Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign wedding and coronavirus

Options
  • 26-02-2020 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all,

Getting married in Spain in May. While I know right now there isn’t a huge issue in Spain, it’s only a matter of time before they start seeing a rapid increase in cases.

What I’m wondering is how this might affect our wedding. We will have some guests who are 60 and over and also some with young children, both being at risk from the virus. Will travel be shut down?

Is there any insurance you can get in the event of this or would it be considered an act of God?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

jamesf85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Getting married in Spain in May. While I know right now there isn’t a huge issue in Spain, it’s only a matter of time before they start seeing a rapid increase in cases.

What I’m wondering is how this might affect our wedding. We will have some guests who are 60 and over and also some with young children, both being at risk from the virus. Will travel be shut down?

Is there any insurance you can get in the event of this or would it be considered an act of God?

I would say the only thing you can do for now is keep up to date with the Dept of Foreign Affairs. They will have details if anything changes:

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/spain/

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm looking into getting wedding insurance at the moment. I'm not panicked about the virus as I assume that Ireland will have cases of it at some point and everywhere in Europe will too but it could have an effect on supply chain in general so while it's unlikely to affect my wedding day itself, I was going to get insurance anyway just in case.

I'm more worried about the honeymoon. It's in Europe and they've only one or two cases so far but who knows by the summer. I've travel insurance which will cover if Dept Foreign Affairs issue a notice advising not to travel to that area. Most travel insurances have that clause, though a colleague and I were comparing his annual policy to my single trip one and the cover for epidemics was not on mine (or any other one online I could see) but his had that clause. Though we think that his renewal one won't.

Sorry about the Sky news link but this might be helpful:
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-you-should-do-if-youre-heading-abroad-on-holiday-11943019

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I must check our travel insurance policies in more detail... I can see them finding any excuse not to pay out though.

OP look into wedding insurance if you don't already have it. Although they might not pay out for something that is a known risk at the time of getting the insurance.

We're planning our honeymoon straight after the wedding for late Sept / early Oct, but haven't booked anything yet as we're too indecisive. I'm even more confused than ever now though, as it's hard to know where might be a safe bet! Especially at that time of year, as it'll be the beginning of a new cold/flu season, so things could kick off again then.

Obviously we've no way of knowing how things will pan out, but I'd speculate that things will die down over the summer time in Europe. That's purely based on the pattern for other viruses/flu! Who knows with this thing though...

Speaking of the supply chain, I was in a panic about this last night:
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-warning-of-wedding-dress-shortage-in-uk-as-china-shuts-factories-11943710
    I wouldn't have even thought about that! I contacted my bridal boutique and they said that my dress should come in in early June, a good 3 months before the wedding. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for now :/ I've heard of some brides who are having horrible trouble atm though with dresses potentially not arriving on time for weddings in the near future.

Advertisement