Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PB Targetting order

• 01-03-2020 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to beat some of my PBs this year for the 5k (22:34),10k (51 mins) and the half marathon (1:56) but am unsure which order I should try to tackle them in.

(The 10k one is a pretty soft one so I dont think that would be too difficult in comparison to the others.)

The one I'd really like to improve the most is my 5k but I was thinking that if I started with the longer distances the extra mileage involved in training for these would help with the other PBs. Is this correct??

I set my 5k pb after training for a marathon in 2018 and wasnt doing anything specific to 5ks at the time but now i'm lucky to get in the 23 minute mark.

I know I need to put some speed work in which I've never really done so I've looked up a couple of 5k plans but im thinking instead of just concentrating on the 5k would it be smarter to work my way down from the half, 10k then 5k??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Exactly Work on the half marathon. To beat that you need a good aerobic fitness base which will involve a decent amount of mileage. Once you crack that you'll have a great starting point and after a few recovery days you should be able to do a few speed sessions and then break the 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'd say your HM is soft too. I have a similar 5k (22:42) and my HM is 1:48. I've never trained specifically for 5k but i did train for the HM by following a specific plan over 14 weeks. Focus on the HM, get yourself running consistently 4-5 days per week, lots of easy/aerobic miles, a longer run and some tempo work. Follow it up with a short 10k block and that time will drop too.

Out of interest i put your 5k time into the training pace calculator that i use and it gives a corresponding 10k time of 47:00.9 and HM is 1:44:20. So those are the times that with the right aerobic base and specific race training you should be in a position to aim for ;)

Advertisement