Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I've just found a 33 year old unopened bottle of Guinness

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

The poor OP

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Goes in cool, goes out hot and trots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

nthclare wrote: »
    Goes in cool, goes out hot and trots

Probably pebble dashed the whole bathroom

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm sure someone will second me if I propose a Darwin Award for our brave\foolhardy\daredevil OP.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

STB. wrote: »
    Well as a food safety expert, you'd know why there are requirements to have BBF dates in the first instance
    It's nothing to do with food safety. A mandatory date of minimum duration on beer, as required under EU Reg. 1169/2011, is daft. Virtually every beer on the market is best before anyone has had a chance to buy it and on a downward curve as soon as it leaves the brewery. Beer doesn't have a date at which it "goes off", and doesn't have a date when it becomes more harmful to health (or the digestive system) than when it was fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with food safety. A mandatory date of minimum duration on beer, as required under EU Reg. 1169/2011, is daft. Virtually every beer on the market is best before anyone has had a chance to buy it and on a downward curve as soon as it leaves the brewery. Beer doesn't have a date at which it "goes off", and doesn't have a date when it becomes more harmful to health (or the digestive system) than when it was fresh.

In the EU directive you quoted, shelf life is referred to as the "date of minimum durability"

Shelf-life is the period of time during which a food maintains its acceptable or desirable characteristics under specified storage and handling conditions.

These acceptable or desirable characteristics can be related to
    • the safety or quality of the product
    • and can be microbiological, chemical or physical in nature.

It may be daft, but its regarded as a foodstuff and is treated the same way once its less than 10% alcohol, Mr Beernut .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

And yet unlike other foodstuffs, it is exempt from listing its ingredients. Can you tell me the sound and non-daft reason for that, Mr STB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

BeerNut wrote: »
    And yet unlike other foodstuffs, it is exempt from listing its ingredients. Can you tell me the sound and non-daft reason for that, Mr STB?

The sound reason no. The drinks industry objected to a lot of things including Health warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

I’m back! alive!

Sorry, was mad busy this last couple of days. Don’t think I want to open it - it’s about the same age as myself, could be a nice keepsake for the mantelpiece....

(In all honesty, I just don’t have the balls to drink it)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

onrail wrote: »
    I’m back! alive!

Sorry, was mad busy this last couple of days. Don’t think I want to open it - it’s about the same age as myself, could be a nice keepsake for the mantelpiece....

(In all honesty, I just don’t have the balls to drink it)

Well this is disappointing, I was expecting a condolence thread with a link to a journal article about some lad who was found plastered to a bathroom wall by his own faeces, mobile in hand and his thumb hovering over the "Submit reply" button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

These guys beat you by 7 years. And have more to celebrate. WARNING for West Brits: this link may disappoint you.
    https://www.armaghi.com/news/40-years-on-rock-bar-survivors-toast-absent-friend-with-guinness-that-saved-lives/38311

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    These guys beat you by 7 years. And have more to celebrate. WARNING for West Brits: this link may disappoint you.
    https://www.armaghi.com/news/40-years-on-rock-bar-survivors-toast-absent-friend-with-guinness-that-saved-lives/38311

Not sure how the bottle of stout played any part in that story... :confused:

irish_goat wrote: »
    Not sure how the bottle of stout played any part in that story... :confused:

The man who was shot decided not to have the Guinness, left early and was shot outside by the Glenane Gang as they arrived to shoot up the pub. Those shots warned everyone and meant the gang did not enter the bar and murder large numbers of people. The Glenane Gang of serving RUC / British army are also responsible for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.

The man who was shot decided not to have the Guinness, left early and was shot outside by the Glenane Gang as they arrived to shoot up the pub. Those shots warned everyone and meant the gang did not enter the bar and murder large numbers of people. The Glenane Gang of serving RUC / British army are also responsible for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.

But he surely would have left regardless of whether or not the Guinness was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well this is disappointing, I was expecting a condolence thread with a link to a journal article about some lad who was found plastered to a bathroom wall by his own faeces, mobile in hand and his thumb hovering over the "Submit reply" button.

To be fair, I disappoint myself.

As an auld bowsie in the local used to say "Arthur Guinness is turning in his grave"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a bottle of 1959 Guinness to celebrate the 200th anniversary.
    No plan to open it but I'd love to know what it tastes like.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

My biggest question is how the bloody hell did it get unnoticed for that length of time?

Last year the missus did a clean out of her mother's kitchen. This is a kitchen they use every day. She found a 29 year old bottle of Harp. You'd be amazed at how long something will sit at the back of a press before someone throws it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

BillyBird wrote: »
    Last year the missus did a clean out of her mother's kitchen. This is a kitchen they use every day. She found a 29 year old bottle of Harp. You'd be amazed at how long something will sit at the back of a press before someone throws it out.

And Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at ya. If you had a 29 year old bottle of Harp

But he surely would have left regardless of whether or not the Guinness was there?

No. He decided to leave rather than have it. Hence early leaving. Hence met gang arriving. Hence his getting shot outside ruined plan.

Had he had it gang would have entered bar.

No. He decided to leave rather than have it. Hence early leaving. Hence met gang arriving. Hence his getting shot outside ruined plan.

Had he had it gang would have entered bar.

Aye but if they hadn't bought it he would have left anyway. If anything, the bottle was more likely to cause trouble as he might have stayed on to drink it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

OP I wouldn't open that, it might be worth something to a collector !!!

It will taste like crap anyway, might get a few quid for it if you sell it unopened - investigate it.

Aye but if they hadn't bought it he would have left anyway. If anything, the bottle was more likely to cause trouble as he might have stayed on to drink it.

I think I’ll be guided by the men who survived the attack rather than the hypothetical.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I have a bottle of 60 years old lambic and am going to drink it in a few months on my 40th. And I'm going to enjoy it. Corked, no label on it so no need to think about best befores

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

snowblind wrote: »
    I have a bottle of 60 years old lambic and am going to drink it in a few months on my 40th. And I'm going to enjoy it. Corked, no label on it so no need to think about best befores

What time? I'll call round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

STB. wrote: »
    The sound reason no. The drinks industry objected to a lot of things including Health warnings.
    To be fair if you need a label to warn you that excess alcohol is bad for you then you're a complete dope and probably can't read the label warning anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

To be fair if you need a label to warn you that excess alcohol is bad for you then you're a complete dope and probably can't read the label warning anyway.

Wait till you see a box of fags

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would leave it close if you haven't blown the hole of yourself with it already. Mate found a double barrel shotgun and rusting shells in his shed years ago. Didn't take much convincing not to fire it, in fear it might back fire, excuse the pun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

sugarman wrote: »
    Virtually worthless, a tenner at best.

Theres a few million bottles made every year, and its a bog standard run of the mill bottle. No special edition / limited run label etc.. and like everything collectable, condition is everything and the condition is poor enough.

10 euro is better than a dodgey pint any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

It'll taste the same as a fresh pint of Beamish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

You're fierce belligerent.

Advertisement