Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Stock - avoid the virus hysteria

Options

Comments

Had to pick up a prescription in McCabes in Blanch today and they're only allowing a small number of people in at a time so there was queuing outside (at a safe distance). Staff give you a blob of hand sanitizer at the door, then there's a similar queuing system at the tills. They're only allowing people to get one month's supply of medication at the moment as they want to protect supply.

Dunnes was ok but once again no pasta or rice and hardly any loo roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

There's a few things to this and its not just panic or hysteria. There is a real change in customer shopping trends.
    • People working from home, not eating out or bring lunch to work.
    • Kids not at school, no lunches required but more meals need to be made at home.
    • People not going out to eat and making meals at home.

Using meat as an example; Only 10% of Beef produced in Ireland is sold to Irish consumers and that's divided between retail, hotels catering, everything. Since people aren't eating out they're buying it from Tesco, Aldi ect. Even if you exclude the panic buying element, this is a huge change and requires a huge amount of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I am assuming the supermarkets will require additional staff at some stage, might be opportunities for a tiny amount of the staff that have already been laid off. Of course HSE and possibly Social Protection will need plenty of additional staff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Sure people will still queue and there’s your social distancing out the window.
    This will get worse before it gets better.

This is why the army or garda with new cars need to chip in to keep lines in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Hearing lots of suppliers to catering trade who are offering to sell direct to the public and are supportive of isolation delivery/pickup techniques. Eventually some of us are going to be sick and might be glad of deliveries, and there's some talk of big supermarkets with sparse delivery spots.

Meat:
    Dublin Meat Co. down in Coolmine, deliver to your door and are sound lads.
    https://twitter.com/DublinMeatCo

Irish Chicken: Ring's Farm.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETQSmjhWoAE62qd?format=jpg&name=large
    https://tht/1239636257531146243?s=20

Fruit and Veg:

Doyles Veg Prep in D12
    sales@doylesvegprep.com
    https://www.facebook.com/DoylesVegPrepLtd/

I know Nudie Foods are a local business who deliver fruit, but iirc they're only to businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Did you know WHY people are panic buying toilet roll? Seems Wuhan Province have one of the biggest toilet roll manufacturers in China. They also suppled a small part of Northern Australia. When the factory had to close, toilet roll in that part of NA became scarce so people panic bought. They took videos which went viral and sheep all over the world followed suit. Madness, madness, they call it madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Folks in terms of panic, is it still safe to drop to the local takeaway for food?
    I'm so apprehensive

Lidil are actively hiring right now.
    Warehouse and shop floor workers.
    The chicken/eggs thing isn't helped by an outbreak of avian flu that isn't getting much coverage.

It's hard to get plain flour though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

aoh wrote: »
    Did you know WHY people are panic buying toilet roll? Seems Wuhan Province have one of the biggest toilet roll manufacturers in China. They also suppled a small part of Northern Australia. When the factory had to close, toilet roll in that part of NA became scarce so people panic bought. They took videos which went viral and sheep all over the world followed suit. Madness, madness, they call it madness!!

Ireland has two indigenous Toilet Roll manufacturers, one in Finglas and one in Slane.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-toilet-paper-manufacturer-struggles-to-meet-unprecedented-demand-1.4202511

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Yeah but the raw materials for it are imported from Portugal and Morocco IIRC so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

italodisco wrote: »
    Folks in terms of panic, is it still safe to drop to the local takeaway for food?
    I'm so apprehensive

I would without hesitation, but I'd use the hand hygiene protocol both ways and after unpacking the meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Thinking of a take away earlier but still would follow guidelines have sanitizer in pocket or car and washing hands with soap and water before any meal or more important when getting into your house.
    Remember the safety guide lines stay further apart and dont all squeeze into a small space as you might have to q outside for a few more minutes to keep everyone safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I see Blanch is getting some stick on their FB page for not shutting up shop completely during these strange days.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah but the raw materials for it are imported from Portugal and Morocco IIRC so....

Yes indeed and no Chinese connection whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

italodisco wrote: »
    I'm so apprehensive

I was going to go out for some pubgrub on Sunday. Them i thought, what about the staff cooking the meal. What about if one of the people in the kitchen or serving had the virus and coughs near the delph, cutlery, salad, fruit or napkins. I'm buggered.

I've actually heard since of 3 barmen who've gone down with it. Not too surprising really. Imagine trying to order a drink in a crowded noisy pub. Get as near to the barmans ear as you can and shout, X 200+ times in a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭ongarite

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I see Blanch is getting some stick on their FB page for not shutting up shop completely during these strange days.

Just stupid to do that..
    Biggest Dunnes in D15, multiple pharmacies & newsagent, pet & hardware stores.
    People are going to need access to all these and more over the next 2-3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭raheny red

One thing annoyed me yesterday morning, at the M&S end you had to open the doors using handles. Just leave them open!

ongarite wrote: »
    Just stupid to do that..

Was there yesterday morning and it was very quite. No problem with crowds whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

ongarite wrote: »
    Just stupid to do that..

Plus the post office

raheny red wrote: »
    One thing annoyed me yesterday morning, at the M&S end you had to open the doors using handles. Just leave them open!

Err... I just put my forearm to that very door on Monday morning and hey presto it opened.
    No dramas, just common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

What's the supermarkets like today for volume of people. Ongar, roselawn, blanchardstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Phil.x wrote: »
    What's the supermarkets like today for volume of people. Ongar, roselawn, blanchardstown

Can only speak for Aldi in Mulhuddart which I went to at lunchtime today. Well stocked and not overly busy. 3 tills open with only around 3 in each queue and people were leaving gaps to the person in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

The floor in Ongar Dunnes has tape on it in 2m intervals approaching the tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭raheny red

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Err... I just put my forearm to that very door on Monday morning and hey presto it opened.
    No dramas, just common sense.

As did I Pat. I'm thinking of others, the doors aren't exactly light!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

Phil.x wrote: »

Lidl, Clonee around 15:00: Business as usual
    except eggs and the 2 liter bottled mineral water.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

SuperValu in Blanchardstown village is probably the best stocked of the lot. Plenty of water, loo roll, baking supplies, pasta etc. Don't shop there very often but was very impressed the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No soap there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    The floor in Ongar Dunnes has tape on it in 2m intervals approaching the tills.

Not the one in the centre.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hurrache wrote: »
    No soap there though.

Doesn't seem to be soap anywhere for love or money. Oh well, Fairy Liquid is supposed to be kind to your hands. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Zaph wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be soap anywhere for love or money. Oh well, Fairy Liquid is supposed to be kind to your hands. :D

Just back from Tesco, Roselawn and they have some liquid soap (didn't check for bars) Not a great selection and no 2:1 offers etc but at least 2 or 3 varieties.
    Eggs were running very low but still available but otherwise they have what you need if not as well stocked as usual.

They also had a sign up at the entrance advising they were closing at 22:00 until further notice instead of the usual 24:00. Suspect they have staffing issues.

Advertisement