Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAP cuts/ do we have a Taoiseach?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    You out the situation more concise than I could.

Many small farmers who were hardline IFA supporters are disillusioned with the organisation. Massive salaries and expenses, spending more than revenue, yet they think it’s acceptable to raise subs to keep wage increases going.

That behaviour plus the relentless supporting of farms in high direct bps is driving lads away in droves. Many are of the belief that corporations are lining the pockets of IFA brass to push things in a particular direction.

The IFA are faulterimg for the same reason as the outgoing FG government, they have aligned themselves with the needs of the wealthy farmers and are living in a bubble compared to the lives of actual ordinary farmers on the ground.

There is an opportunity now for the IFA to support a new direct payment system that would be fairer, a clean sheet for all, support biodiversity measures and see some money redistribution to smaller marginal farms. But the won’t.

It's those that turnout for the match that play the game,hurling abuse from the sideline is no use, even sad........again.
    Like the Governemnt, if the organisation isn't going the way you think it should, it's probably your own fault for not voting.
    Make no mistake, IFA is farmer driven and directed,That's farmers from 26 counties. They'll be doing their best, if you want more, ask Beef Plan to show you how :cool::D
    As for increase in salaries, college graduates won't work for nothing for IFA just because farmers chose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The other thing the IFA are protecting is armchair farmers renting out their ground and taking the BPS.

The other thing the IFA are protecting is armchair farmers renting out their ground and taking the BPS.

If they are, they're doing a damn bad job.
    You're taking the BPISS now;
    I'll have know there's a farmer out there that'd get no subsidy but for my BPS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭alps

The buzzword is that the payment should go to the "active" farmer. Currently only the "active" farmer claims it. However if a piece of ground has an agricultural worth of €200 and has BP of €150, how much will people bid for the ground?

Is there actually a means of taking the BP away from the non active..seems to me that as long as the land has an agricultural value and some form of BP capacity, the owner will get paid for both..

wrangler wrote: »
    If they are, they're doing a damn bad job.
    You're taking the BPISS now;
    I'll have know there's a farmer out there that'd get no subsidy but for my BPS

I’m just calling it as it is.

The days of renting land, taking the payment and swanning abkut on jollies form the IFA are near and end. Good thing too. The genuine farmers of the country won’t stand for it any more.

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    The buzzword is that the payment should go to the "active" farmer. Currently only the "active" farmer claims it. However if a piece of ground has an agricultural worth of €200 and has BP of €150, how much will people bid for the ground?

Is there actually a means of taking the BP away from the non active..seems to me that as long as the land has an agricultural value and some form of BP capacity, the owner will get paid for both..

There was some doubt the last time as to whether they were entitled to take the entitlements off anyone but they gave concession to allow selling them to the tenants free of VAT,tax and National Reserve dedutions which appeased everyone.
    A lot of armchair farmers lost their subsidies but if they were farming more than 5ha you were allowed keep them all.

I’m just calling it as it is.

The days of renting land, taking the payment and swanning abkut on jollies form the IFA are near and end. Good thing too. The genuine farmers of the country won’t stand for it any more.

I've said that on here, i don't expect it to last, didn't I say I'm losing 22000/yr from next year and I'm not cashing my private pension till next year for that reason.....to take the sting out of losing 22000.

wrangler wrote: »
    I've said that on here, i don't expect it to last, didn't I say I'm losing 22000/yr from next year and I'm not cashing my private pension till next year for that reason.....to take the sting out of losing 22000.

Sensible thinking at your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

I dunno who came up with that active farmer crap cause im more an active farmer than alot i see at ifa meetings,my lands not able to produce 2lu/ha but i keep it well for the common good yet i have minimum per ha entitlements.the only requirement to draw bps is to keep land in gaec, i can guarentee its costs more to farm marginal west ireland land than the plans of meath!last point the cheek of derek d in the farmers journal,i couldve scremed and Id love to see him try and farm my farm yet he wins with quality carlow land and a big bps.alot of us has neither!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I dunno who came up with that active farmer crap cause im more an active farmer than alot i see at ifa meetings,my lands not able to produce 2lu/ha but i keep it well for the common good yet i have minimum per ha entitlements.the only requirement to draw bps is to keep land in gaec, i can guarentee its costs more to farm marginal west ireland land than the plans of meath!last point the cheek of derek d in the farmers journal,i couldve scremed and Id love to see him try and farm my farm yet he wins with quality carlow land and a big bps.alot of us has neither!!

To be honest, it’s all a load of ****e!

Those with high payments want to keep them - fcuk it, why not. I have high payments per Ha, I’d like tho keep them...

Those without, want some. Again, fcuk it, why not - why shouldn’t they get some of the action...

And there it is - there is no right and wrong, good and bad, it’s just haves and have-nots... depending on where you fall, that will determine your perspective...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

To be honest, it’s all a load of ****e!

Those with high payments want to keep them - fcuk it, why not. I have high payments per Ha, I’d like tho keep them...

Those without, want some. Again, fcuk it, why not - why shouldn’t they get some of the action...

And there it is - there is no right and wrong, good and bad, it’s just haves and have-nots... depending on where you fall, that will determine your perspective...
    Fair enough point but i see teachers strick because of equal pay for equal work,maybe us marginal farmers should cry the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Fair enough point but i see teachers strick because of equal pay for equal work,maybe us marginal farmers should cry the same

Equal pay for equal work
    Sorry, but when you compare sectors - whats equal about any of us getting paid to do nothing? ;)
    Just because you own a few acres, that doesn’t seem very equal...

But in the context of farming - say every farmer gets the same amount per acre?
    Or how about the total pot gets divided by the number of farmers in the country, regardless of acres - this is also equal isn’t it? It’s more equal really, as everyone gets the same...

I think orchard - your view is ‘others have more than me, why shouldn’t I get more’
    That’s a perfectly valid view, but the whole system is a bollox, and to try to dress it up as equal or fair is rubbish - the system itself is both unequal and unfair...

As for striking - farmers have no leverage. We are producing a product no one really wants. Majority of people buy food in shops, as long as the shops have food - no problem. Farmers striking wouldn’t affect this...

Advertisement