Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1pm ,great share in the heat today

Belmullet 24 degrees
    Claremorris 24 degrees
    Mount Dillon24 degrees
    Mullingar 24 degrees
    Shannon 24 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Hearing it’s 25 around Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

20 in D9. As someone who enjoys proper heat, these spells of fine weather leave me fairly jealous of those further inland on days like today! I'm rather surprised we are several degrees behind the likes of North Kildare as the breeze is really light today. Will surely knick a 21 or 22 degrees here by 4 or 5pm if it stays this light.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

John.Icy wrote: »
    20 in D9. As someone who enjoys proper heat, these spells of fine weather leave me fairly jealous of those further inland on days like today! I'm rather surprised we are several degrees behind the likes of North Kildare as the breeze is really light today. Will surely knick a 21 or 22 degrees here by 4 or 5pm if it stays this light.

I'm in D5, if you're somewhere out of the wind it's lovely and warm, doesn't get much better than this in Dublin!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ireland definitely getting warmer today generally than the UK especially in western parts. Temperatures across the east and south down by a few degrees due to sea breezes.

temp_uk.png

• Advertisement

I'm in D5, if you're somewhere out of the wind it's lovely and warm, doesn't get much better than this in Dublin!

I'd disagree personally tbh! The weather is nonetheless beautiful but 19/20 degrees is just not that exceptional, it's achieved often enough in Dublin even in not so good summers. My back yard is sheltered enough from all sides but the gentle breeze is still fresh and cool. World of difference between 20 degrees and 25 degrees. I'd miss living in S.Kildare big time in times like this. Each to their own of course, I acknowledge this is warm/hot and perfect to many! I'd just like a little more heat. Too early with this type if setup though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

24.4°c in west Clare, got to 24.9°c earlier. Would be much warmer if it wasn't for the stubborn high cloud overhead.

Depends where you are in Dublin, it’s 24 degrees right now at casement weather station. 26 degree at mount Dillon and Newport at 3pm
    I'd disagree personally tbh! The weather is nonetheless beautiful but 19/20 degrees is just not that exceptional, it's achieved often enough in Dublin even in not so good summers. My back yard is sheltered enough from all sides but the gentle breeze is still fresh and cool. World of difference between 20 degrees and 25 degrees. I'd miss living in S.Kildare big time in times like this. Each to their own of course, I acknowledge this is warm/hot and perfect to many! I'd just like a little more heat. Too early with this type if setup though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gorgeous weather in my part of Dublin. 20°C according to our nearest weather station but feels warmer. And that breeze. 😍

My mother-in-law lives in the midlands and she actually found it too hot to sunbathe. And she used to live in Spain! Maybe to do with humidity? The sea breeze is making it very pleasant here though.

3pm
    Newport Co.Mayo 26 degrees
    Mount Dillon 26 degrees

• Advertisement

I think it’s 27 degrees in Maynooth, no official met station there though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

24.9°c in N Kildare

It was 24°C at Casement at 15:00. Most definitely not typical Dublin weather. It’ll naturally be a bit cooler by the sea but most of the city isn’t by the sea.

It was 24°C at Casement at 15:00. Most definitely not typical Dublin weather. It’ll naturally be a bit cooler by the sea but most of the city isn’t by the sea.

Well I wasn't arguing what 24 degrees was, I said 19/20 was nothing exceptional for Dublin and we hit that most summers - don't see the issue with that statement. I'd agree that 24 degrees, especially at this time of year with an East breeze is very good for West Dublin and of much rarer occurrence than 19-20 degrees.

Aside; PP came in at 3pm at 20 degrees but reading 22.4 currently. Nice jump there. Is there an issue with the Glasnevin Botanic gardens stations? Only shows half the time on the wow site and has been registering plenty of rain the last few days, it it useless or are the temperature readings at least accurate? EDIT; the other central Dublin station is reading 23.8 and a SW wind now, might explain the sudden jump. The owner on here I believe the other day said a SW breeze gets a really good fohn going for his area.

Well I wasn't arguing what 24 degrees was, I said 19/20 was nothing exceptional for Dublin and we hit that most summers - don't see the issue with that statement. I'd agree that 24 degrees, especially at this time of year with an East breeze is very good for West Dublin and of much rarer occurrence than 19-20 degrees.

My point is it’s hotter then you said it was in Dublin.

4pm
    Mount Dillon Roscommen 26 degrees.

25 degrees at casement in Dublin at 4pm. It is the second hottest location after Mount Dillon. However Newport had hit 26 but has dropped to 25. It shows how random and localised weather is that Dublin as a county is quite small but yet at Dublin airport it is 20 degrees, at Phoenix Park it is 23 degrees and at Casement it is 25 degrees. It really does make a big difference just travelling 10-20km.

I wonder might Mount Dillon reach 27.

My point is it’s hotter then you said it was in Dublin.

At the time in point, my area was 19/20 degrees, Phoenix Park was 20. I absolutely made no claim that every other inch of Dublin was the same temperature as my little ol' D9 :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

25 degrees at casement in Dublin at 4pm. It is the second hottest location after Mount Dillon. However Newport had hit 26 but has dropped to 25. It shows how random and localised weather is that Dublin as a county is quite small but yet at Dublin airport it is 20 degrees, at Phoenix Park it is 23 degrees and at Casement it is 25 degrees. It really does make a big difference just travelling 10-20km.

For sure. There's often a big different in temps between PP and DA - especially in set-ups like this. There's often a big difference between both stations at night too.

DA bizarrely often records some of the lowest day time temps because of the sea breeze but then some of the lowest night time temps as well.

It's good to see Dublin widely above 20c though - really feared the sea breeze would peg temps back far more. Hopefully it remains like this for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like max could have been reached

26.6 at Mt Dillion

Local stations may be little higher but won’t get that data until later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Where can you get the exact figure for Mt Dillon?

At the time in point, my area was 19/20 degrees, Phoenix Park was 20. I absolutely made no claim that every other inch of Dublin was the same temperature as my little ol' D9 :confused::confused:

Well, the nearest station to me is Phoenix Park. We’re very close to it and it’s nowhere near a typical Dublin summer’s day where I am, even when their reading was 20°C. I’d be amazed if it wasn’t a higher temperature than that in my local park, a mere 2kms from the Phoenix Park.

I think Phoenix park reached 23 degrees today. Casement was warmer at 25

quote="Obvious Desperate Breakfasts;113576610"]Well, the nearest station to me is Phoenix Park. We’re very close to it and it’s nowhere near a typical Dublin summer’s day where I am, even when their reading was 20°C. I’d be amazed if it wasn’t a higher temperature than that in my local park, a mere 2kms from the Phoenix Park.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Where can you get the exact figure for Mt Dillon?

Its available privately to Met Éireann

I think Phoenix park reached 23 degrees today. Casement was warmer at 25

Later on, yeah. I was out and about earlier when it was reading 20°c but it felt way warmer than that, even with a decent breeze.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Its available privately to Met Éireann

It really is shocking that they won't put decimalised temperatures freely available to the public...

It really is shocking that they won't put decimalised temperatures freely available to the public...

They have decimalised temperatures on the Yesterday's Weather reports. There may be some reason why that's not available on the Latest Weather reports.

They have decimalised temperatures on the Yesterday's Weather reports. There may be some reason why that's not available on the Latest Weather reports.

There is no reason other than laziness. Every other service can do it. Met Éireann need to look northwestwards to Iceland to learn how to provide a proper public website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The sea breeze probably gets counteracted by the urban heat island effect by the time it reaches Casement I would guess. Whereas the airport gets the wind straight off the sea

Lovely here in Donegal, no station but nearest reading around 25C all afternoon. Sky is increasingly hazy which should hopefully make for some nice colours towards sunset

• Advertisement

There is no reason other than laziness. Every other service can do it. Met Éireann need to look northwestwards to Iceland to learn how to provide a proper public website.

Why do you need to know the exact decimal point so bad? It’s such an odd thing to get het up about.

Advertisement