Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bicycle shop in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Best mechanic I’ve ever used is in my own garage! He’s a bit grumpy sometimes, but charges for parts only. He only works on my bikes and is a stickler for cleanliness! (Won’t work on a bike unless it’s spotless! :))

Well, my mechanic was out in the garage last night replacing cables on Mrs Lapierre's bike! Lets just say it was a "learning experience"! first time replacing internal cables and all went smoothly. Cables installed but had difficulty indexing the gears... why? because the inline cable adjuster was on the front derailleur cable instead of the Rear cable! :) rookie mistake. Still, the Park tool cable routing kit that i bought last year came in very handy and will get another outing tonight!

https://www.bike-components.de/en/ParkTool/IR-1-2-Internal-Cable-Routing-Kit-p52345/blue-black-universal-o24100001/?delivery_country=IE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0NLLhIzv5wIVxNDeCh0dYgVIEAQYAyABEgLJ3fD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

No mention for 360 cycles Clontarf?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

whodafunk wrote: »
    No mention for 360 cycles Clontarf?

No

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was by LollipopJimmy in post 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

No

Interesting they used to come highly rated on here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Aegir wrote: »
    I want to get a full on service, I was thinking of the Spokesman who seems to be well regarded.

Anyone here got any experience with him?

I had a poor experience with him. He did a big enough job (> €100) on the brakes on my hybrid. Within a week, they were squeaking again, and I went back to him. He wouldn't even look at it the second time. We didn't even get into any discussion about whether this was an issue with his work or something further was needed. He told me to bring it back to the shop where I bought it.

I haven't gone back to him since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Co worker uses them and swears by them, she knows her stuff although would never do the work herself. Found the clear, consise and no BS upselling

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. Within a week, they were squeaking again....
    Was the noise from the pad contact with the rim or the calipers?

If it was the pads, that's a very easy fix.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And squeaky breaks are not necessarily something that's caused by a poor repair job either. Annoying as hell, but still

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Best mechanic I’ve ever used is in my own garage! He’s a bit grumpy sometimes, but charges for parts only. He only works on my bikes and is a stickler for cleanliness! (Won’t work on a bike unless it’s spotless! :))

If only I had a garage to keep mine in. I have to keep him in the back garden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Expert Cycles Rathfarnham - technically, I haven't found better mechanics

I like Bike Rack Cabinteely too

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Ah yeah, some people here will be happy with their experience, others not. I wouldn't think they're close to being the best bike shop in Dublin personally. I know other people like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Was the noise from the pad contact with the rim or the calipers?

If it was the pads, that's a very easy fix.

Disk brakes, but I've no idea of the problem. That goes way beyond my technical competence.

Just to be clear, I didn't even get to have any discussion with him as to whether the squeaking problem related to the work he had done or was a new issue. He just wouldn't look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Disk brakes, but I've no idea of the problem. That goes way beyond my technical competence....
    Sorry, I wasn't think of disc brakes. I don't have any experience of them but I presume it's trapped dirt or something similar.

Something like this should be easy enough for non-technical cyclists to use.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/swissstop-silencer-disc-brake-service-spray-50ml-30929?delivery_country=71&gclid=CjwKCAiA7t3yBRADEiwA4GFlI7nLq6QHrdhh4wfBuJ7jkCeNlNiPbZyJcaQE6pNZ2rT4h6Jl5Pu9nxoCm4YQAvD_BwE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Bee Cycles, I wouldn't let anyone else touch my bikes.
    I've been to a good few others, and Bee Cycles are just the best.

Advertisement