Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

UHW strike over

  • 09-03-2020 11:18am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭ 91wx763
    Registered User


    Seeing as the original thread crashed and burned due to eejitery, can the mods please permit me to report that the pickets have been lifted and the staff are back at work.

    https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/03/08/resolution-reached-in-cleaning-dispute-at-university-hospital-waterford/

    I will say one thing- there was a lot of comment surrounding how (in the opinions of quite a lot of people) poor the basic cleaning is in UHW. That was fair comment.

    But that doesn't entirely come down to the staff, it's quite likely there are shirkers but shouldn't some of the blame come down to supervisors and managers not providing the support or discipline to the staff ???


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭ BBM77
    Registered User


    91wx763 wrote: »
    Seeing as the original thread crashed and burned due to eejitery, can the mods please permit me to report that the pickets have been lifted and the staff are back at work.

    https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/03/08/resolution-reached-in-cleaning-dispute-at-university-hospital-waterford/

    I will say one thing- there was a lot of comment surrounding how (in the opinions of quite a lot of people) poor the basic cleaning is in UHW. That was fair comment.

    But that doesn't entirely come down to the staff, it's quite likely there are shirkers but shouldn't some of the blame come down to supervisors and managers not providing the support or discipline to the staff ???

    In fairness it looked terrible for them to be on strike in the context of a pending pandemic. I pass there at least twice a day and I have not heard one car blowing their horn in support. When the nurses or doctors are on strike you always hear it. That spoke volumes for me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭ azimuth17
    Registered User


    Cleaning levels very poor for some years for such a busy hospital. Every social media site that raises the issue talks of hospital not being clean, staff being very poor and a lot with very poor attitude. I don't know why that is so, but its not acceptable. The optics of the strike were, in Waterford terms, cat.


  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭ 91wx763
    Registered User


    azimuth17 wrote: »
    Cleaning levels very poor for some years for such a busy hospital. Every social media site that raises the issue talks of hospital not being clean, staff being very poor and a lot with very poor attitude. I don't know why that is so, but its not acceptable. The optics of the strike were, in Waterford terms, cat.

    So back to my point, is it the workers or the managers or equally both who have caused these long term low standards ???

    And while the specifics of the current situation have been laid to rest, what about the others things that are consistently wrong ???


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    91wx763 wrote: »
    So back to my point, is it the workers or the managers or equally both who have caused these long term low standards ???

    And while the specifics of the current situation have been laid to rest, what about the others things that are consistently wrong ???

    Would it be because the now supervisors were promoted from within after starting as cleaners etc and they have simply brought there own failings to a higher level and the staff below them see this as a sign for , well if they got to be supervisors by doing a bad job what's the point in doing a good job.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭ fricatus
    Registered User


    BBM77 wrote: »
    I pass there at least twice a day and I have not heard one car blowing their horn in support.

    You've got to be kidding me. I live nearby and the car horns didn't stop from morning until night. I knew the strike was over because the noise stopped!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭ Captain Red Beard
    Registered User


    Shrodingers horn.


Advertisement