Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I be refused a council house for earning too much?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I paid rent every week, in my last year our weekly rent was €124, our mortgage repayments for the first two years were fixed at €510 per month.

Wish our rent was that cheap on our social house. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Wish our rent was that cheap on our social house. :(

16 years ago 2004.

I wish I could get a council house but unfortunately I’m not clever enough. I work for a living, I don’t get paid enough to buy a house but I earn too much to get one handed to me.

What can I get OP?

Good news, you can get a social house if you work. We've had ours years and it's enabled us to save for a house of our own. Good luck :)

16 years ago 2004.

Ah sorry missed that bit. It's a heck of a lot more now for a working couple :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Good news, you can get a social house if you work. We've had ours years and it's enabled us to save for a house of our own. Good luck :)

Good luck is right. Single white man.

I will always be bottom of the list.

• Advertisement

Ah sorry missed that bit. It's a heck of a lot more now for a working couple :(

True wages have also increased in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I lived in a council house '99 to '04 assessed every year by submitting P60. My mortgage repayments were less on the home we bought in '04.

Thanks for that.

If you believed half of the posters here they'd have you believe that everyone gets free houses for life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Any 'rules' DSP have seem to be a bit lax anyway... a bit too lax if you ask me.

Their imaginary '9 week disqualification' from a social welfare payment if you walk out of a job or are sacked, is basically non existent, despite being on every website/information booklet!

No wonder people take the piss..

I walked out of a job recently (silly me, yes) had been debating it for a few months.

I went to the SW office on the Friday and the claim was approved by the Monday.. no mention of this 9 week disqualification whatsoever.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

If you believed half of the posters here they'd have you believe that everyone gets free houses for life

Yeah I know it's terrible when someone with a little knowledge sheds a little light on the subject. My mortgage was not unusually small, it was €144,000. 7 years left , monthly payments €685 now. If I were still a council tenant it would exceed my present mortgage payments. I know what a tracker mortgage is. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I believe 50k is the threshold but im sure somebody can confirm or deny that.

As far as I remember, up till a couple of years ago it was 36k or so for a couple with 1 or 2 kids. (edit 38.5k apparently)

Surely not as been given a council house isn't based on assessment, getting onto the council list is?

(I would have thought..)

Surely once you're on the council list you're eligible for a council house, until you take yourself off of it or win the lotto ?

Depends what your combined income is...

I mean if your combined income is 40k then I'm sure you're morally still entitled but obviously if someone was being a little greedy and they're combined income was 80/100k a year then I'd be taking myself off of it.

There are ongoing assessments. Often you are asked to fill in an online form to declare yourself still eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Filepio wrote: »
    Thanks for that, nowhere says what the threshold is when offered a property, probably wont be housed for another few years but with everyone help so far I kinda know what to expect now... thanks again.

Depends on your local council/location but the max household income for 2 adults with 2 kids is €38,500. Some councils have lower limits too (for example Westmeath is €27,500) so you really need to check the maximum for your area, but is combined income is over €38,500 (net income) you're probably not eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Filepio

Depends on your local council/location but the max household income for 2 adults with 2 kids is €38,500. Some councils have lower limits too (for example Westmeath is €27,500) so you really need to check the maximum for your area, but is combined income is over €38,500 (net income) you're probably not eligible.

Yeah I had a feeling that might be the case, I think citizens advise have a live chat on their site, I'll have a chat with them on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

I believe those figures are for NET income.... i.e. after tax income, plus some living expenses are also deducted from gross income to reach the qualifying income level.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

If you have no (genuine helpful) advice for the OP. Do not post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

<SNIP>

<snip>

<snip>

Go to the housing office in your LA. You will be assessed on set criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't forget most of those in DCC area that work and earn a good wage are in arrears or not paying the council rent money at all.....

Advertisement