Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ecotrail 2020

Options
  • 11-02-2020 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Ive signed up for the 28km Ecotrail in September. I've never done anything like this before, just the odd 10km run here and there.

Any tips would be recommended. especially some good location for hill training around Wicklow / Dublin to build up the quad strength as reading reviews people said the descents were tough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Look around you, any hill will do!

If you're in Dublin/Wicklow anyway then I'd suggest training on the same mountains that will be in the race, Bray Head and the Sugarloafs (and Djouce for the 80k)

I can confirm that the route is tough :) Stunningly beautiful, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Might look at this myself. Thinking about doing something longer next year, maybe donadee and Connemara ultra. Not for a time but more of just enjoying the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

The 18Km or 28Km routes could be a nice little tune up race prior to DCM. Very interested in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

py wrote: »
    The 18Km or 28Km routes could be a nice little tune up race prior to DCM. Very interested in this!

Don't be afraid of the 45k, I ran it pre DCM last year with no ill effects. You get a bit of a rest on the steeper uphills so it's nowhere near as hard as a marathon.

As Tfb said, the scenery is stunning. The swim/dip in Bray is effing freezing afterwards but makes the pints across the road all the sweeter.

Its expensive enough, is this just because of where it is and cost in running it?

• Advertisement

Its expensive enough, is this just because of where it is and cost in running it?

I think it's down to the ITRA points which are used to get access to UTMB lottery. I believe a race needs to pay a fee for it to be recognised as an ITRA points race. Open to correction on that. Run the Line is similar pricing but doesn't have the ITRA points.

For the 28k, is there anything we would need to bring or will there be some water stations on the course? Take it we would need trail runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

I think it's down to the ITRA points which are used to get access to UTMB lottery. I believe a race needs to pay a fee for it to be recognised as an ITRA points race. Open to correction on that. Run the Line is similar pricing but doesn't have the ITRA points.

It's not down to ITRA points. There is a small cost involved in getting ITRA points. It would add very very little to the cost of individual entries spread out over the number who compete in this. I reckon it would be a fraction of the insurance cost.

None of the races look expensive to me. We're very spoiled in Ireland with so many IMRA races which are ridiculously good value for money.

Enduro wrote: »
    It's not down to ITRA points. There is a small cost involved in getting ITRA points. It would add very very little to the cost of individual entries spread out over the number who compete in this. I reckon it would be a fraction of the insurance cost.

None of the races look expensive to me. We're very spoiled in Ireland with so many IMRA races which are ridiculously good value for money.

I was just coming from a road racing view, wasn't a dig at the event or anything. 28k one has my interest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

I was just coming from a road racing view, wasn't a dig at the event or anything. 28k one has my interest now.

To compare it to the road racing scene you'd have to compare it to the cost of an equivalent international franchise event. Something like the "great" runs, or Rock n'roll runs. Eco Trail is one of the big international fracnhises of trail running. It is the only one of its type in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    To compare it to the road racing scene you'd have to compare it to the cost of an equivalent international franchise event. Something like the "great" runs, or Rock n'roll runs. Eco Trail is one of the big international fracnhises of trail running. It is the only one of its type in Ireland.

Thanks for that. Looks like a good race

Sub430 wrote: »
    Don't be afraid of the 45k, I ran it pre DCM last year with no ill effects. You get a bit of a rest on the steeper uphills so it's nowhere near as hard as a marathon.

I've got signed up for the 25Km which looks like a great route. If it wasn't at the tail end of DCM training block I'd defo go for the 45Km. I'll have the Dublin Half the week prior and probably a 20 miler the week after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Myleftpeg

Very much looking forward to it, gonna try sign up for some shorter distances to get the legs ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Ran the 28k last year, made an arse of the pacing. Was well up in the field until I hit the climb out of kilmac on the way back, faded like a fart in the wind then.

From what I hear the organisers are confident of this event going ahead this year.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

All signed up myself as well. My initial training was in prep for my first ultra at maurice mullins. I know I can get the 50km out of the race alright but god knows how i'll fair at 80km.

In terms of hills around Wicklow/Dublin there's plenty to choose from. I'm based Dúnlaoghaire so would normally do killiney hill loops / Lead mines Ballycouras / or further out i'll travel past enniskerry and hop onto wicklow way at glencullen.

I would say get used to climbing bray head and investigate the little and large sugarloaf if they are close at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Now DCM is cancelled I'm kind of wishing I had signed up for the 45km rather than the 28km. Really hope this goes ahead, it's now my target (only) race!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Anyone got the 45km on Strava or anything else? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Thanks but map from the site isn't working for me for some reason. Think I have it on Strava now though. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

For the 28k, is there anything we would need to bring or will there be some water stations on the course? Take it we would need trail runners?

I bottled the 28k and signed up for 18. You need to bring a minimum of 500ml of water with you, probably easier getting a small hydration backpack rather than carrying a water bottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Only one water station for the 28, around half way.
    You need to bring some fluids with you. Trust me, I know:)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Anybody know how they're going to work this event if social distancing is being recommended at the time of the event? Guessing water/food stops will be a no go as well and we should be self sufficient. Rather quite hesitant to run this given where we're at right now. Same goes for Run the Line later in the year.

Anybody know how they're going to work this event if social distancing is being recommended at the time of the event? Guessing water/food stops will be a no go as well and we should be self sufficient. Rather quite hesitant to run this given where we're at right now. Same goes for Run the Line later in the year.

They sent out a survey just now regarding peoples Covid 19 hesitations

sheriff2 wrote: »
    They sent out a survey just now regarding peoples Covid 19 hesitations

Thanks for that. Nothing received to my email just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Looking at the long route...Im reluctant to shell out for another event for it not to go ahead..
    Was talking to a lad at lunch said one of the races in the series went ahead in Iceland with no problems recently with another 5 to go before Wicklow so they should have it sorted for distancing me thinks but if its shelved what then with the entry.
    Between races and concerts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Has anyone a strava file for the long route?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Has anyone a strava file for the long route?

I found this one from last year https://www.strava.com/activities/2747190520.

Thanks for the messages, I've upped my training quiet a bit and have been hill hunting to melt the quads. I managed to surpass the 2000mtrs of climbing challenge in May. a personal highlight. I've been taking on Kinney Hill / Quarry a good bit and recently took on Rathmichael Woods to the Smelting tour.

Have planned a 15km route on the Dublin Mountain Way from Bradys Shankill to Fairycastle / Treerock for next weekend. also ordered a harness/vest off amazon for 15 quid so looking forward to that.

Going to suss out Bray Head in coming weeks.

Is that a Hydration vest you bought for €15

• Advertisement

Yeah its this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lixada-Lightweight-Breathable-Mountaineering-Marathoner/dp/B07NZT5CX8?th=1

I didnt get the bladder as already have one, Wanted one with front pockets and wider straps as current one for bike bounces around too much when running.

Advertisement