Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Wedges

• 04-03-2020 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ kod12

Anyone know outside of the usual main stores where is good to get a new set of wedges at a decent price.

Is buying used wedges off adverts advisable if they are worn compared to new grooves etc

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭ willabur

nothing spins like a wedge that is brand new out of the wrapper

but that doesn't last super long. You'll find Titleist Vokey SM7 for about 120 per club right now (brand new) - if you buy more than one they will give a discount (if you ask)

Just beware that they will play like a decent second hand club within 5-10 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭ callaway92

I think the best insight on the above was a question from an audience member on one of those Sky Sports masterclass things to Padraig Harrington.

He asked Padraig how often he changes his wedges and Harrington said Weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ Rippeditup

McGuirks where doing Vokey SM7 for a good price of late, got 46, 52, 56 and 60s.. they do online and are very quick also.

Golfbidder always have older models and in good or new condition is a option for searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭ Russman

You can be lucky or unlucky with second hand wedges. Actually its not even really luck, its just you need to inspect the grooves before buying. I know I've often bought new wedges and not liked them after 1 or 2 rounds (sometimes even just half an hour spent chipping around a green is enough for me to dislike one, I'm very picky when it comes to wedges !) and I've had no problem shifting them on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭ redzerdrog

Anyone aware of anywhere with good deals on wedges at the minute?

Also there was an article linked here a while back that gave a great explanation of the different bounce and grinds of wedges and type of conditions and player they suit. I cant find it anywhere though. Anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement

Still can get sm7 titleist vokey wedges at a good price brand new in the main shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭ joebloggs32

callaway92 wrote: »
    I think the best insight on the above was a question from an audience member on one of those Sky Sports masterclass things to Padraig Harrington.

He asked Padraig how often he changes his wedges and Harrington said Weekly.

I have two wedges in my bag now for 30 years, and they were part of a second hand set!

I changed my irons 10 years ago but kept hold of the pitching wedge and sand wedge.
    Safe to say my local golf shop does not see me too often. I must confess I have started to look at new wedges, but I won't be changing my 30 year old putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ Ceepo

Can wedges be re grooved.
    If so should they.

I've seen some of the star shaped re groovers online. Are they any good or is it a bad job to use them

Id be wary of using those sharpeners, they'd likely make your clubs non conforming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ Ceepo

willabur wrote: »
    Id be wary of using those sharpeners, they'd likely make your clubs non conforming

Thanks.

But for the greenhorn.. Why is that.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement