms of layout etc.
    So how far back do you advise your students to go when doing exam papers ?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

Lc2020 wrote: »
    Hello,

Hope everyone is well.

Just have a question for biology teachers, when was the new syllabus first examined? Looking online it does say 2009, but having looked at the 2008/2007 papers, they're identical in terms of layout etc.
    So how far back do you advise your students to go when doing exam papers ?

Thank you.

It was first examined in 2004. All exams available on the website of the SEC (examinations.ie), although given your other posts you may object to using that website on grounds of principle...

• Advertisement

Sorry I've searched everywhere and don't have it to hand. Must be on one of my usbs in school. Apologies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ML0QHF4u8
    Might be able to get something from that on Jack Lynch.

Sorry I've searched everywhere and don't have it to hand. Must be on one of my usbs in school. Apologies.

Many thanks for looking

• Site Banned Posts: 5 plopperthepig

Hi, I am not so sure if I'm posting this in the right place but here goes.

I have a question for chemistry teachers. In the 2005 paper, it asks you to calculate the empirical formula of the chloride. I know that you have to calculate the number of moles of the respective elements but when calculating the number of moles of the chlorine gas, the marking scheme gives the RMM to be 35.5 , is it not the case that chlorine gas is Cl2 ?

Thank you in advance. I would attach the question but there doesn't appear to be an option to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Simon Harris just said on Primetime that he does not except any lifting of restrictions at Fridays meeting.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I have a question for chemistry teachers. In the 2005 paper, it asks you to calculate the empirical formula of the chloride. I know that you have to calculate the number of moles of the respective elements but when calculating the number of moles of the chlorine gas, the marking scheme gives the RMM to be 35.5 , is it not the case that chlorine gas is Cl2 ?

Thank you in advance. I would attach the question but there doesn't appear to be an option to do that.

The RMM of a single chlorine atom is 35.5.
    If they asked you for Cl2, then it would be 71.

The question is asking for the empirical formulas of the chloride of copper.
    You don’t need to think about how the reaction happens here, you just need to worry about the composition of the product.

For Cu: 3.175g/63.5 = 0.05
    For Cl 6.725g - 3.175 = 3.55g of chlorine

3.55/35.5 = 0.1

This means the ratio of Cu:Cl is 1:2

The empirical formula and the chemical formula are the same:
    CuCl2

Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Hi there.
    You don't need to find the number of moles of chlorine gas? You know that the mass of copper used remains as a product, and then the increase in mass is due to chlorine (just Cl). I know the question mentions chlorine has but that's just to give you an indication of the reaction.
    Does that help?

• Site Banned Posts: 5 plopperthepig

Thank you all!

Advertisement