Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options
  • 10-03-2020 12:03pm

I'd like to start a restaurant and food thread for Kildare if anyone would like to join in. As someone who eats out a lot, I'm finding it hard to get information from Boardsies on what they like or have experienced in the area.

I have copied the below from the very successful Cork thread:
    Please post below about your favourite restaurants - why you like them, what price range they are, what type of food they serve, if they have an early bird, opening hours if you know them, where they're located. If you could include a link to the website, that would be great. The more details, the better.

Also if you know of any new eateries about to open or ones that are closing down please join in.

I'll begin on the next post below.

Comments

New openings that I haven't tried yet, but hoping to get in soon.

2c Cafe in Sallins - ran by the same owners and in the same building as Two Cooks restaurant. Open Fri-Sun.

Gastro 101 in Naas - opened in Dec and owned by the same group as Rustic pizza on Naas main street.

Has anyone been in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

All in Naas:
    Two cooks
    Bouchon
    Maharajah

Newbridge is not great on the gastro front

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

Ate in Indie Spice Naas (Indian) on sunday and is my new favourite indian in Naas

Ubh cafe in Newbridge is very good

Lock 13 in Sallins is very good

Fallons in Kilcullen cannot be passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Good idea for a thread!

Lock 13 in Sallins has consistently been one of my favourite places to eat over the last few years, good quality food and drinks for a decent price, not overly fancy.

Cunninghams in Kildare Town is nice as well for dinner, they kind of have a strange combination of a thai/Irish menu but very tasty.

Agree Newbridge is very light on nice places to eat, the same people own Cunninghams and Harrigans in Newbridge but I find the food isn't as nice in Harrigans despite the menu being more or less the same.

Thanks for previous recommendations.

Due to Covid 19 shutting down all restaurants at the moment, I thought I'd do a post on the ones I know of that are currently doing take out or delivery. If you are like me you will be suffering good food withdrawals!

If anyone has had a takeout or know's of others doing the same please post. I for one would love to see every single local business bounce back when this is over.

Naas
    - Rustic
    - Gastro 101
    - Lemongrass
    - Vie De Chateaux
    - The Brown Bear

Sallins
    - Two Cooks

Caragh
    - Cookes of Caragh

Leixlip
    - Becketts
    - Da Vincis

Maynooth
    - Red Torch Ginger
    - Ely Wine Bar

Clane
    - Enzo's

Kilcock
    - Rye River Cafe

Celbridge
    - Michelangelo's
    - Da Marios

• Advertisement

In other Kildare food news. These plans were made just before lockdown. Hopefully we will see them come to fruition.

Kildare Town - Derelict Graces pub in the centre of Kildare town was recently sold and is thought to become a new hotel/bar/restaurant.
    Donadea - The Grill Shack at Roches Pub has created a hot sauce which will be sold in Aldi by the end of May
    Clane - A new restaurant/cafe has been granted permission where an old medical centre used to be
    Monasteravin - A new service station with a drive thru and several restaurants was refused permission by An Bord Pleanala

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

kian163 wrote: »
    Maynooth
    - Red Torch Ginger
    - Ely Wine Bar

Mam's
    Royal City / Orient
    Kin Khao

Also Korma at Home in Dunboyne deliver to Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

Ponte Nuovo in Newbridge is Delivering

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Orion wrote: »
    Mam's
    Royal City / Orient
    Kin Khao

Also Korma at Home in Dunboyne deliver to Maynooth.

Kin Khao has closed, sign up saying for two weeks (and this was long after the "March 29th" date, so they may actually mean it)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A foodie neighbour told me the burgers in Bistro 101 are savage.

• Advertisement

For anyone missing good wood fired pizza. Food Junkie Pizza are doing drive thru pizza collections this weekend around Kildare.

Good Friday - Kildare Town, Cunninghams Bar - from 11.30am
    Easter Saturday - Naas Rugby Club car park - from 11.30am
    Easter Sunday- Newbridge Silverware car park - from 11.30am

Till stocks last. They also do 'cook at home' pizzas, but you need to order them the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

For anyone missing good wood fired pizza. Food Junkie Pizza are doing drive thru pizza collections this weekend around Kildare.

Good Friday - Kildare Town, Cunninghams Bar - from 11.30am
    Easter Saturday - Naas Rugby Club car park - from 11.30am
    Easter Sunday- Newbridge Silverware car park - from 11.30am

Till stocks last. They also do 'cook at home' pizzas, but you need to order them the night before.

One of , If not the best Pizza in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Thanks for previous recommendations.

Due to Covid 19 shutting down all restaurants at the moment, I thought I'd do a post on the ones I know of that are currently doing take out or delivery. If you are like me you will be suffering good food withdrawals!

If anyone has had a takeout or know's of others doing the same please post. I for one would love to see every single local business bounce back when this is over.

Naas
    - Rustic
    - Gastro 101
    - Lemongrass
    - Vie De Chateaux
    - The Brown Bear

Sallins
    - Two Cooks

Caragh
    - Cookes of Caragh

Leixlip
    - Becketts
    - Da Vincis

Maynooth
    - Red Torch Ginger
    - Ely Wine Bar

Clane
    - Enzo's

Kilcock
    - Rye River Cafe

Celbridge
    - Michelangelo's
    - Da Marios

Timeless in Kilcock are doing a collection service on Sat and Sunday morning. Breakfast Hash, pancakes, scones

• Registered Users Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fate in Naas doing take out and delivery.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Daintydoll1

Diep and Apache in Leixlip also open and delivering.
    Town is operating a collection service, phone your order in. Started back up on Saturday.
    Springfield hotel doing more traditional carvery type food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Any decent Chinese open close to leixlip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Got JRB's delivered via QiQ. Was actually pretty decent quality and the food held up well during transport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Celbridge
    - Michelangelo's
    - Da Marios

Da Mario's shut right at the start. Their Macari's chipper at Castle Village is open Thurs-Sun for collection / delivery. Cash only for some reason...

Michaelangelo's open for contactless delivery / collection

Choy's and Royal Palace Chinese restaurants open for contactless delivery / collection.

Apache Pizza AFAIK open for delivery / collection also. Contactless only through their pretty poorly designed app.

Think that's all currently operating in Celbridge but open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Daintydoll1

Any decent Chinese open close to leixlip?

Alannadale is doing both collection and delivery. That’s probably the best Chinese imo

Timeless in Kilcock are doing a collection service on Sat and Sunday morning. Breakfast Hash, pancakes, scones

I haven't visited Timeless yet, but I have friends and family in the town who all rave about it. I often dismissed it due to the exterior looking a bit nondescript and generic, I presumed it was a run of the mill cafe. Sorry I did now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Eddie Rocket's and River King Chinese reopened now for delivery and collection in Celbridge.

The Grill Shack at Roches Pub, Donadea are also open. Seem to be mainly focusing on Rotisserie Chickens and sides.

Collections Weekend Saturday 4-8pm and Sunday 2-6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Also a new thai food place in celbridge opened today Koi & papaking, menu looks nice.

It seems most restaurants are now testing the waters and opening back up again for take away/delivery.

Some more.

- Maynooth
    Bistro 53, menu here one of the more interesting. Include prawns, mussels, charcuterie and risotto.
    Ely Wine Bar - doing 'Date night boxes' which are 2 course ready meals with wine for 2
    O'Briens - Take Away
    - Sallins
    Lock 13 - Menu is up on website - Burgers, wings and curries.
    - Naas
    The Monread - Menu here - Again burgers, wings and curry type food.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TragicJohnson

In Maynooth, Picaderos & Donatello's are now open for takeaways.

Not long now till restaurants start opening up in Kildare. I'm already booked into Bouchon and Kin Khao on opening week so will be interesting to see how it all goes. I cannot wait to get food served to me once again, and on a plate! Takeaway on my sofa was never comparable for me unfortunately.

Sad to hear that Creans Place in Kilcullen did not make it and the restaurant has will be closing for good. Hopefully there aren't too many other local casualties after the 29th.

Halo cafe in Celbridge announced yesterday they also closing down.

I'd imagine it will be tough for many coming back with the restrictions and owning small spaces. I can see takeaway continuing to be a thing for some until they gauge the publics reaction to eating out.

And we're back!

First visits went to Maynooth. The Roost and Bradys were busy and doing good trade for dinner. Publicans, staff and customers all seemed delighted to be back.

New openings:

1) Sundae Scoops in Naas. Crowds queuing down the road on opening weekend, very very popular.
    2) The Little Brew Cafe in Dunlavin. Not quite Kildare but on the border but this lovely place gets a mention for using Kildare's PS Coffee Roasters coffee. Was packed on two occasions when I visited and the takeaway cakes were flying out.
    3) Lock 13 Coffee - Not a new opening but now have a new coffee machine and also doing PS Coffee Roasters.
    4) Firecastle in Kildare Town - A venture by the owners of Hartes pub, this grocer, delicatessen, bakery and café with cookery school and 10 bedrooms all wrapped into one have pushed their cafe opening date back to August.
    5) Sasta by the River in Maynooth - Opening in Manor Mills shopping centre

Closing Down:

1) The priory restaurant in Kilgowan won't be reopening. Think the pub is staying though.
    2) O'Briens Sandwich Cafe in Clane.

I should really have called this the KILDARE EATERY THREAD as I'd like to include others that aren't just restaurants. :D

Sasta by the River in Maynooth has a soft opening tomorrow until Sunday. Full opening on Wed Aug 5th.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC_51hVnRHy/

Looks like they are doing a interesting job on the fit out.

• Advertisement

Other new Kildare openings...
    • Rathangan's D&T Dillons pub on the corner has been granted permission to be turned into a restaurant and cafe. I'm hoping for outdoor seating as there is a paved area in the front of it which would make for an attractive set up.
    • Allenwood received a cafe called Il Fontana. The outdoor seating looks nice enough and should be a great addition to the small village.
    • Also in Clane Enzos restaurant have moved premises into the pub next door (cant remember the name) and now have an extremely large beer garden in what used to be half of the car park.

Advertisement