Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No races that can travel intergalactically in star trek

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

And yet the speed of light does change!!
    Safe to say everyone here has just dropped "in a vacuum" because we all know that's what they mean. If we don't have that qualifier just about everyone in the world has traveled faster than light, not counting the movement of the Earth/solar system/galaxy/etc, a lot would even do it multiple times per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Inviere wrote: »
    The good-best minds in Science would go and say FTL is impossible "based on our current understanding". A lot of scientists will just flat out say "it's impossible". Big difference between the two for me.

Well sure... but every statement by a scientist is based on our current understanding, and with the caveat that this understanding may change. If it isn't stated, it is absolutely implied. That's the nature of science. I wouldn't want to be staking my case on that.

Using the argument that science is never settled to justify improbable positions is well-beloved of creationists, flat-earthers and climate change deniers. Certainly not comparing you guys to those muppets, but that's where that rabbit hole leads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Inviere

Well sure... but every statement by a scientist is based on our current understanding, and with the caveat that this understanding may change. If it isn't stated, it is absolutely implied.

I don't agree, for instance some of the things DeGrasse Tyson has come out with made me think for all his intelligence, he seems incredibly closed minded and arrogant at times. A hugely smart and often right individual, but seemingly locked so deeply into established scientific models, he sometimes seems to shun possibilities that conflict with such models. Not always, but I've listened and read content from him that made me feel, well, he's a bit of a knob.
    Using the argument that science is never settled to justify improbable positions is well-beloved of creationists, flat-earthers and climate change deniers. Certainly not comparing you guys to those muppets, but that's where that rabbit hole leads.

Don't forget plenty of scientists are also religious individuals at the same time, and they seem to have no issue shaking off their scientific beliefs when it comes to believing in creationism etc.

I'm not religious, but I also don't see it as a debate between religion versus science....then science just becomes just another model of faith doesn't it? No different to another religion. It should never been seen as that. Science in its strictest form is a provable-model for the things we currently know & understand, we expand on that knowledge all the time, and we're able to predict, prove, and disprove things based on science. However scientists are not universal in their opinions, beliefs, and approach - some are inspirational, some are arrogant, some have agendas, some are rational, some are not. Scientists ≠ Science - people are fallible, science is not. If the science of something is wrong, it is fixed, rewritten, and corrected, that's the beauty of it.

My point in all of this is, yes, FTL would appear to violate our most cherished and fundamental laws of physics. It seems unlikely we'll ever go beyond our solar system and that's damned sad to me. I like to look back on the advances we've made in the last say 300 years, from the beginnings of the industrial revolution, to having probes leave our own solar system - that's damned impressive, damned impressive. We've also gone from bows & arrows, to chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons too...so as our knowledge has grown, so has our flaws. I like to think that over the course of the next one thousand years, we'll continue to develop our understanding, our models, our knowledge at the same rate...and if we can't break the laws of physics, maybe we can get around them or bend them, explore the stars, and 'see what's out there'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

Omnipotent races. A lot of them. Nagilum, the Dowd, a lot of non-coperial individuals we've met. Do they count?

I dnt know if their inter-galaxtic? But worth a discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

FTL is possible depending on your frame of reference. I could go somewhere that's 400 light years away at a speed that's faster than light from my frame of reference in the sense that time would slow down as I approach the speed of light and I wouldn't age as quickly but to an outside observer I would be traveling at sublight speed. So I could reach that star in my lifetime but whoever I was planning to visit there would be long dead as well as everyone I knew back on Earth.

Battlestar Galactica actually covered that quite well during a marathon exposition sequence in season 4.

Omnipotent races. A lot of them. Nagilum, the Dowd, a lot of non-coperial individuals we've met. Do they count?

Stark wrote: »
    FTL is possible depending on your frame of reference. I could go somewhere that's 400 light years away at a speed that's faster than light from my frame of reference in the sense that time would slow down as I approach the speed of light and I wouldn't age as quickly but to an outside observer I would be traveling at sublight speed. So I could reach that star in my lifetime but whoever I was planning to visit there would be long dead as well as everyone I knew back on Earth.

Battlestar Galactica actually costed that quite well during a marathon exposition sequence in season 4.

But... that's our physics. Is our physics the end all. Is our space and time everything?

How long ago was it that Huble changed things? The big bang was certain, its biggest advocate is part of a tink tank trying to figure out what came before it now.

Space and time, we're only babies.

Advertisement