Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreadlocks vs workplace

Options
  • 22-02-2020 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I was wondering has anyone ever come to contact with such.
    Wanted to get dreadlocks. I had box braids for years. Said it to manager double checking jsut so we are on same page.
    She said for a female no not allowed?
    I'm now confused? How male and female are different regard hairstyle as such?
    My box braids are allways pristine and well looked after?
    It's just strange taht Maggie from 5th is allowed to have neon green hair, yet natural hair dreadlocks are banned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If you’re working in a café or some sort of “hemp” shop they shouldn’t be a problem but hair, like that, has no place in a, normal, “office” environment.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I think there are few places where different hair styles shouldn't be allowed. In an office, why not? As long as the person is clean, respectful of colleagues and there are no issues caused directly by the hair (like ling hair and machinery etc) then why would anyone care?

EDIT: Now I would go on to say that having asked and gotten a push back, it may be worth considering not doing it or going elsewhere. It sucks, but if people are strongly of one opinion, then the friction caused by this will be a bigger issue itself and possibly not worth stressing over..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Very much depends on how they're maintained and looked after. Lad I knew has been a lawyer in the UK and is doing pretty damn well for himself in his career. Long dreaded hair and a full body of tattoos.

It really comes down to his appearance though, his dreads are neat and tied up when he's working, and none of his tattoos are on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

dont see anything wrong until person is clean in general, id imagine its less chance of finding loose hair, now for the types that wear em and shower once a year and look like its supper glued then yes only certain places.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Get it done, keep them clean and tied up in work. This lady looks great with hers tied back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

If you’re working in a café or some sort of “hemp” shop they shouldn’t be a problem but hair, like that, has no place in a, normal, “office” environment.

Hope you are on the wind up otherwise very small minded attitude. There's a lad at work with huge dreads, must be hard from a practical point of view as he has to wear a full gown as it's in a cleanroom. He must sweat like the bejaysus in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Claim to be a rastafarian and you're being discriminated against on the grounds of your religion.

Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I wasnt aware it was 1983.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Things like neck tattoos, dreads, and mullets are lifestyle choices you make. They are a barrier to having a career in many professions. There might be exceptions but they are few and far between.

People who have them might get tetchy about that, but it’s the reality. Rather like how you’re unlikely to get a job in a tattoo parlour if you wear a 3 piece suit and have no tattoos of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Can you ever really get dreads fully clean?
    They're matted hair, all that compressed hair in the tube of hair isn't really getting washed through.
    Im sorry, personally I've never understood the destruction of a good head of hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Can you ever really get dreads fully clean?
    They're matted hair, all that conpressed hair in the tube of hair isn't really getting washed through.
    Im sorry, personally I've never understood the destruction of a good head of hair.

Surely dreads are the natural way our hairs would be without changing it! So you are in fact destroying the natural state of your hair by cutting or using chemicals to clean it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

If your a Dev or QA you can wear dreads. Tech's best.

Things like neck tattoos, dreads, and mullets are lifestyle choices you make. They are a barrier to having a career in many professions. There might be exceptions but they are few and far between.

People who have them might get tetchy about that, but it’s the reality. Rather like how you’re unlikely to get a job in a tattoo parlour if you wear a 3 piece suit and have no tattoos of your own.

And here I was thinking that jobs should be given to the most qualified and suitable applicant.

The fact that a personal choice in appearance doesn't 'fit' a job is rubbish. The same mentality that makes police and soldiers shave in modern times.

I'd it doesn't effect the ability to perform the task, it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

If you’re white please don’t get dreadlocks. Not because of cultural appropriation bs, it just looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

No matter how clean dreads are, there’s always a mild odour from them, like Widders said, you can’t clean them through. I know loads of people who had them.. they look good some people but there’s always a mild whiff off them. However, how you dress / present yourself if you’re not customer facing shouldn’t matter, once it doesn’t impact other work folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

And here I was thinking that jobs should be given to the most qualified and suitable applicant.
    The fact that a personal choice in appearance doesn't 'fit' a job is rubbish. The same mentality that makes police and soldiers shave in modern times.
    I'd it doesn't effect the ability to perform the task, it shouldn't be an issue.
    You make good points.
    The interviewer is the person that decides who gets the job.
    That is another point to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Dreadlocks make a woman look hideous.

I'm sure they all value your opinion and now weep at losing out on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

He's right though, dreds on a woman are awful. Sure sign she'll end up pushing a shopping trolley around and owning 40 cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Yet Nederlands police agents can have dreadlocks, A teller in my old local Rabobank had dreads for **** sake. Its only an issue for judgemental pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Please elaborate.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He's right though, dreds on a woman are awful. Sure sign she'll end up pushing a shopping trolley around and owning 40 cats.

Back in my college days there was a beautiful girl going around with big dreadlocks. They really took away from her looks.

She seemed to have very bad skin around her hairline too, I’m not sure if that was the “dreads” but they’d be my guess as to the cause.

Not sure she’d have gotten away with them in this day and age as she didn’t appear to any “heritage” that would allow them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

With all due respect that’s bollox. No place in a pharma clean room perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Get it done, keep them clean and tied up in work. This lady looks great with hers tied back.

Exactly, nothing wrong with that. I’ve drank and eaten in reputable establishments where staff had dreads, were clean, well presented and friendly.

The ‘no dreads’ in work thing comes from freakish management types who don’t wish to encourage free thinkers, those with an open mind who are not afraid to express themselves and have individuality. They want conformity at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I see no problem with any hairstyle, but have **** tha Police tattooed across your face probably isn't a runner for a someone working in the Four Courts. There are limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kowloon wrote: »
    I see no problem with any hairstyle, but have **** tha Police tattooed across your face probably isn't a runner for a someone working in the Four Courts. There are limits.

What if you just didn’t like any of their albums ? Bit harsh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

That’s the dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

mea_k wrote: »
    I was wondering has anyone ever come to contact with such.
    Wanted to get dreadlocks. I had box braids for years. Said it to manager double checking jsut so we are on same page.
    She said for a female no not allowed?
    I'm now confused? How male and female are different regard hairstyle as such?
    My box braids are allways pristine and well looked after?
    It's just strange taht Maggie from 5th is allowed to have neon green hair, yet natural hair dreadlocks are banned?

Your mistake was asking for permission and her mistake was telling you they were only disallowed for women.

Depends on how much you want to get them and how much you value not rocking the boat at work.

I thought the days of people not being allowed to have tattoos, piercings or unique hairstyles in the workplace were gone. Unless its for health and safety reasons for a particular job (obviously not in your case because men can have them) then I don't see why it should be an issue.

Check your company dress code, mine simply states we've to be of neat appearance in the workplace which leaves it a bit wide open. My idea of neat and someone else's idea of neat could be poles apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Please elaborate.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I wasnt aware it was 1983.

Did you do jazz fingers when typing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Why?

Advertisement