Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UHW strike over

Options
  • 09-03-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Seeing as the original thread crashed and burned due to eejitery, can the mods please permit me to report that the pickets have been lifted and the staff are back at work.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/03/08/resolution-reached-in-cleaning-dispute-at-university-hospital-waterford/

I will say one thing- there was a lot of comment surrounding how (in the opinions of quite a lot of people) poor the basic cleaning is in UHW. That was fair comment.

But that doesn't entirely come down to the staff, it's quite likely there are shirkers but shouldn't some of the blame come down to supervisors and managers not providing the support or discipline to the staff ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

91wx763 wrote: »
    Seeing as the original thread crashed and burned due to eejitery, can the mods please permit me to report that the pickets have been lifted and the staff are back at work.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/03/08/resolution-reached-in-cleaning-dispute-at-university-hospital-waterford/

I will say one thing- there was a lot of comment surrounding how (in the opinions of quite a lot of people) poor the basic cleaning is in UHW. That was fair comment.

But that doesn't entirely come down to the staff, it's quite likely there are shirkers but shouldn't some of the blame come down to supervisors and managers not providing the support or discipline to the staff ???

In fairness it looked terrible for them to be on strike in the context of a pending pandemic. I pass there at least twice a day and I have not heard one car blowing their horn in support. When the nurses or doctors are on strike you always hear it. That spoke volumes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Cleaning levels very poor for some years for such a busy hospital. Every social media site that raises the issue talks of hospital not being clean, staff being very poor and a lot with very poor attitude. I don't know why that is so, but its not acceptable. The optics of the strike were, in Waterford terms, cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Cleaning levels very poor for some years for such a busy hospital. Every social media site that raises the issue talks of hospital not being clean, staff being very poor and a lot with very poor attitude. I don't know why that is so, but its not acceptable. The optics of the strike were, in Waterford terms, cat.

So back to my point, is it the workers or the managers or equally both who have caused these long term low standards ???

And while the specifics of the current situation have been laid to rest, what about the others things that are consistently wrong ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

91wx763 wrote: »
    So back to my point, is it the workers or the managers or equally both who have caused these long term low standards ???

And while the specifics of the current situation have been laid to rest, what about the others things that are consistently wrong ???

Would it be because the now supervisors were promoted from within after starting as cleaners etc and they have simply brought there own failings to a higher level and the staff below them see this as a sign for , well if they got to be supervisors by doing a bad job what's the point in doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

BBM77 wrote: »
    I pass there at least twice a day and I have not heard one car blowing their horn in support.

You've got to be kidding me. I live nearby and the car horns didn't stop from morning until night. I knew the strike was over because the noise stopped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Shrodingers horn.

Advertisement