Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the World Championship Go Ahead as Normal??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Judd Trump, for one, doesnt believe it should go ahead behind closed doors. Personally i think he's right.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/03/snooker-world-championship-needs-crowd-says-judd-trump-12505367/

Would you prefer no World Championship in 2020 over a tournament played behind closed doors? Personally i would love to see it being played one way or the other at this stage. Im sure a lot of snooker fans would enjoy two weeks of top class snooker even with no crowd. Its a pretty silent sport for the most part so if any game could go ahead behind closed doors it iis snooker. Just for this one year. But safety and health for all is paramount so whatever decision is made i'll gladly accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Would you prefer no World Championship in 2020 over a tournament played behind closed doors? Personally i would love to see it being played one way or the other at this stage. Im sure a lot of snooker fans would enjoy two weeks of top class snooker even with no crowd. Its a pretty silent sport for the most part so if any game could go ahead behind closed doors it iis snooker. Just for this one year. But safety and health for all is paramount so whatever decision is made i'll gladly accept it.

Yeah i can see why folk would want it to happen. Maybe I'd feel different in july if the prospect was a definite runner but right now, i just feel total indifference at best. Maybe start playing tournaments if possible but dont call them the world champs? I've occasionally tuned in to that championship league thing they play with no spectators and never see the point of it. A guy could win the worlds this year and there'll only ever be an asterisk against it, I'm not sure that can be right thing to do tbh, as much as we all yearn for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

zuutroy wrote: »
    A lot of players don't have a table at home and from what I hear those who do aren't doing much practice.

I'd image that is right yes. All I know is Mark Selby has a pool table at home. Often shows in his style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Even with no audience, and no players' families attending, you're still looking at hundreds of people gathered together between players, coaches, officials, and broadcasting staff.

That is a good point actually.

If it's okay for all these people to congregate then why wouldn't it be okay to have at least some audience.

AllForIt wrote: »
    That is a good point actually.

If it's okay for all these people to congregate then why wouldn't it be okay to have at least some audience.

How are you looking at hundreds of people congregating? Im trying to think if you had to what is the least you could have at the Crucible for every session.

Two table set up (up to semi final) as we know. So that's four players and two referees. Do all players have coaches? Say 2 do. Tv monitor ref need 2 of them. Thats 10.

Im sure Eurosport and BBC could do a bit of social distancing if needs be and the commentators could be in seperate booths or something. Say 5 for each broadcaster. Thats 10. Total of 20 so far.

Camera and sound and tv techicians. Not sure how many they need. Say 10 in total.

So thats 30 so far for each session if you had to squeeze the fewest amont of people in. Im no doubt missing a few but there is no need for hundreds if they really wanted to make it work?

I dont know maybe its best to knock it on the head for this year. Im probably hoping against hope that it may happen but will it have lost its soul with an empty crowd? Possibly. I wonder what the players feel? Judd has come out against it? Maybe 90% are against it.

Seems any hope of any sport going ahead any time soon is doomed. Is there any light at end of tunnel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

How are you looking at hundreds of people congregating? Im trying to think if you had to what is the least you could have at the Crucible for every session.

Two table set up (up to semi final) as we know. So that's four players and two referees. Do all players have coaches? Say 2 do. Tv monitor ref need 2 of them. Thats 10.

Im sure Eurosport and BBC could do a bit of social distancing if needs be and the commentators could be in seperate booths or something. Say 5 for each broadcaster. Thats 10. Total of 20 so far.

Camera and sound and tv techicians. Not sure how many they need. Say 10 in total.

So thats 30 so far for each session if you had to squeeze the fewest amont of people in. Im no doubt missing a few but there is no need for hundreds if they really wanted to make it work?

I dont know maybe its best to knock it on the head for this year. Im probably hoping against hope that it may happen but will it have lost its soul with an empty crowd? Possibly. I wonder what the players feel? Judd has come out against it? Maybe 90% are against it.

Seems any hope of any sport going ahead any time soon is doomed. Is there any light at end of tunnel?

The problem is that sport doesn't have a right to continue if other professions are told not to. If the Crucible can open with skeleton staff, other industries will push that they have a right to open too so whilst you could argue that 30 could work to run the event per day, the office down the road then should be able to open with 30.

Also, it takes one person to get sick to close the entire thing down. So is it worth it running the event for two weeks for an umpire to get sick and then the whole thing gets shut down...

The problem is that sport doesn't have a right to continue if other professions are told not to. If the Crucible can open with skeleton staff, other industries will push that they have a right to open too so whilst you could argue that 30 could work to run the event per day, the office down the road then should be able to open with 30.

Also, it takes one person to get sick to close the entire thing down. So is it worth it running the event for two weeks for an umpire to get sick and then the whole thing gets shut down...

Other professions will be easing their way back to work at some stage when the restrictions are lifted gradually. Not sure when that will be in the UK but you would like to think there will be some movement in that regards by the end of July.

But of course i see what your saying in relation to someone proven to be infected at the event and how risky that is. Does the reward match the risk? At this stage with the bad way the UK is you'd say no but still over 2 and a half months before it is proposed to start.

Id give it a 10% chance of going ahead at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

A great effort by the beeb and should keep us entertained for the couple of weeks , Eurosport also getting in on the act also.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/52231678

FR01 wrote: »
    A great effort by the beeb and should keep us entertained for the couple of weeks , Eurosport also getting in on the act also.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/52231678

Nice touch but for me snooker is not a sport to watch old matches. It has to be live as it relies on its suspense and matches can last hours. Or days even. No way id watch an old match in full that you know the result.

I'll watch a few of these maybe, ones I've forgotten. 1985 is a bit like italia 90 though, all played out for me. Love to see what else they'd have in the archives, going back to the 70s or even before, but hardly going to be much wider appeal for that. Should show the rack pack again. That was a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

disappointing they're not showing the Dott-Ebdon final in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

Good to see. Strange first match they picked though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Great Idea.But I'm without BBC during this lockdown:(. Hopefully they appear elsewhere in due course.

Had tickets for the Crucible this year. Would be in Sheffield Premier Inn tonight in the normal course of events.

elgriff wrote: »
    Good to see. Strange first match they picked though?

Yeah...hardly comes under strict definition of what you might call "classic". Probably the biggest shock ever at the crucible, not just to lose but by that magnitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Great Idea.But I'm without BBC during this lockdown:(. Hopefully they appear elsewhere in due course.

Had tickets for the Crucible this year. Would be in Sheffield Premier Inn tonight in the normal course of events.

No mention of refunds or changes yet. I wonder if it doesn't go ahead in summer will they just carry tickets over to 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

It all got too much for me yesterday so I made a video to comfort myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

The BBC showed the 1982 final today where Alex Higgins beat Ray Reardon 18-15. Even though he won 6 world championships, I never realised Ray Reardon was such a good potter! When he leveled at 15-15, he looked as if he would win but Alex won the last 3 frames with a brilliant 135 break in the last.

After there was a good documentary about Alex. That 1982 was the high point of his career and it was downhill after that. It was sad the way it finished for him but he didn’t seem to accept help. Most of the contributors (including Ronnie O’Sullivan and Jimmy White) had great praise for Alex but I thought Barry Hearn was very begrudging towards him. It was a pity they didn’t interview Ken Doherty who did a lot to help Alex towards the end.

I'd have preferred that documentary if they'd left hearn out of it altogether but cant blame them too much, probably felt he was too big a figure in the game to leave out. Bit of a mealy mouthed tribute if you ask me, but decent doc otherwise. Alex was a tragic figure unfortunately but at his best, there was nothing like him, just for sheer energy and edginess at the table. Nobody ever gave me a bigger thrill but alas it was too short lived. 82 was great and 83 uk final arguably even better.

His 69 clearance against Jimmy White in the semi final in 1982 was the best break I've ever seen (Ronnie O'Sullivan said the same) It was partly because he kept leaving himself out of position but some of the pots were amazing! His comeback from 7-0 down against Davis in the UK final was brilliant as well. He also beat Stephen Hendry in the Irish Masters final in Goffs in 1989 which never got a mention.

Although he didn't win many titles, he was compulsive viewing in the eighties - a true people's champion. Just so sad the way life finished for him.

My actual favourite moment in that 69 clearance isnt a pot but when at one point, as he's walking around the table, Alex turns and winks at someone or just maybe everyone in the audience, as if to say, dont worry, I've got this under control here. That's what made him unique i think, to do that at 15-16 down in a world sf and in that style - i dont think anyone else could have done that.

No single figure did more to popularise snooker in the 1980s imo and some were a bit resentful of it. Not that alex got the rewards for it, but a lot of that was clearly down to his own appalling behaviour.

• Advertisement

My actual favourite moment in that 69 clearance isnt a pot but when at one point, as he's walking around the table, Alex turns and winks at someone or just maybe everyone in the audience, as if to say, dont worry, I've got this under control here. That's what made him unique i think, to do that at 15-16 down in a world sf and in that style - i dont think anyone else could have done that.

No single figure did more to popularise snooker in the 1980s imo and some were a bit resentful of it. Not that alex got the rewards for it, but a lot of that was clearly down to his own appalling behaviour.

Alex was just a small bit before my time but i can appreciate what he did to make snooker so popular. But while my grandad adored him my Dad pretty much despised him for his disgraceful conduct and i have to say he's not somebody i admire greatly at all. Threatening to have Dennis Taylor shot? I mean come on there's just no way i could warm to a person like that.

Alex was just a small bit before my time but i can appreciate what he did to make snooker so popular. But while my grandad adored him my Dad pretty much despised him for his disgraceful conduct and i have to say he's not somebody i admire greatly at all. Threatening to have Dennis Taylor shot? I mean come on there's just no way i could warm to a person like that.

I knew fair few who hated alex and were fans of davis. Couldnt have any truck with that at all. Of course i wouldnt be trying to justify Alex's behaviour, guy was mentally disturbed. But i dont think i would have become a fan of snooker only for him. I used to bunk off college lectures to try and find a pub that might be showing the snooker when alex was playing. It was how i imagined people might have viewed Best when they were young. But morally, indefensible. No argument there.

Obviously some of the things he did were indefensible but you probably have to look at the good and bad things he did when judging him. He was his own worst enemy (a bit like George Best in that respect) Dennis Taylor was on the program and spoke generously about his snooker while also addressing the darker side of Alex.

OutTheGap wrote: »
    Obviously some of the things he did were indefensible but you probably have to look at the good and bad things he did when judging him. He was his own worst enemy (a bit like George Best in that respect) Dennis Taylor was on the program and spoke generously about his snooker while also addressing the darker side of Alex.

I have my own issues with drink and other stuff but have never been violent, beat up woman or threatened people. Its just not in me to be like that. I will self destruct but not effect anyone else. I don't accept alcohol as an excuse for his behaviour. Its either in you or its not. His carry on was disgusting and as much as he did for snooker i just cannot like a person like that in any walk of life. Sorry thats just how i feel.

I have my own issues with drink and other stuff but have never been violent, beat up woman or threatened people. Its just not in me to be like that. I will self destruct but not effect anyone else. I don't accept alcohol as an excuse for his behaviour. Its either in you or its not. His carry on was disgusting and as much as he did for snooker i just cannot like a person like that in any walk of life. Sorry thats just how i feel.

No need to apologise. It's a fair perspective from someone with no emotional connection, looking at the facts from a distance.

I dont think life is always that black or white though. Higgins had his demons, did horrible indefensible things, but people couldnt help feeling some kind of affection for him, as the tributes that flowed after his death showed. Even some of those he hurt and let down terribly could never quite write him off completely, including his ex wife and daughter.

I like that Jimmy White quote about alex on one of the book blurbs - "i loved him, i hated him, i loved him, i hated him". That kind of sums it up for me, how he conflicted people's heads.

No need to apologise. It's a fair perspective from someone with no emotional connection, looking at the facts from a distance.

I dont think life is always that black or white though. Higgins had his demons, did horrible indefensible things, but people couldnt help feeling some kind of affection for him, as the tributes that flowed after his death showed. Even some of those he hurt and let down terribly could never quite write him off completely, including his ex wife and daughter.

I like that Jimmy White quote about alex on one of the book blurbs - "i loved him, i hated him, i loved him, i hated him". That kind of sums it up for me, how he conflicted people's heads.

Yes fair point. I'm sure he had his good points too. I remember he spent quite a bit of time towards the end of his life living in Dublin and he used to frequent the Boers Head on Capel St. I know a few who spent some time in his company and although he was old and frail he was quiet and mannerly.

Maybe he deep down regretted some of his actions but i guess dont we all to some extent. Perhaps if i was around to see him work his magic on the table and see how he transformed the game i may have a different perspective but deep down i just dont think i would have liked him as a person with all the nasty stuff he was involved in.

Yes fair point. I'm sure he had his good points too. I remember he spent quite a bit of time towards the end of his life living in Dublin and he used to frequent the Boers Head on Capel St. I know a few who spent some time in his company and although he was old and frail he was quiet and mannerly.

Maybe he deep down regretted some of his actions but i guess dont we all to some extent. Perhaps if i was around to see him work his magic on the table and see how he transformed the game i may have a different perspective but deep down i just dont think i would have liked him as a person with all the nasty stuff he was involved in.

One of the things back then was the Davis v Higgins rivalry which was great for the game in terms of styles and personalities. But other than on paper, it was probably one of the most one sided rivalries in sport, davis hockeyed him nearly everytime. But there was one brief period in 1985 where higgins held sway - beat him in masters at Wembley, masters in goffs and then the world team cup too. Whatever you thought of him, they were some occasions.

I saw him play a few times but never wanted to meet him. Met a guy who knew him in dublin before the end and said alex was a nightmare, constantly badgering him for money and getting narky when he didnt get it. He's nothing but tragic and the stupid nature of his death was very sadly fitting in that respect.

One of the things back then was the Davis v Higgins rivalry which was great for the game in terms of styles and personalities. But other than on paper, it was probably one of the most one sided rivalries in sport, davis hockeyed him nearly everytime. But there was one brief period in 1985 where higgins held sway - beat him in masters at Wembley, masters in goffs and then the world team cup too. Whatever you thought of him, they were some occasions.

I saw him play a few times but never wanted to meet him. Met a guy who knew him in dublin before the end and said alex was a nightmare, constantly badgering him for money and getting narky when he didnt get it. He's nothing but tragic and the stupid nature of his death was very sadly fitting in that respect.

And he died, not of alcohol or cancer, but of malnutrition. He couldn't even feed himself at the end. Your right what a fitting end.

Be good to here any stories of anyone who met him in Dublin in the years before he died. From what i heard he wasnt bad in the Boers Head. He did his few daily bets in Ladbrokes up the road on Capel St. No pool table in the Boers Head but i heard he used to play pool in other pubs in the city for money and sometimes people would feel so sorry for him they'd let him win. Dont know how true that is as could be just rumour.

• Advertisement

It was funny in the documentary yesterday that Barry Hearn said Davis was afraid of Higgins physically. You could see that in a couple of interviews they showed, Davis was very uncomfortable in his seat, probably afraid Higgins was going to hit him!

At the time of the Davis v Higgins rivalry I wouldn't have had any time for Davis, he seemed like a robotic machine. I have to say now he comes across very well and seems like a decent bloke.

Advertisement