Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Universal Basic Income the way forward?

Options
  • 17-02-2020 10:47pm
    Site Banned Posts: 10

Benefits:
    1. Remove the unfair stigma from unemployed.
    2. It will enable society to pursue endeavours outside of work
    3. People will be happier
    4. Classism and sexism will be reduced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I already contribute to a basic income for people who don’t work. I don’t want to do it for people who do as well.

What you suggest is an increase to the dole, and a pointless exchange of cash between those who earn.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 PanMyHans

endacl wrote: »
    I already contribute to a basic income for people who don’t work. I don’twant to do it for people who do as well.

What you suggest is an increase to the dole, and a pointless exchange of cash between those who earn.

It’s not pointless at all. I’ve outlined four points which would greatly benefit society as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

PanMyHans wrote: »
    Benefits:

No. I wouldn't agree with this at all.

I would agree with better payment and more comfortable lives for :

1) People with disabilities who cannot work. It is unfair they are paid the same rates as Jobseekers.

2) For the first 6 months of unemployment.

3) Those unemployed who are retraining to find a job.

Those on carers allowance. They deserve better

Apart from that no I don't want taxpayers money been spent on those who cannot be bothered to contribute to society. We all know the type. Signed on at 18, spend their days playing FIFA, smoking weed, and drinking cans, live in nice houses all subsidized by the taxpayer..... Imagine giving these lads 300 a week......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Benefits:

No there should be stigma for the long term unemployment.

piplip87 wrote: »
    No. I wouldn't agree with this at all.

I would agree with better payment and more comfortable lives for :

1) People with disabilities who cannot work. It is unfair they are paid the same rates as Jobseekers.

2) For the first 6 months of unemployment.

3) Those unemployed who are retraining to find a job.

Those on carers allowance. They deserve better

Apart from that no I don't want taxpayers money been spent on those who cannot be bothered to contribute to society. We all know the type. Signed on at 18, spend their days playing FIFA, smoking weed, and drinking cans, live in nice houses all subsidized by the taxpayer..... Imagine giving these lads 300 a week......

But everyone would get it, thus eliminating classist tendencies of our capital driven society.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    No there should be stigma for the long term unemployment.

That’s a dreadful thing to say.

Benefits:

Ok.

1. There’s no stigma attached to ‘unemployment’ per se. Only to those who won’t work. And they don’t care.

2. I work a six day week. I still find time to pursue endeavours outside of work.

3. How?

4. How?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Benefits:

Welcome to boards, brand new poster.

0/10, it’s like you’re not even trying.

endacl wrote: »
    Ok.

1. There’s no stigma attached to ‘unemployment’ per se. Only to those who won’t work. And they don’t care.

2. I work a six day week. I still find time to pursue endeavours outside of work.

3. How?

4. How?

1. So there is a stigma.

2. Not everyone wants to work 6 days a week. We’re all different.

3. Self evident

4. Classism will become irrelevant because everyone will be paid the same. The wage gap would also be dampened, reducing societal income misogynistic tendencies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

But everyone would get it, thus eliminating classist tendencies of our capital driven society.

How would you fund it?

By taxing the rich?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Benefits:

100% brilliant idea

I think everyone should be able to quit school at junior cert and get paid the same amount, what could go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I'm unsure if I would agree with it.

I don't want those who choose not to work (and yes, it's a small percentage but they exist!) being given more money funded by the taxpayer.

However, I'd love to see more financial supports in place for people on disability allowance due to serious illness or debilitating conditions, or for low earners who work full time.

There's only so much we as a society can expect the taxpayers to fund, though. We don't have an unlimited money pot and I think we're being taxed enough as it is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

1. So there is a stigma.

3. Self evident

4. Classism will become irrelevant because everyone will be paid the same. The wage gap would also be dampened, reducing societal income misogynistic tendencies.

Hello wed all be paid the same for every job?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

While the wasters can laugh at the useful people and the useful people get pissed off with the wasters.

Yeah I love your strategy and it's going to be a big hit.

Anto and Seamus will be out digging lug worm on the sand bar for their fishing trip, meanwhile Flambow will be tying his surfboard on his 2023 2 liter passat estate while John and Sarah are off to their 48 hour a week job.

Meanwhile Jackie and Sandra will be getting some cans at the local. And necking them down while John and Sarah will be in the canteen...

Ohh what a great suggestion

Well that’s me convinced. You’re not talking nonsense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think it is the answer and should be cheaper to fund.
    You.pay Every one 200 per week but recover that fully on income tax on first 400 earnings weekly roughly. So someone earning 400 is no better off than before.
    The huge benefit is that it completely removed the welfare trap.
    If you want to work 5 hours or 50 hours per week you will be better off working.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

Absolutely. Everyone gets it so no one can resent anyone else for having it. Just enough to live with dignity and not much else. If you want more you can work your little heart out. Philosophically very sound. We have our priorities all wrong in this world.

There is nothing admirable about working forty hours a week for forty years to pay the mortgage on some crappy house in an estate full of crappy possessions you don't need. You do it because you have to. You do it because you are a slave. People should work less, not more. There needs to be a paradigm shift and UBI could be the spark that starts that fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

1. So there is a stigma.

3. Self evident

Is a surgeon going to be paid the same as a checkout person in Tesco's in this new system?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

tjdaly wrote: »
    Absolutely. Everyone gets it so no one can resent anyone else for having it. Just enough to live with dignity and not much else. If you want more you can work your little heart out. Philosophically very sound. We have our priorities all wrong in this world.

There is nothing admirable about working forty hours a week for forty years to pay the mortgage on some crappy house in an estate full of crappy possessions you don't need. You do it because you have to. You do it because you are a slave. People should work less, not more. There needs to be a paradigm shift and UBI could be the spark that starts that fire.

Sounds like a good idea I love gardening, fishing surfing and hiking, foraging etc

Probably easier living maybe on the edge of a town or somewhere convenient.

I could sell up my 4 bed detached and retire early as I've no mortgage.
    Scale down.
    Change the 2019 passat estate to something smaller.
    Like a 2 bed warm house etc

Wouldn't it be lovely
    Buy a two bed

Is a surgeon going to be paid the same as a checkout person in Tesco's in this new system?

Eventually yes, the idea is you pursue what you want to do. There are plenty of people that would love to work at a checkout, and some who would love to be a surgeon. Bottom line is they’ll do it for the love of the art, and not for financial gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

And why not. I've asked a few doctors in my time if they would do the same job if the salary was the same as a cleaner's and they all replied in the affirmative. People typically want to be productive and take ownership of their work, in line with their talents, and it is a big myth that the whole system would collapse if differentials in pay were reigned in. And why should a cleaner get paid less than a surgeon? One job is undesirable, the other requires a great degree of training, therefore we could pay them the same. We could pay all of the people who do the most undesirable jobs the same as the people who do the most challenging jobs. Or have a tiered system whereby no one is able to accumulate more than twice as much, or three times as much as anyone else. Surely that would plenty?

Eventually yes, the idea is you pursue what you want to do. There are plenty of people that would love to work at a checkout, and some who would love to be a surgeon. Bottom line is they’ll do it for the love of the art, and not for financial gain.

So I've studied for five years part time while working to increase my skills and should be paid the same as the students working part time who sell me my coffee in the morning.

Is that what you are saying?

Stheno wrote: »
    So I've studied for five years part time while working to increase my skills and should be paid the same as the students working part time who sell me my coffee in the morning.

Is that what you are saying?

What’s so bad about that? You studied because you wanted to, that’s the beauty of this system! You study because you want to, yet you will not be financially worse off whilst/after studying!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

The universal basic income will be mandated from brussels to take effect within all EU member states in time, this is a big plan that will come in in around 4/5 years. Automation will be a reason why this will be implemented and mandated.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

You are a clown .... yeah , imagine there are lots of folk willing to study for 7 years and risk being struck off and lose their livelihood cause of a slip of the knife !!! As opposed to someone stacking bloody beans on a shelf ...
    go away and try harder

hawkelady wrote: »
    You are a clown .... yeah , imagine there are lots of folk willing to study for 7 years and risk being struck off and lose their livelihood cause of a slip of the knife !!! As opposed to someone stacking bloody beans on a shelf ...
    go away and try harder

You won’t be struck off or lose your livelihood. Everyone is equal and therefore allotted the same monetary value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,429 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No, that's not how UB works.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
    Everyone gets a set amount per week. If you work in a job you get an amount over this. Different jobs will have different amounts over this.

tjdaly wrote: »
    And why not. I've asked a few doctors in my time if they would do the same job if the salary was the same as a cleaner's and they all replied in the affirmative. People typically want to be productive and take ownership of their work, in line with their talents, and it is a big myth that the whole system would collapse if differentials in pay were reigned in. And why should a cleaner get paid less than a surgeon? One job is undesirable, the other requires a great degree of training, therefore we could pay them the same. We could pay all of the people who do the most undesirable jobs the same as the people who do the most challenging jobs. Or have a tiered system whereby no one is able to accumulate more than twice as much, or three times as much as anyone else. Surely that would plenty?

So, both of you are advancing the case for communism?

It is unquestionably the most favorable governance system in theory with only a single weak component. The humans being asked to participate in it.

kippy wrote: »
    No, that's not how UB works.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
    Everyone gets a set amount per week. If you work in a job you get an amount over this. Different jobs will have different amounts over this.

Read the answers from the OP on this topic. I understand the principle of basic income, it is not what they are advocating for.

• Advertisement

What’s so bad about that? You studied because you wanted to, that’s the beauty of this system! You study because you want to, yet you will not be financially worse off whilst/after studying!

No I studied to earn more and advance CB e

Are you proposing a USSR style system?

Btw in my job I take time off or my hobbies and vacation at will like today which I took off at zero notice

Advertisement