Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DagdaIreland

Thanks - that doesn't surprise me - but I was hoping someone would suggest something more optimistic.. 😁

If the numbers were closer (32k v 28k say) it might still be worth it for the wider choice, better spec, better condition, lower mileage car... But can't afford more than 30k on a 15 year old car that'll cost me over 2.k a year in tax and insurance! 🙄

Still strange that Revenue don't quote for Porsches, but I guess they don't have every car/model in the calculator..

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NCT centre will only have the stat code if someone imported a similar car recently. I cannot imagine many importing a similar car too often unless it's old enough to be a classic. If they don't have a stat code then you will need to present the car for VRT inspection and they will request a figure from Revenue. Your at the mercy of Revenue's valuation at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Well thats how much it would cost. Anything less than that is being too optimistic and probably won’t happen.

Theres one on Donedeal for €26.5k, so VRT will be 41% of that. (€10,850)

Customs duty and VAT is 35.3% of the £18k purchase price. (€7,500)

You also have tax, nct, shipping, customs broker fees.

Importing cars like this from the UK is no longer financially viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Are there any cars that are financially viable to import from the UK anymore? I'm on the look out for a 172 diesel 5 series but I'm doubting it'll be a anyway viable even looking in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

Sorry to ask this probably asked 100 times already.

Is there VAT to be paid on a 2021 car imported from Northern Ireland if the car was first registered in NI and never left there?

• Advertisement

No and no ^

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'm interested in buying a 2016 reg Isuzu Dmax (2.5 litre, king cab 160BHP) from the North. The owner is a private seller but VAT registered to the best of my knowledge. I'm 99% sure it's a northern reg jeep from new. The jeep itself would cost around €15,000, what additional costs have I to factor in when re-registering it in the Republic. Thank you in advance.

Are motorbikes liable for vat and customs or is it just vrt?

Anything from the UK is liable for vat and customs, unless exempt.

• Advertisement

OK thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dasein

Quick one lads ... what constitutes a "northern ireland" registered car?

I'm looking at one that has resided in the North for almost a decade - but is on a personal plate not the usual NI plate - would that be a NI import and free of the double VAT?!

Cheers!

As long as it was registered in the North before 1st Jan 2021 then it should not attract VAT and import duty. Personal plate should make no difference.

It's had all its MOTs in NI since 2014 - so it should be fine.

I couldn't find any definition of "registration" on the Revenue site, so thank you 👍

Registration refers to the address the car is registered to

Thank you again, forum a great help as per 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

What about a car that was registered in England from new and then registered in NI 4 years ago. If i buy the car would i also have to pay VAT and import duty or is it okay because it's been in the north the last few years and just liable for VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

You quoted the answer from Bazz 😏

To repeat, No. you’ll be fine once it’s been registered in NI BEFORE 1/1/21. It matters not where it was registered before that or where it was registered at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Hi All,

Possibly been asked before but I am looking at a 2016 car for sale in NI. The car is originally on a NI plate but has been on a private plate. I know there is no VAT due but do I still need to provide proof the car was registered in NI prior to 1/1/21? Or is the fact it is an original NI reg ASZ XXXX enough? I see on the VRT FAQ it has the below but what if you can't provide proof of tax or insurance? If the seller doesn't have these?

6. Registering vehicles from Northern Ireland (NI)

Registering vehicles brought into Northern Ireland before 1 January 2021

A vehicle brought into Northern Ireland (NI) before 1 January 2021 and has remained there since, can be registered in the State with no customs obligations.

However, proof on the vehicle’s status in Northern Ireland prior to 1 January 2021 will be required, for example:

• a ferry ticket showing the date of arrival in NI, and which clearly identifies the specific vehicle
    • a copy of an invoice from a transport company identifying the vehicle and delivery date
    • tax and insurance details indicating use in NI

or

• a copy of the V5 showing the last registered keeper in NI and a date of registration to that keeper prior to 1 January 2021.

Thanks

The address on the V5 is proof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

The current owner didn’t own the car prior to 1/1/21 so how does that work? Do they need to have been the owner then?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭huud

Hi all,

Can I please confirm what is written here Importing a vehicle from Great Britain (GB) or Northern Ireland (revenue.ie)

That if a car was registered in Northern Ireland before the 1st of Jan 2021 and this is proven with documents then there is no Custom Duty, VRT, and VAT on it ?

Or am I missing something ?

The only thing I can think of concern is the bolded text in sentence below:

"Under the VAT rules currently in force in the UK, vehicles first registered in Great Britain and imported into Northern Ireland after 31 December 2020 are liable to"

Point being is it a MUST that a vehicle be registered in GB 1st and then in NI before 1st Jan 2021 for NO Customs Duty, VRT, and VAT to be applicable ?

If the car is a NI registered car then it must have been registered in NI before 01/01/21 to be exempt from duty and VAT. If it originally was registered in mainland UK and then brought over and registered in NI, again it would need to have been registered in NI before 01/01/21 to be exempt from duty and VAT here. Anything registered in NI from 01/01/21 onwards being imported here is subject to duty and VAT.

When it comes to duty and VAT, it's not the original date of first regististation they go by, it needs to have been registered in NI before 01/01/21 to avoid duty and VAT. VRT applies to all cars being imported unless you qualify for a VRT exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EamonnAnChnoic

Hi.

I’m returning from UK to Ireland on a permanent basis next year after 9 years residing there.

i want to buy a Audi Q7 (08-15 reg) before I return.

Has anyone a checklist of things I will need to have for revenue, tips etc

And what is the cheapest way to clear the vehicle, I should get it cleared less the VRT due to moving home. I’m also considering converting it from 7 seater to crewcab to obtain commercial tax, is it possible to do this prior to clearing the vehicle to avoid paying higher tax

any help is appreciated. 

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I'm buying a 2019 car from Bavarian in Belfast - it was originally sold from new by them to an NI resident and the V5 shows the previous NI keeper but it's dated April this year. Will this be OK or do I need something else when registering it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Hi I'm looking at buying a car from a reputable dealer in the north. Sold and stayed in the north so no issues there. It's a 2015 qashqai 1.5 diesel acenta premium 110ps. VT says nox is .022 other places say 163. Vrt ranges from 1927-4865. How can I which figure is correct? I have a copy of v5

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Does anyone know what the post-BREXIT VRT situation is with someone relocating from the UK and bringing a car with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭wassie

Read the 3rd post above yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 eddieheffernan74

Two questions is there anything on here about importing a 1978 Volkswagen type 2 camper or Classic car and does it need an NCT

Advertisement