Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yup

Al we hear is how "bad" Labour will be and honestly we'll fix everything if you just give us another 5 years because the last 14 years haven't been enough.

FFS sunak sat down yesterday and promised a grieving woman that he would get legislation passed before summer recess knowing full well that it was never going tonhappen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're in the UK. Your choice is a Tory government under Sunak or whoever comes next in the shambolic parade of ineptitude that is the Tory leadership, or a Labour government under Starmer. That's not a difficult choice to make.

It may be depressing that that is the choice, but this is not a state of affairs for which you can blame Starmer. The British seem to like it that way.

"hand picked by the establishment"

I think you may have meant to post this in the conspiracy theory forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

For Labour that's a significant improvement on the last leader, who managed to inspire voters to get out and vote for the Tories simply to keep him out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-69052507

Rwanda flights will only happen if you re-elect us is quite the election strategy to lead off with.

• Advertisement

Farage has bottled it, I guess 7 previous losses was too much for him.

He's off to work on the Trump campaign and make as much $$$ as he can, hopefully Trump screws him over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sounds like he is saying that the British election isn't of "huge global significance"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Shoog

You can tell it that way if you like, but the last leader was subjected to abuse and lies from every corner of the establishment with the Guardian leading the charge. He didnt stand a chance of been assessed honestly by a gas lighted public.

My favourite thing in all this so far and maybe my favourite thing all year has been the Tory backbenchers crying about being forgotten and betrayed by Sunak for not giving them time to prepare for life after their incoming unemployment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think they do. I hear more and more discontent about FPTP these days than I recall hearing a decade ago. You yourself even referenced the 2011 referendum. Obviously, that wasn't for a PR system but the fact that it even happened is remarkable.

No red flag quite like borrowing tropes from Farage and Trump. It's the hallmark of extreme ideologies.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

An embarrassment to the entire nation.

But dear old dad wasn't much better TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

These absolute scumbags are going to be annihilated, and thankfully very soon.

60 odd seats. Hopefully at least a decade in opposition.

Never known a political party that is as racist and as inebt as this lot.

I wonder would Penny be interested in the job after the latest muppett is turfed out.

Unfortunately in a two horse race, that's the choice.

I've no faith that Starmer's Labour will do anything substantive to change Britons lives for the better, but after the destructive decade+ of Tory disaster politics, it'll be "better" by simply existing. If they even reduce the number of people relying on food banks, it'll be a win.

You never know, maybe Keir will fuck off after a while and Ange might get the gig. I'd rather see her as leader than him, truth be told.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You win elections here by dominating the centre. Tony Blair, David Cameron and now, Sir Keir have proven that. It took me a while to accept this but it's true.

I don't think the tabloids and the other rags, including the Guardian are anywhere near as powerful as some make out. It's been something like a century since a government won more than half the vote. Johnson got 42.6% in 2019 if memory serves. Most people voted for pro-Remain parties but such is the British electoral system.

I expect Starmer to play it extremely safe for the first year or two before becoming quite radical. It's what the first New Labour government did and, Iraq aside, it worked quite well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Of course, it's everyone else's fault that Corbyn made himself unelectable as PM.

His absolute bottling of both the Brexit referendum campaign and it's aftermath; his tolerating and turning a blind eye to anti-semitism; pandering to Russia repeatedly, including after the Salisbury poisonings (which is something he's continued out of leadership, even after the Ukraine invasion).

Being blunt about it - in an Irish context much of his views and positions align quite closely with the likes of Mick Wallace. Would anyone consider Mick Wallace to be a suitable leader for a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Didn't fancy losing to a dolphin again I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Waiting for the tories to take a hammering before trying to take over the party maybe?

He didn't bottle it, he actively sabotaged the Labour remain campaign run by Alan Johnson. He'd spent his career voting against every piece of pro-EU legislation which is fair enough but then he had the gall to pretend to support Remain and he gave it seven out of ten in an interview.

I'd forgotten about Salisbury as well. Thanks for reminding me. Mick Lynch came out for Russia in 2022. As bad as the Tories are, they at least got a portion of the foreign policy stuff right.

H. H. Asquith

Dominate the centre but just don't let it go to your head and call for Brexit or obliterate Iraq. That's the key to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The problem with the likes of Corbyn and Lynch are they are entrenched in their anti NATO/US imperialism view so hard that they end up supporting even worse evils like putin. The world is simply not that black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's NHS Susan and Factcheck UK all over again.

H. H. Asquith

I'm sick of this nonsense on here from some people. Corbyn didn't "turn a blind eye to antisemitism", he threw people out of the party for merely having an ACCUSATION against them. Most of which were absolute bullshit. He simply couldn't win against that type of underhanded politicking. As soon as he came out in favour of a Palestinian state, his days were numbered and you can see the same type of tactics being used by Israel and their shills today. The only difference is that the majority of the world are against what Israel is doing in Gaza at the moment and have woken up to the reality of what is going on over there under the likes of criminals like Netanyahu.

There was a couple of hundred ACCUSATIONS of so called "antisemitism" against Labour party members out of a membership of hundreds of thousands, one of which was even dead and some weren't even Labour Party members. Less than 0.4% of the PLP (less than the national average) had the fingers pointed at them and, more often than not, the accusation was fact and evidence free.

Any claim that was made against a Labour party member was investigated, even the he said/she said rubbish that made up most of the claims were taken seriously and a lot of time was wasted on it, when better things could have been done instead. It got to a point where anyone who had a finger pointed at them got reprimanded and put under suspension while they were "investigated" and if there any kind of tangible evidence at all, they were immediately expelled from the party.

The whole thing was bloody absurd and a sickening example of the type of dirty politics that plagues Britain at the moment.

That a man like Jeremy Corbyn, who has done more than anyone on this thread to fight against racism of all forms, including antisemitism, is now considered to be antisemitic by many people is truly a disgusting situation and a prime example of how rampant lies can damage people.

The Economist are predicting the following:

The central scenario of The Economist’s prediction model, which draws from polls and the results in individual constituencies in elections dating back to 1959, is that Labour will win 381 seats to the Tories’ 192 (see chart), a thumping majority of 112 mps. The model gives less than a 1% chance that the Conservatives would win a majority of seats if an election were held tomorrow. 

H. H. Asquith

Yeah I dont think thats gonna happen. They might be correct with the labour number but i think they are vastly underestimating how many seats reform will be able to nick from the tories.

Reform won't get many seats. Remember that UKIP at the peak of their powers got 12.6% in 2015 and were rewarded with a sole MP, Douglas Carwell. Reform are polling at similar numbers. Their goal is to further radicalise the Conservatives, not win power.

H. H. Asquith

Ohh I know but i think reform have been cleverer and are a bit more focused in specifically vulnerable seats. Im prepared to be very surprised by how many seats they manage to get.

It won't matter. Few care about local elections but in national ones, they cleave rather strongly to their traditional party. Most of the UK haven't heard of Reform, I'd say.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I wouldn't expect Reform to take any seats from the Tories, but they could certainly help send several towards the Lib Dems. That suggested figure of just 22 seats (58 at most) for the Lib Dems against about 200 for the Tories seems to be very pessimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Great comment on that in the Guardian yesterday:

melancholyMotel
    16 hours ago

So, onto the 5th of July. Here's what I want[wish] for those Tory MPs, kicked out the commons and after a good cry in a sports hall at 3am, particularly those of them, like me, who are 50 plus, to experience...

I want them to have to face the system they've created.
    The system they've overseen and inflicted on the population.
    I want them to experience the process of navigating the benefits system they've created; to come face-to-face with a Job Coach, at a Job Centre and place themselves into the hands of the DWP.
    I want them to be told they can't have anything because they have too much in savings, or because they're with a partner, and they must support them.

I want them to experience the five-week wait for the first payment, and then to see just how they manage on £84.09 a week.
    I want them to have to go through the relentless grind of trying to find a meaningful job, something that leads to a new career - or even picking up an old one - and finding door, after door, after door closed to them.

I want them to be faced with the threat of sanctions if they don't find a job in four weeks, even though they don't receive their first payment for five weeks.

To present themselves in the beauty pageant of the interview process, when they're in no fit state to do so. The time spent, the hopes that they built, and the effort put in, in preparation, are considerable, yet walking into each interview each time expecting to fail, because they've already been rejected. To experience the pressure you put yourself under when that job is the only path you can see out of the abyss you're in?

I want them to discover what it's like to try to sleep with hunger gnawing at their stomach. What it's like to have to decide between eating today - or putting the heating on. What it's like to face the humiliation of presenting yourself to a 'Work Coach' and explain how hard you've been trying to find a job in a market where they're too old, too experienced, or not experienced enough in that specific role they're looking for, or that they're one of 40 or 50 applicants for a job; knowing it's utterly hopeless and, anyway, by then they're so beaten down by it all that even the most menial role out there they now doubt their ability to undertake because their self-esteem and confidence are gone.

I want them to have to accept a job, that's 90 minutes journey from their home, on minimum wage, which means they still need to claim benefits to top up their earnings at a cost to the taxpayer, because their employer is more interested in maximising their profit. than paying their staff a fair wage.

I want them to discover, when they want us all to work until we're 70, that nobody wants to employ us after we're 50.

I want them to discover that they won't be 'languishing' on benefits, that finding a dentist, getting a GP appointment, or relying on public services is a hopeless exercise.
    I want them to go around the supermarket with a calculator, adding up what they are picking up, so they don't overspend, and I want them to feel the shame of having to put the banana back at the checkout, because it's just tipped the balance over the maximum you can afford.

I want them to experience what it's like to be afraid to open the post. To be afraid of knocks at the door, afraid of calls from numbers they don't recognise. to lose all self-confidence, all optimism. To have no self-esteem or dignity. A self-loathing that's hard to deal with.

I want them to have to navigate the utterly broken housing market, I want them to have to try to find a property that they can afford, and that isn't going to to cost more than they might receive in housing benefit.

I want them to have to sell personal belongings, just to bridge the gap between the pittance they have to live on, and what they need to have a semblance of a life.

I want them to experience this, the misery of the poverty and situation they've visited up those with the least, the lives they live, and how punching down has been the order of the day for far too long, when there are people who are gliding along, with untold amounts of money, and getting richer and richer.

And then I want to hear them still defend their actions, and still blame the people with the least for all the woes of the people with the most.

I know it's a forlorn dream but, God, I wish viscerally that it would happen.

Oh, and finally. Sunak's also a b'stard for upstaging the incredibly brave Craig Mackinlay on the day he returned to Parliament, as a quadruple amputee Sepsis survivor. I may not agree with his politics, but I admire his courage.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement