Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

More boring stuff

Where is the action, where is the suspense and most importantly where are the zombies

The last of us needs to jack up the fights and frights or this show is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 32,405 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought that character seemed a bit odd tbh...why are they following her? She didn't seem convincing at all as a leader. But the actress smashed it in yellowjackets so I am sure I will come round to her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

On another show.

You should write it instead of writing in a thread about a show you don't like.

So this an appreciation discussion area only - maybe get someone to change the name of the thread

You should also know that many people are now saying this show is racist and sexist and homophobic in its portrayal of characters. I am going to watch all 4 episodes again later more closely to see if they have a point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Life is very short. If I don't like something to the extent that you appear to dislike TLOU, why watch it, and come on here to complain after every single episode?

And now you're planning to rewatch it because you've heard it's racist, sexist and hompophobic? Why? It makes no sense? If you can see it as racist, sexist or homophobic will it make it more interesting? Better? Or will you just argue that no one should watch this as it's racist, sexist or homophobic?

There's a lot of good tv out there, just watch something else. You could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

So this an appreciation discussion area only - maybe get someone to change the name of the thread

No,and I agree. You are entitled to your opinion. It's not one I share but you are entitled to it of course.

You should also know that many people are now saying this show is racist and sexist and homophobic in its portrayal of characters.

I have not heard this and the game has been out for 10 years. The ONLY change to the game was making Sarah black. All other characters are as portrayed in the game.

I would question what they find racist (Because it is not racist)

I would question what they find sexist (Because it is not sexist)

I would question what they find homophobic. (Because it is not homophobic)

I would question if these "many people" exist at all. I doubt ANYONE has said it is racist, sexist and/or homophobic. You DID see last wee'ks episode, right? Which portrayed a realistic, non-sensationalist portrayal of a homosexual relationship in a beautiful manner. I think this "Many people" is simply false.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,450 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Respectfully, it's more so that you seem to want the show to be something it's not. It's not about the frights, fights, action and suspense. It'll have some of that, sure. But the show and story is about the characters, their journey and their relationships.

If there were big action scenes or fights with the infected in every episode, they'd lose all meaning and the characters (Joel especially) would be borderline superhuman and invincible. The more danger they're in without consequence, the less danger they're actually in. Particularly since really there are only two main characters, they'd have an absurd amount of plot armour.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

There are no zombies in this show, nor were there any in the game.

Maybe you're getting it mixed up with a different show/game.

There was a little tiny bit from one of the cut-scenes in the game included in the last ep, when they're driving in the truck and Ellie says something like "Huh, I'm not even tired." And then it cuts back to her completely conked out.

OK I will leave ye at it, enjoy your show. I don't like mainly because it is boring but also the woke message sprinkled through it.

It's off putting, I know boston well and if there was a real last of us situation our Irish american cousins would take everything and bill and Frank would not last a week.

But hey enjoy

• Advertisement

It doesn't take long for true colours to emerge, does it? Now we know what these "W" word warriors believe (homophobic violence) we can move on and ignore.

Anyway. Back to the show. Remember, on Friday this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Its viewing numbers and early renewal for a season two suggests it doesn't "need" to jack up anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I saw the trailer for this show some time ago and saw how much people who had played the game (I haven't) were hyping it up.

The first two episodes were a bit of a disappointment. I had invested a lot of time into TWD only for that to become total garbage, I can't believe it is still going tbh.

The third episode was some of the best TV I have ever seen. The story, acting, score, it was excellent. The fourth episode was pretty good too, the relationship between the two main protagonists is developing nicely.

I am all in at this point. My only gripe is that although HBO are unparalleled in quality, they don't release all episodes at once!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I'm still loving how non computery the dystopian wasteland looks. Some great overhead panning shots as Joel drove cross country. Excellent special effects.

The kathleen character is a show creation seemingly devised to give Henry and Sam a back story. In the game they were just survivors. Gamers should be familiar with whats under the ground. To be revealed next episode which is due to air Monday as usual. Its only on hbo max earlier because of the superbowl. Sky atlantic schedule isn't effected unfortunately

Ah, it's "woke". Now we see why such dislike for episode 3?

There's nothing woke about this show

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

That was my best episode of the four in my estimation. The most faithful adaption from game so far, despite some deviation. However if the name was not "The Last of Us" I dont think I would continute watching.

The violence of the world is still quite lost in this current iteration, everything is hidden from view which is a shame. The grit of the world just is not there.

Joel and Ellie have now been together a few weeks at this stage right? Joel starts off the episode calling her cargo and warms to her by the end..... Despite what people say, I don't believe they did enough in earlier episodes to capture that growth.

It's middling, fine stuff, but a disappointment all in all considering the source material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭crushproof

Enjoying but I thought Joel would have more cop on, why on earth would you take a freeway that goes right through a city centre rather than go round? I appreciate saving fuel and all but it's obvious that the inner city freeways would full of abandoned vehicles, be potentially be blocked and there would be more chance of ambushes.

I know it adds to the story but it was a fairly lazy plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭trashcan

Went from racist and homophobic to woke pretty quickly didn’t it ?

Im enjoying it. Had no knowledge of the game, and I’ve never seen a full episode of The Walking Dead, not usually my kind of thing. The two central performances are excellent, and please, let there be no more talk of Bella Ramsey being a bad actress. She’s superb. Hadn’t seen her before, and was surprised to discover she’s English.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I loved how they were bonding over daft jokes in the mist of all that danger and tension. Another great episode.

Post edited by Deregos. on

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

This is shaping up to be a pile of steaming dung

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@pc7

Exactly, in both it’s nearly other people and those trying to run things that are worse than the actual threat.

Which is often the point of these zombie apocalypse stories. In other words, the outside threat can be overcome but for our lack of working together.

This was George Romero's point when he, essentially, created the modern zombie.

Not that The Last of Us is a zombie show or anything. But the similarities are there.

Post edited by Tony EH on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There are parts of this series so far that peek my interest, that suggest it can be really good, but I just find Joel and Ellie uncompelling characters and since they are the main protagonists that's a problem.

I'm not quite sure if it's the actors that are the problem, but I find Joel to be unlikeable and uninteresting. He speaks in monotone and sometimes I can't even make out what he's saying. And that face. Also it is always a pet hate of mine to see teenagers behaving like adults, I've always hated that in anything. Ellie is really irritating with that ballsy attitude, and that face as well. I couldn't care less if they both died a horrible death.

I don't think they were well cast is what I'm saying. Well that's what I hope is the problem anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,325 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pretty sure Romero never made a zombie movie 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They think the show is both homophobic and woke at the same time.

It's best to ignore them. OTPs (One Trick Ponies). Woke is past tense of wake. That's all you need to know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is actually one thing of the show I'm so-so about. The set design is fantastic - things like the hotel set in episode two, which have a really decaying, abandoned feel. But I do think the compositing and CG work is pretty iffy. I don't blame the artists, as TV means less time and less money than film. But things like the crashed plane in the distance in episode three look really unconvincing IMO in that very 'TV' sort of way. Any of the shots that show a wider angle of the environment (like some of the highway vistas this episode) tend to be quite a bit less convincing than the physical set work.

In that sense, I think it naturally suffers from being translated from a game where it's much easier to build a cohesive visual experience as you're working solely with computer-generated elements so viewer/player expectations are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,691 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gotta say I'm finding this a bit of a chore,

I'm still watching i'll give it a few more episodes but its not great at all ,

I loved Pascal in Narco's, GOT & so on but in this he is incredible wooden & boring

My only issue is that, after 20 years, things would be much more overgrown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I'm convinced im looking at old school special effects which is no bad thing because we all prefer the look of original Star Wars over the prequels. If there are imperfections in the vfx work , then it only served to achieve that old school visual aesthetic.

Give me sights like this (a painting) over heavy cgi / green screen any day. lol. (Bram Stoker's Dracula btw)

Advertisement